hi all.i am trying out a few things on the playbook.i have a few questions.is there an app simmilar to the stocks app on ipod/ipad.i havee some investments i follow and that free pre installed app works great.shows upto the minute info and graphs.also i converted a few epub books to use on the pb into pdf files.the pdf reader shows all the pages but only displays a few.did a search on here and its a known rim issue with the reader and rim hasnt fixed it yet.can anyone verify the pdf reader will open large files on os2.
    12-29-11 10:58 AM
    You don't need to convert ePub to PDF to use it on the PlayBook. There are some very good ePub apps such as Book Reader.

Just took a look at the Stocks app for iPad and I agree there is some good functionality there. Let us know what you come up with, as one of the people I gifted a PB to spends a lot of time at a laptop trading, and I have been meaning to get around to finding and pointing him to an investment-type app so that he starts to do more with it than Video Chat. (He is not exactly the adventuresome sort so needs a bit of hand-holding.)

UPDATE: just e-mailed Stocks (support@creativeinaustria.com) and GlobeInvestor (mobile@globeandmail.com) to ask whether they are developing anything like this. I will report back if I hear anything.

UPDATE2: GlobeInvestor e-mailed back as follows:

"The Globe and Mail is always coming out with different features to improve the site for our user's convenience which may be available in the future but at the moment we do not have a Globe Investor app for tablets,

Currently we have the following subscriptions with the link provided below;
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/stati...criptions.html

Thank you for your feedback."
    UPDATE3: The Stocks dev e-mailed back as follows:

I looked into platforms like RIM PlayBook and HP Touchpad but decided not to develop for them at the moment.
    Last edited by Disparishun; 12-31-11 at 03:57 PM.
    12-29-11 11:07 AM
    I use QFolio. Not great, but it's ok. I'm trying to find one like Wikinvest on my BB that imports your entire portfolios. Playbook doesn't have one like that yet.
    12-29-11 11:32 AM
    ya i hope os2 has someof these features adressed.they have had lots of feedback on what users want and need.any word if the pdf issue will be fixed.my girlfreind tried a trial ebub reader on her pb and it wouldnt open her files.she wants the pb mostly as a nice ereader but so far we havent got 1 epub to import and open and converting to pdf didnt work either.pdf works great on my pc though
    12-29-11 11:40 AM
    A lot of the web sites work as long as they don't use a special Java app. The main stream web sites like CNBC, WSJ, and Bloomberg also work well too. If you end up on a mobile view, look for the link to go to the full site.

CNBC Pro also works well on the Playbook. I used it all summer to stream CNBC on the Playbook. It offers real time quotes, portfolio tracking and etc. It is a subscription service though.

The web based trading should also work on the Playbook as long as it is a html site. The fancy trading apps that you pay for probably will not work, as they are probably Java virtual machine based (JVM). My brokerage offers Market-Q as an optional service, it is JVM based, but when using it on a PC, if you select to trade through it, the app just opens the regular order entry web page of the brokerage, which is html based. The web page order entry does work on the Playbook.
    12-29-11 11:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD