You do realize phoning some customer service rep who is probably out-sourced in India probably won't do much good either.
    Mine definitely not from India. Definitely in the US!
    07-28-11 08:20 AM
    Moved to PB Apps & Games, plus I called yesterday and informed them that I would subscribe IF they offered a PB version. I got the Android spiel.
    07-28-11 08:32 AM
    Just came off the phone with Nick from netflix. He said the reason why they havent developed an app for blackberry was because their servers were based in Canada. I then reiterated that i was referring specifically the playbook tablet which did not go through RIM's servers. He said that there was no information available to him hinting that they are currently developing an app for this platform but CSR's dont ever really find out until the "day of" so development could be underway without his knowledge. He went on to say that he will still pass on my request for the app on the BBPB as they usually do with any app request because they keep a count, which would give them a good idea as to wether or not it is worth developing an app for the platform.
    07-28-11 10:55 AM
    A customer calls "customer service" to ask a question about a BlackBerry/RIM product and is subjected to hearing about Android.....was not aware until now that Netflix and Verizon customer service are one in the same.
    07-28-11 11:24 AM
    A customer calls "customer service" to ask a question about a BlackBerry/RIM product and is subjected to hearing about Android.....was not aware until now that Netflix and Verizon customer service are one in the same.
    Haha! So true! I absolutely HATE Verizon harassing me all the time about moving from BB to Android. What a shame. Maybe if they brought the damn 9930 out they could take my money that way instead!
    07-28-11 03:21 PM
    I CALLED left feedback sating i want it for the playbook, then i noticed that theres a netflix ad banner on the top of this web page, ha
    08-01-11 04:40 PM
    If rim gets a successfully working low memory usage (very important since current leak is a memory hog) android app player released what is the incentive for developers to develop for QNX? Why put all the extra cash flow into R&D for a new product when you can just make a few modifications (if that is even necessary a lot of apps works straight out of the box) and you have a fully functional app on another os. From a business perspective it doesn't make sense for companies to develop for QNX if they already have an Android App. Waste of money to develop if the App is just going to end up in the same marketplace as all the QNX native apps.
    Don't get me wrong I love my playbook had it since day 1 i am just looking at this from a Developer/Business point of view.
    08-01-11 05:06 PM
    If rim gets a successfully working low memory usage (very important since current leak is a memory hog) android app player released what is the incentive for developers to develop for QNX? Why put all the extra cash flow into R&D for a new product when you can just make a few modifications (if that is even necessary a lot of apps works straight out of the box) and you have a fully functional app on another os. From a business perspective it doesn't make sense for companies to develop for QNX if they already have an Android App. Waste of money to develop if the App is just going to end up in the same marketplace as all the QNX native apps.
    Don't get me wrong I love my playbook had it since day 1 i am just looking at this from a Developer/Business point of view.
    True true. Its a plus for consumers on one hand but RIM is essentially shooting themselves in the foot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-11 05:56 PM
    If you are a large enough company, then you can make a platform specific app. If you know what you are doing, you are going to port ios native c-based apps to qnx native c-based apps.

If you are a super large company like netflix and facebook, then you don't even have to make the app yourself --- RIM will basically make an app by themselves.

Android app player is just to have app number bulk --- the one man part-time outfit.
    08-01-11 07:44 PM
    why it has flash just go to the websites
    08-01-11 09:37 PM
    why it has flash just go to the websites
    What? Netflix uses MS Silverlight for online streaming, not Flash.
    08-01-11 09:45 PM
    What? Netflix uses MS Silverlight for online streaming, not Flash.
    Not netflix but the playbook has flash. Just go to ABC's website etc. and watch the content there.
    08-01-11 09:56 PM
    Not netflix but the playbook has flash. Just go to ABC's website etc. and watch the content there.
    Fair enough, but Netflix streams much more than ABC's and others content. What about actual films?
    08-01-11 10:00 PM
    DRM is 99% of the work for an app like Netflix.

Certicom, the RIM subsidiary that is responsible for all things cryptographic, like the FIPS certification, is also responsible for the DRM module on the Playbook.

Certicom Digital Rights Management (DRM)

Now that the Playbook got its FIPS certification, RIM can free up Certicom engineers to work on the DRM.
    08-01-11 10:17 PM
    DRM is 99% of the work for an app like Netflix.

Certicom, the RIM subsidiary that is responsible for all things cryptographic, like the FIPS certification, is also responsible for the DRM module on the Playbook.

Certicom Digital Rights Management (DRM)

Now that the Playbook got its FIPS certification, RIM can free up Certicom engineers to work on the DRM.
    They also have a java module that is still in FIPS. What kills me is TI has done all the work and has netflix certified software for omap 4 platform.
    08-02-11 06:19 AM
    They also have a java module that is still in FIPS. What kills me is TI has done all the work and has netflix certified software for omap 4 platform.
    That's the FIPS module for desktop java, nothing to do with the blackberry.

Go and read TI's press release, they have to license a second OS from Trusted Logic, use OMAP4's M-Shield (aka ARM's Trustzone) hardware virtualization to jump in and out of Android OS into the second OS, and TI also has to license the DRM module (PlayReady) from Microsoft. It's a messy jerryrig.
    08-02-11 11:16 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD