I downloaded the Blackberry bridge application directly from the browser on my blackberry bold - 9700. It works like a charm with my blackberry playbook. Please use the link below and make sure you know your blackberry device OS - either OS5 or OS6.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...erryBridge.jad for os 6

or

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...yBridgeOS5.jad for os5.

enjoy and thanks.

Babsik.
    04-27-11 04:08 AM
    I downloaded everything properly for OS 6 (Torch). I can use the Bridge except no Bridge Browser icon appears.

How is it that some ATT people can use the browser and others have it blocked???

Bridge Browser feature is pivotal for me so I really appreciate anyone's assistance on getting this workaround fixed.

Oh, BTW ATT really sucks for doing this to us.

I will remember this at contract renewal time.

Unfortunately, if this is not worked out before the refund period @ Office Depot (14 days), I am going to return the Playbook.

It's really too bad it has come to this
    04-27-11 07:32 AM
    well I like the device and I am keeping it just hoping and waiting for software updates.

ATT should rot in **** for this though. I used the OTA bridge app dl and everything works great except for the most important feature- the bridge browser!!!

If Att does not allow bridge, I will leave them and urge all BB users and potential PB owners to do the same. This bridge blocking is simply a disgrace.

Also I want to see or hear more news on whats being done between RIM and ATT to resolve this important issue for PB owners....
    04-27-11 12:28 PM
    I downloaded the bridge from these OTA links onto my AT&T-locked 9700 running 6.0.0.461 last night because a friend brought his PlayBook to let me tinker with. I bridged with no problems whatsoever. Read e-mails on the PB, opened a .pdf file attachment on the PB, no problem. Loading it over BT was a tad slow, but it performed just fine.

Bridge Files only supports Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and .pdfs! You cannot use the Bridge to play music, videos, or view pics from your BB's SD card on the PlayBook, which is a real shame.
    04-27-11 12:38 PM
    Anyone can help please , I download the bridge (att) I can conncet with my playbook view emails calendar etc.. But can't use the browser it only gets me to google main page and that's about it can't get any further then the home page I can't internet tehtering any advice please thank you for u guys help

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! ALX file

1) extract the zip file

2) Plug in device>Open Desktop Manager

3) Select Apploader>Add/Remove Applications

4) Select Add

5) Browse where the file is

6) Select the .alx file and Select Open>Select Next

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! Cods files
    use BBSAK..
    OTA LINKS from the front page
    http://bit.ly/BlackberryBridge os 6

http://bit.ly/BlackBerryBridgeOS5 os5[/QUOTE]

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-11 12:52 PM
    04-27-11 11:40 PM
    Can anyone clear this up for me...

I have an AT&T BB Torch and I am considering buying a playbook. Before I do, I want to ensure that I can Bridge AND Tether my Playbook to my Torch. Two questions:

1) Is this possible

2) Will additional charges be applied

I have tried to find the answer in the forums but now I am just more confused!
    04-28-11 07:50 AM

I have an AT&T BB Torch and I am considering buying a playbook. Before I do, I want to ensure that I can Bridge AND Tether my Playbook to my Torch. Two questions:

1) Is this possible

Bridge will work but you will have to use the crackberry method of installing it on your torch as at&t is still "testing" it for "compatibility" [rolleyes] That will allow you to use the organizer apps from your torch on the playbook, as well as a basic browser using your BB data plan. If you tether, you will be charged for a tethering plan because that is a direct connection from the playbook to the internet, using your phone as a modem.
    cinder0008 likes this.
    04-28-11 07:53 AM

1) Is this possible

1) Yes, you can bridge and tether, use one or both at the same time.

2) Yes, for tethering, that is, if AT&T allows you to tether without a plan. Worst that could happen is that you will not authenticate and not be able to tether at all until you add a tethering plan. Bridge browser is hopelessly slow, dont count on it to do any fast surfing, this site takes like 3 minutes to load lol.
    cinder0008 likes this.
    04-28-11 07:57 AM
    zoso2,

First, thank you very much for replying. Can you tell me what you mean by Basic browser?
    04-28-11 07:58 AM
    zoso2,

First, thank you very much for replying. Can you tell me what you mean by Basic browser?
    Does Basic just mean slow, or are there features missing?
    04-28-11 08:08 AM
    Does Basic just mean slow, or are there features missing?
    "Basic browser" = bridge browser, the browser thats used for surfing the web on the playbook using the blackberry OS browser services, and traffic goes through BIS servers, which is why its not considered tethering. Right now, the bridge browser is trash, not because of the bridge implementation per se, but because the software is unfinished, its helluva slow. Its actually slower than the OS5 browser lol
    cinder0008 likes this.
    04-28-11 08:13 AM
    "Basic browser" = bridge browser, the browser thats used for surfing the web on the playbook using the blackberry OS browser services, and traffic goes through BIS servers, which is why its not considered tethering. Right now, the bridge browser is trash, not because of the bridge implementation per se, but because the software is unfinished, its helluva slow. Its actually slower than the OS5 browser lol
    Thank you for the info. IYO, will future updates will make this experience better?
    And do you think there will be application options like Tether, Xtop, or Fixmo Extend on the playbook?
    04-28-11 09:07 AM
    zoso2,

I believe zoso2 is mistaken on the Bridge Browser. AT&T has it disabled as they are "studying" it.

The other bridge apps work when downloading via the cod files workaround.
    04-28-11 09:12 AM
    Thank you for the info. IYO, will future updates will make this experience better?
    And do you think there will be application options like Tether, Xtop, or Fixmo Extend on the playbook?
    Future updates will certainly make it better, probably be nicely polished in like 3 months. More apps will also be available. Better way to know if your apps have plans of development for the playbook is to write an email to the developer. They sometimes give estimates, or yes there are plans, or no there are no plans. But yes, more apps will come. And more will come if RIM adds support for java and c++ on the playbook. Right now, its adobe action script and AIR only.
    Last edited by gbsn; 04-28-11 at 09:19 AM.
    cinder0008 likes this.
    04-28-11 09:13 AM
    Future updates will certainly make it better, probably be nicely polished in like 3 months. More apps will also be available. Better way to know if your apps have plans of development for the playbook is to write an email to the developer. They sometimes give estimates, or yes there are plans, or no there are no plans. But yes, more apps will come. And more will come if RIM adds support for java and c++ on the playbook. Right now, its adobe action script and AIR only.
    gbsn,

Last question, I promise!

I lean heavily toward RIM products but as a consumer this is a big purchase for me. Should I wait for the next release or do you think that the majority of the playbook woes will be solved in this entry version?
    04-28-11 09:23 AM

1) Is this possible

As Zoso2 says, the Bridge will work thru the Crackberry "back door" ... I also have AT&T with a Bold 9700 and bought the tethering plan yesterday, which has worked pretty well (although not as well as my home wifi unfortunately, which has me spoiled). You will still not be able to get to AppStore without a wifi connection.
    04-28-11 09:59 AM
    As Zoso2 says, the Bridge will work thru the Crackberry "back door" ... I also have AT&T with a Bold 9700 and bought the tethering plan yesterday, which has worked pretty well (although not as well as my home wifi unfortunately, which has me spoiled). You will still not be able to get to AppStore without a wifi connection.
    How much was your tethering plan?
    04-28-11 10:14 AM
    How much was your tethering plan?
    I previously had a $15/month plan (that I never went over despite heavy phone browsing) so I had to go up to the $45 tethering plan that gives me (IIRC) 4GB/month. I really wish there were more wifi spots around but until there are I will have to sacrifice my dollars.
    cinder0008 likes this.
    04-28-11 10:35 AM
    Has anyone tried using the blackberry bridge WITH the tethering plan from AT&T to see if there is any truth behind the rumor that AT&T is holding off on the release to get ppl to buy the tethering service?

Thanx,
    jeannie919 likes this.
    04-28-11 11:33 AM
    Has anyone tried using the blackberry bridge WITH the tethering plan from AT&T to see if there is any truth behind the rumor that AT&T is holding off on the release to get ppl to buy the tethering service?

Thanx,
    With or without tethering on, the bridge browser is slow. Using the normal browser and tethered is a much better experience.
    04-28-11 11:48 AM

Thanx,
    Yes, have been using both together since I got the tethering plan. And I agree with NetworkGuy that the bridge browser is slow alone or with tethering.
    Last edited by jeannie919; 04-28-11 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added something
    04-28-11 11:53 AM
    I agree with most comments that the Bridge Browser is slow, but what did you expect? While your BB device may be 3G, the speed of a BT connection is slower compared to true throughput speed when on WiFi only. Hence, you won't get WiFi speeds on webpages when they load. I find the Bridge Browser as a convenience when I need it, not something I rely on.

For me personally, my Bridge Browser works just fine. It will load the website pages when I need it. Would I want to "always" use this browser or connection, absolutely not. Thank goodness for free Wifi at various locations around Boston. I'm hopeful that RIM will figure out some sort or software upgrade to the Bridge Browser to increase throughput but we'll have to wait and see.
    04-28-11 12:46 PM
    gbsn,

Last question, I promise!

I lean heavily toward RIM products but as a consumer this is a big purchase for me. Should I wait for the next release or do you think that the majority of the playbook woes will be solved in this entry version?
    The QNX OS is a pretty solid piece of software, if anything, any crappiness, lack of maintenance, or bad implementations, should be blamed at RIM. QNX has more potential than the iOS and probably android, its much more advanced, but it is as advanced as the developers make it. Still, by this day, even with QNX, RIM hasnt been able to match the scrolling smoothness of the iOS.

In any given case, probably the next playbook will come out by next year, which is a lot of time for a software company to polish an OS. The playbook is not hindered back by hardware, so most woes are just software and most woes are not really "bugs", but more like a lack of implementation of logic or thought, which usually happens in rushed products, they are more like "features" that they just forgot or went unnoticed or are unfinished. But i can't really speak for RIM, if they actually want, they could have a flawless OS by the end of the summer, but will they invest money and time in doing so, i dont know.

I for one wanted to return the playbook due to lack of apps and because it has really silly programming mistakes, which as i said, they just foolishly overlooked, but sadly, there is no other tablet that will be able to tether as well as this one with a blackberry. So, i decided to have more patience and give it some time, as i enjoy its form factor. Currently, the motorola xoom, as far as i know, cant tether with a blackberry due to DUN discrepancies between both platforms. And the ipad well, 0% compatibility with a blackberry, unless you jailbreak it, and then jailbreaking it, it still wont give you full tethering speeds. In addition, the playbook will probably be the only tablet supporting more than three different programming languages, including adobe AIR, action script, c++, java, for which AIR groups HTML5, ajax, javascript, kind of like webworks. Which if implemented correctly, again by RIM, will attract a crapload of developers. These are two main reasons why i like the playbook, full compatible with blackberry devices for tethering and several programming languages to develop on in the future. As of right now you can see small programming console players like BASIC and python in app world.

As for the bridge browser, tethering does not affect it at all. I dont think its only AT&T customers the ones suffering from crappy bridge browser speeds, as i've heard and read from people in other carriers. AT&T possibly, has no way to detect such traffic using conventional means like they do with tethering, which is probably why it has been held back for so long. It may work much like "Tether" the app for blackberry, which offers decent speeds and has a similar implementation, and yet, its not blocked by AT&T as of this day. Tethering provides full 3G/4G internet in the whole tablet, which means, weather and any other app that requires internet will work via tethering.

I agree with most comments that the Bridge Browser is slow, but what did you expect? While your BB device may be 3G, the speed of a BT connection is slower compared to true throughput speed when on WiFi only. Hence, you won't get WiFi speeds on webpages when they load. I find the Bridge Browser as a convenience when I need it, not something I rely on.

For me personally, my Bridge Browser works just fine. It will load the website pages when I need it. Would I want to "always" use this browser or connection, absolutely not. Thank goodness for free Wifi at various locations around Boston. I'm hopeful that RIM will figure out some sort or software upgrade to the Bridge Browser to increase throughput but we'll have to wait and see.
    Tethering works fine over bluetooth. Bluetooth is not the one hindering back the bridge browser, its the actual bridge software.
    Last edited by gbsn; 05-01-11 at 04:26 PM.
    cinder0008 likes this.
    04-28-11 04:27 PM
    Hence my last sentence. "I'm hopeful that RIM will figure out some sort or software upgrade to the Bridge Browser to increase throughput but we'll have to wait and see."
    04-28-11 05:51 PM
454 ... 16171819
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD