I have a feeling At&t will make you add a tethering plan for the bridge to be able to work
    04-19-11 07:47 AM
    If this is true we need a class action against AT&T to release us from our contracts early.
    04-19-11 07:50 AM
    all the other tabs HAVE email, calender and contacts apps. the PB has none loaded at all if you dont have bridge. This is the point all of us without BBs tried to explain many times
    It still does not make it worthless and as everyone knows they will be there shortly and in the mean time if you really need your mail on it use the damn browser it won't kill anyone.
    04-19-11 07:50 AM
    I have a feeling At&t will make you add a tethering plan for the bridge to be able to work
    Duh....

Anyone who thought AT&T was going to sit by and let this happen was only fooling themselves. If they allowed this they would have had to allow the personal hot spot built in to iOS for free as well.....and there is no way in **** that was going to happen.
    04-19-11 07:52 AM
    Okay. I installed the Bridge on my AT&T Torch. Bridging works. BUT . . . . NO FRICKIN Bridge Browser!

Contact, email, calander all work. No Browser.
    This whole mess doesn't make sense. If AT&T has figured out a way to let us have email, calender etc but no bridge browser then why would they have prevented us from downloading the bridge app in the first place?
    04-19-11 07:54 AM
    If Bridge is not working, with whatever carrier, this means the PlayBook does not have internet unless it's on WiFi. Nice... I was going to stop by Staples and maybe pick it up, but if I don't have internet at work (no wireless) then WTF am I going to do with this thing?

If this is a mistake, then it's RIM's fault for not looking into ALL possible issues prior to launch. The very - very - last thing you want is a bad launch, that will KILL your sales.
    04-19-11 07:54 AM
    If Bridge is not working, with whatever carrier, this means the PlayBook does not have internet unless it's on WiFi. Nice... I was going to stop by Staples and maybe pick it up, but if I don't have internet at work (no wireless) then WTF am I going to do with this thing?

If this is a mistake, then it's RIM's fault for not looking into ALL possible issues prior to launch. The very - very - last thing you want is a bad launch, that will KILL your sales.
    It's no mistake, IMO....it's a bait & switch on RIM's part. Major carrier in the US doesn't allow a key function of their new device and they never bothered to mention that to anyone.

Pretty shameful on RIM's part, IMO.
    04-19-11 07:57 AM
    Just another sign of at&t trying to milk their customers for every penny....
    04-19-11 07:59 AM
    We need to start a dumpAT&T.com page and start getting people to leave them as soon as possible. AT&T has
    become such a horrible carrier and just rated last in consumer reports its time to get rid of them.
    RIM's playbook support number 1 877 644 8410
    Last edited by dfaris; 04-19-11 at 08:04 AM.
    04-19-11 08:00 AM
    What a cluster this will be if true. This is one reason you don't want to have to depend on another device for certain functions although is 60days this should be a moot point Us carriers are about $$$. I figured the email/contacts stuff wouldn't have been a problem but once the talk of using the bridge to browse the internet. I figured they weren't going to let that one slide.

Seems like I mentioned in a thread US carriers trying to find a way to charge for this function, hope AT&T buckles because if not, expect Verizon to follow suit.
    04-19-11 08:03 AM
    Why would any carrier allow you to use your phone for web browsing for free? Thats called a mobile hotspot and every carrier already charges you money for the privelage. Not saying I agree with thier greedy policy, but it is what it is.
    04-19-11 08:04 AM
    To be honest i think this is an At&T move, if bridge was "buggy" why does it work with all other carriers? I just want to point out how the world is starting to look with At&T and VZ with 80% of subscribers if the Tmo deal goes through, more d**k moves, of course at the expense of the consumer.
    04-19-11 08:05 AM
    It still does not make it worthless and as everyone knows they will be there shortly and in the mean time if you really need your mail on it use the damn browser it won't kill anyone.
    Nope it's not worthless and the function should be coming in the next 60 days but not off to a good start.

I'm waiting for the native PIM functions and hope they support activesync and then evaluate again, hopefully any little quirks will be worked out by then
    04-19-11 08:07 AM
    I just called RIM and they said the bridge for AT&T is not available and wont be for a few weeks. I'm guessing it will never be available without a charge. It's time to start looking at other options for carriers and tablets. Its a crime for one of the biggest selling points of the playbook not to be working. If I'm going to get swindled into buying something I will be looking at other options. The Xoom is not looking so bad right now.
    Last edited by dfaris; 04-19-11 at 08:14 AM.
    04-19-11 08:12 AM
    Why would any carrier allow you to use your phone for web browsing for free? Thats called a mobile hotspot and every carrier already charges you money for the privelage. Not saying I agree with thier greedy policy, but it is what it is.
    Its not free you already pay for browsing on your phone,
    04-19-11 08:15 AM
    Its not free you already pay for browsing on your phone,
    That argument hasn't been applicable for any other device out there, so there is no reason to think that RIM, with their diminished clout, will be able to put a dent in a carrier's stance on the subject.

My initial reaction was surprise, only in that Verizon wasn't listed there as well. But then I started to think about it and remembered that Verizon really doesn't stock much in the way of Blackberry devices anymore.
    04-19-11 08:19 AM
    It is not a "hotspot" as you call it. A hotspot allows more than one device to connect and the playbook does not do that.
    04-19-11 08:24 AM
    I just died laughing.
    04-19-11 08:25 AM
    It is not a "hotspot" as you call it. A hotspot allows more than one device to connect and the playbook does not do that.
    Splitting hair's bro. The principle is the same. You are using your mobile phones internet connection for another device.
    04-19-11 08:29 AM
    I just called RIM and they said the bridge for AT&T is not available and wont be for a few weeks. I'm guessing it will never be available without a charge. It's time to start looking at other options for carriers and tablets. Its a crime for one of the biggest selling points of the playbook not to be working. If I'm going to get swindled into buying something I will be looking at other options. The Xoom is not looking so bad right now.
    Well the xoom won't be any better, no tethering, no bridge, only wifi unless you buy a 3g or 4g one then you are paying for another data plan anyway so wtf is the difference?

If the biggest selling point is the bridge then the playbook is a fail.
    04-19-11 08:29 AM
    This sucks a lot

Edit: I extracted the cods, install them using bbsak or through DM using the ALX file.

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! ALX file

1) extract the zip file

2) Plug in device>Open Desktop Manager

3) Select Apploader>Add/Remove Applications

4) Select Add

5) Browse where the file is

6) Select the .alx file and Select Open>Select Next

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! Cods files
    use BBSAK..
    Thank you for doing this. I installed bridge successfully on my AT&T 9700, once my PB arrives today I will test bridge. THank you again
    04-19-11 08:30 AM
    Splitting hair's bro. The principle is the same. You are using your mobile phones internet connection for another device.
    May be splitting hairs but the iphone/android can have several devices connected using data and a lot more data than any one device could use. So it's fair to charge the same price to allow one device to connect and use data as the price for hotspot where several devices can connect and use 10 times the data?
    04-19-11 08:31 AM
    I agree 100%. If RIM doesn't solve this they are officially dead to me and I my loyalty in not moving to Android is officially over! Nice job RIM! No wonder your stock is at $52.
    04-19-11 08:32 AM
    Please tell me you made this up. This can not be true. If true, RIM should be put out of business right away and should be sued for failing to disclose a major device limitation (ATT is just too big to take down but them too). No wonder the CEO has been flipping out. If you really can't bridge with ATT on launch day it is a total failure and this device is truly DOA.
    04-19-11 08:32 AM
    I take it as my personal responsibility to post this thread everywhere. You should too, do not let AT&T win.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 08:35 AM
454 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD