I am new to BlackBerry and the Playbook is new to me. The recent drop in price made it irresistible. I have now started to populate my PB with apps and am becoming rapidly disappointed. It seems that BB has no quality control over what apps appear in the app store: I wanted an app like Keeper (Apple Store app) on the Ipod Touch for saving password information.

I tried using Password Wallet on the PB...SQL error. Remove, reinstall a few times: same error. As recommended by this forum, I contacted the developer (Infinite Appz). They responded very quickly and using their suggestion (deleting the .db file before reinstalling), got it working. Unadvertized was the fact that the freeware version is limited to only five "cards".

I tried using another app to do the same that claimed it was free. After entering a bunch of data a popup shows that the app is not free but is only a free trial and it's going to cost me $29.99 a year for a subscription. You must be kidding.

I used the PB on the weekend and had it fully charged and then on battery in Stand By for several hours and then went to use it and all I could get out of it was a little over an hour before the batter was dead. This is bad, bad, bad. BB has to do much better if they have any hope in some success.

Believe me, I am not an Apple fan (I can't stand their controlling philosophy) but no issues like this came up on my wife's iPad. I can't wait for the new BB OS to come out. BTW, How functional is the beta 2.0? Are apps available for it now?

Thanks.
    Last edited by a4guy; 01-17-12 at 01:18 PM.
    01-16-12 08:59 AM
    Sounds like you need to do more reading on here. Good luck
    01-16-12 09:27 AM
    I am new to BlackBerry and the Playbook is new to me. The recent drop in price made it irresistible. I have now started to populate my PB with apps and am becoming rapidly disappointed. It seems that BB has no quality control over what apps appear in the app store: I wanted an app like Keeper (Apple Store app) on the Ipod Touch for saving password information.

I tried using Password Wallet on the PB...SQL error. Remove, reinstall a few times: same error.

I tried using another app to do the same that claimed it was free. After entering a bunch of data a popup shows that the app is not free but is only a free trial and it's going to cost me $29.99 a year for a subscription. You must be kidding.

I used the PB on the weekend and had it fully charged and then on battery in Stand By for several hours and then went to use it and all I could get out of it was a little over an hour before the batter was dead. This is bad, bad, bad. BB has to do much better if they have any hope in some success.

Believe me, I am not an Apple fan (I can't stand their controlling philosophy) but no issues like this came up on my wife's iPad. I can't wait for the new BB OS to come out. BTW, How functional is the beta 2.0? Are available for it now?

Thanks.
    Welcome to the forum. While I appreciate your view that every single app that you download should work as advertised, in an imperfect world, some apps have bugs. We developers love to be contacted via the support email address should you discover a problem. Even my app has a bug but he next update fixes the bug and there is an easy workaround.

I think it is proper to complain in a forum like this one if the developer refuses to respond to your request for assistance. Having said that, such developers are in the minority and, in my experience, the vast majority of problems reported by new PB users are caused by inexperience, unrealistic expectations or failing to understand some of PB's quirks.

We also get a lot of complaints that we charge too much for our apps and/or services but for many users "free" would be considered the highest acceptable asking price. Please note that nobody is forcing you to pay for something that you think is too expensive.

Apps aside, I think that the problem that you reported with your battery leads me to suspect that you either have a hardware malfunction or you are exaggerating just a little bit. If one hour of operation were the norm for this device, then I am certain that we would be seeing a lot more complaints of this nature for the approx 8000,000 PB users out there. However, I am not an expert on battery performance so I will leave this problem for other forum users to help you resolve.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-know-671764/
    pigdude and KermEd like this.
    01-16-12 09:53 AM
    I think it is proper to complain in a forum like this one if the developer refuses to respond to your request for assistance. Having said that, such developers are in the minority and, in my experience, the vast majority of problems reported by new PB users are caused by inexperience, unrealistic expectations or failing to understand some of PB's quirks.

We also get a lot of complaints that we charge too much for our apps and/or services but for many users "free" would be considered the highest acceptable asking price. Please note that nobody is forcing you to pay for something that you think is too expensive.

Apps aside, I think that the problem that you reported with your battery leads me to suspect that you either have a hardware malfunction or you are exaggerating just a little bit. If one hour of operation were the norm for this device, then I am certain that we would be seeing a lot more complaints of this nature for the approx 8000,000 PB users out there. However, I am not an expert on battery performance so I will leave this problem for other forum users to help you resolve.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-know-671764/
    Thanks for the comments. I have no problem for paying for apps that are advertised as such. But it bothers me when an app is described as free and it turns out to have a 15-day limit on it especially since I spent time uploading information to it. BB shouldn't list apps that don't work.

Regarding the battery issue: i had various apps in the background and only had a clock running in the foreground (I was chechkointing on a car rally and wanted the large diplay that the PB gave). When it died, I switched to a similar clock on my iPod Touch. At other times, I have used the PB for much longer than an hour on battery with no problem. Was it the clock that killed the battery? Wifi was off.

I guess I'll have to spend some time browsing this forum to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.
    01-16-12 10:27 AM
    Thanks for the comments. I have no problem for paying for apps that are advertised as such. But it bothers me when an app is described as free and it turns out to have a 15-day limit on it especially since I spent time uploading information to it. BB shouldn't list apps that don't work.

Regarding the battery issue: i had various apps in the background and only had a clock running in the foreground (I was chechkointing on a car rally and wanted the large diplay that the PB gave). When it died, I switched to a similar clock on my iPod Touch. At other times, I have used the PB for much longer than an hour on battery with no problem. Was it the clock that killed the battery? Wifi was off.

I guess I'll have to spend some time browsing this forum to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.
    I appreciate your comment. It is a common misconception that the App World approval process guarantees that an app is free of bugs and operates exactly as advertised. The bugs and description are the responsibility of the individual developer. The developer, not RIM licenses the app to you , and is responsible for it's performance.

Having said that, there are a few (and one is too many) developers who push the envelope on subterfuge and try to take advantage of consumers' general lack of awareness. These few bad apples offer apps that, while barely qualifying for acceptance into App World, are certainly not worth the price being asked. Reputable developers are every bit as concerned as you are that these crooks are casting a negative pall over the App World experience.

That's why is is extremely important to read app descriptions as much for what they say, but for things that are omitted. If in doubt, a quick search in this forum for the name of the app, will help you avoid unscrupulous app world vendors.

As for the battery problem, I suggest you search the forum for an app called Battery Guru whose author is a very active member and will be happy to answer your questions.

And I highly recommend the link that I provided in my initial post.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-16-12 11:03 AM
    BB shouldn't list apps that don't work.
    I don't think any developer purposely submits non-functional apps, but bugs do slip through the cracks. For example, Password Wallet seems to work fine for me, so to just dismiss is as an app that doesn't work seems unfair. More likely, your particular configuration or installation has bumped into a bug. The best you can do is contact the developer and work with them to identify and fix the problem. I think most developers are grateful for bug reports, particularly those users willing to try and test things to help identify the source of the problem. It's extremely hard for developers to fix bugs when all they have to go from is "app broken".
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    01-16-12 11:15 AM
    That's weird since I use the Password Wallet app with no crashes, I works just fine for me, even though I like the Remember It app better, also I been using it with not a single crash or server down or anything. You should contact the developer, to get help.
    01-16-12 11:56 AM
    regarding the battery issue, it could be that you haven't accepted the Video Chat permissions just yet. It usually drains a lot of battery when you haven't opened it yet
    01-16-12 01:25 PM
    The issue with video chat was resolved last summer and hasn't been a problem since about 1.0.3.

Is the OP using the 2.0 beta? It has some issues that may include not entering standby properly. That could leave the screen on (but blank) and suck a lot of battery. There are other possibilities too, but not enough described above to pick among them....
    01-16-12 01:57 PM
    That's weird since I use the Password Wallet app with no crashes, I works just fine for me, even though I like the Remember It app better, also I been using it with not a single crash or server down or anything. You should contact the developer, to get help.
    It was the Remebemr It app that surprised me with the notice that it had a 15-day limit AFTER I had entered a good pile of stuff. Perhaps I missed something on the App page.
    01-16-12 02:00 PM
    The issue with video chat was resolved last summer and hasn't been a problem since about 1.0.3.

Is the OP using the 2.0 beta? It has some issues that may include not entering standby properly. That could leave the screen on (but blank) and suck a lot of battery. There are other possibilities too, but not enough described above to pick among them....
    I'm the OP. Nope, I'm still on the latest version of 1.x.

I just did a test this morning leaving the PB in Stand By with no apps running, and wifi turned off: battery charge dropped from 99% to 98% after 4 hours. So I think the battery is fine. My next test will be with a few apps in the background and the unit in Stand By. If battery reserve drops, I'll repost with my findings.
    01-16-12 02:04 PM
    regarding the battery issue, it could be that you haven't accepted the Video Chat permissions just yet. It usually drains a lot of battery when you haven't opened it yet
    Thanks. I discovered that before you posted. I had not accepted the Video Chat screen before the problem.
    01-16-12 02:05 PM
    Thanks. I discovered that before you posted. I had not accepted the Video Chat screen before the problem.
    This post is issued under the category: Broken and Misleading Advice

You posted this after peter9477 posted his rebuttal of advice pertaining to the video chat app. It bears repeating that the specific problem had been corrected and it is no longer necessary to accept the agreement for the chat app. So if the reported battery problem corrects itself, please do not attribute it to this particular "cause".
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 01-16-12 at 02:47 PM.
    01-16-12 02:41 PM
    I took your advice and emailed the guys at InfiniteAppz (responsible for Password Wallet). Although I haven't tried their solution yet (to delete the "PasswordWalletLite.db" file before reinstalling the same app), you have to give them full marks for getting back to me quickly. Considering that it's an SQL error, my guess is that something went wrong in my initial installation of the app.

However the guy from InfiniteAppz did say that the "lite" version can only handle five "cards", so it would be pretty limited (good enough to give it a test though).
    Last edited by a4guy; 01-17-12 at 09:39 AM.
    01-17-12 08:47 AM
    I took your advice and emailed the guys at InfiniteAppz (responsible for Password Wallet). Although I haven't tried their solution yet (to delete the "PasswordWalletLite.db" file before reinstalling the same app), you have to give them full marks for getting back to me quickly. Considering that it's an SQL error, my guess is that something went wrong in my initial installation of the app.

However the guy from InfiniteAppz did say that the "lite" version can only handle five "cards", so it would be pretty limited (good enough to give it a test though).
    Please consider updating your original post to reflect this new information. Also, be aware when you reinstall the app, it will likely ask you for permission to access the file system. If you trust the app, you should grant permission, otherwise the database cannot be created.

Unfortunately, the current implementation of the install process does not allow the developer to explain why permission is needed for certain resources and there is a tendency for users to be intimidated by the request and deny access. For this reason, I recommend to always put databases in the application data area where user permission is not required.

I notice that there is a 1/2 star review for this app, highlighting the SQL error problem. It is unfortunate that users cannot edit or remove misleading reviews but if this review is not of your doing, the developer will no doubt appreciate your adding a new review concerning his good service.
    01-17-12 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD