im going to europe and want to use the internal gps of playbook, im not going to buy the 9.99 offline map for each city so does bing work ? or maybe another app?

Also is their an android app that i can sideload that might work?

Thank u!
    05-08-12 02:29 PM
    Bing does not work offline. Google Maps (needs to be sideloaded) ver. 5.9 or 6.0 allows caching of maps for offline use and has functioning, though quirky GPS. MapDroyd (sideloaded) also lets you download maps for offline use and supports GPS. Osmand (in app world) also has downloadable maps for offline use and supports GPS. These apps are all free. A paid app, Magellan, I think now or will shortly have downloadable maps.
    05-08-12 02:47 PM
    With advance planning, Magellan Compass works off-line. You need to plan ahead while on-line and then can use cached maps and saved routes off-line.

Not perfect, but by far the best available for Playbook.
    05-08-12 03:02 PM
    ^^Yeah, what he said. Magellan's come a long, long way.
    05-08-12 03:09 PM
    Kinda hate to suggest it cuz it sounds lame, but hey, with no offline map software at present, here is what I did.

Before heading south to Puerto Vallarta in February, I looked up PV in Bing Maps, found my condo, my friend's condos, the beach and the main downtown shopping area. Then I zoomed the map till it included all these areas while still showing all the street names. Once I had it where I wanted it, I took a screen capture (press both the volume up and down buttons at the same time). The resulting screenshot was then stored in my PB pictures folder. Can't tell you the number of times I consulted that map over the weeks I was there.
    mandony likes this.
    05-08-12 03:21 PM
    nokia maps in the browser allows you to download one map at a time.
    05-08-12 04:18 PM
    im going to europe and want to use the internal gps of playbook, im not going to buy the 9.99 offline map for each city so does bing work ? or maybe another app?

Also is their an android app that i can sideload that might work?

Thank u!
    While I do not like their map-spamming, those maps actually are NOT limited to the locales in their titles. At least, they were not when I managed to score the France-Map for only 99 Cents. I removed it from my pb because I believed it caused backup problems with Desktop Manager. But you could pan elsewhere and zoom in to get detail. I do not think they are necessarily worth the price they are asking since they are ONLY maps - no points-of-interest, no routing. The gps can locate your current position but no tracking.

Mapdroyd can download maps for offline use.

But you have triggered me to reinstall the French map and see if there are any chances to it or my ability to backup. I will say that if you do cache files for locations, I found it creates over 40,000, yes that is FORTY THOUSAND map tiles or separate files - I think that is what causes the backup problems.
    05-08-12 04:35 PM
    I also needed offline maps and tested Osmand. It can take some some time to download the maps to the street level, level 15, but it works very well, I like the offline vector maps, Google and for hiking the mapnik maps, Osmand also has offline turn by turn navigation. Magellan has benn updated and now it supports offline navigation and has the maps from mapquest and mapnik, both application are very good.
    Try to dowload the city maps to the street level and between cities to a higher level, enough to identify the highways and roads.
    05-08-12 05:17 PM
    Up until the last update Bing maps worked great over bridge but that has been disabled for some reason.
    05-08-12 08:20 PM
    ... Then I zoomed the map till it included all these areas while still showing all the street names. Once I had it where I wanted it, I took a screen capture (press both the volume up and down buttons at the same time). The resulting screenshot was then stored in my PB pictures folder. Can't tell you the number of times I consulted that map over the weeks I was there.
    Another way:
    Before your trip, go to the website of the tourist information site of the area to visit. Download their PDF map files. Then, use them on the Adobe reader
    05-09-12 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD