I downloaded the Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle books app onto my BlackBerry Playbook this evening, (1) but I can't get it to download any books at all. I have a Kindle and would like to read them on the BlackBerry Playbook.
    I have read the instructions but don't know where I can find how to 'navigate any shared data folders on the Playbook using the Book Reader's built in file explorer.
    When I open the Book Reader is says to tap the blue book with a green + in the top left corner but there is nothing under books.
    I have no idea how to download any books. I have emailed the support but no one back till 5th Feb.
    Can anyone help?
    02-01-12 04:39 PM
    open the application, press the book with the plus sign in the upper left corner, navigate to where you have saved the book on the playbook (did you save it in downloads, or in books, etc), highlight the book you want imported (you can select more than one at a time), then press the plus sign in the upper right corner.

Cheers
    carolemiller33 likes this.
    02-01-12 05:06 PM
    I don't know how to download the books. I have a Kindle but not sure how to access these books from the PlayBook.
    02-01-12 05:15 PM
    I downloaded the Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle books app onto my BlackBerry Playbook this evening, (1) but I can't get it to download any books at all. I have a Kindle and would like to read them on the BlackBerry Playbook.
    I have read the instructions but don't know where I can find how to 'navigate any shared data folders on the Playbook using the Book Reader's built in file explorer.
    When I open the Book Reader is says to tap the blue book with a green + in the top left corner but there is nothing under books.
    I have no idea how to download any books. I have emailed the support but no one back till 5th Feb.
    Can anyone help?
    You've already logged in to your Amazon/Kindle account? You order the books beforehand, then download. And you need to be logged in with the app so the system knows it's your account. Unlike the Kindle, which they usually preregister to your account, the App won't know which account to use till you do that. And you'll need to manually download the books. Only a Kindle device gets automatic downloading via available wifi or 3G.

Your profile doesn't say where you are. But in the US, there's a blog at Free Kindle Books and Tips | Maximize The Enjoyment of Your Kindle! that has tips, but best of all, links to free books offered by the US Amazon site. For $.99/month you can have the blog delivered to your Kindle. It's Michael Gallagher's Free Kindle Books and Tips.
    02-01-12 05:20 PM
    I don't know how to download the books. I have a Kindle but not sure how to access these books from the PlayBook.
    To clarify, you don't transfer from your Kindle. You download from your Kindle account at Amazon.
    02-01-12 05:22 PM
    You are trying to read kindle books in epub reader? If that's the case, you need to convert the downloaded on your pc with calibre program , you highlight the files, choose bulk convert, save as epub into a folder on the PB (you have wifi sharing on or have the USB cable hooked up).

Once you save the books in epub format on your PB, open epub reader and hit the green button on the upper left (with the arrow pointing left) until you get to the screen with your library and then you hit the book with the plus sign, upper left. Next steer it to the folder where your books are and click an epub title and then the green check mark, upper right, and that highlights all the readable books in that folder. Now hit the plus sign upper right and it asks you if you want to add all those books to your library and you click yes.

Hope this helps.

Calibre free ebook manager:

http://calibre-ebook.com/
    02-01-12 05:26 PM
    Probably will still not be able to read the kindle books in this application unless the DRM protection is removed. Generally speaking you will need a Kindle app to read books from Amazon. Nook app to read books from Barns and Noble, And Kobo app to read books from the defunked Borders. This is a MAJOR issue with E-Books. Even though the books may all be epub, they are tied to their sellers reader! I understand the is a way to strip out the "protection" but its extra conversion steps. Wish they would puse a single method that would allow you to buy from any e-book seller and use on any reader application. basically i think its tied to your Amazon or B&N accounts.

I bought into the NooK with its first version with e-ink display. I like the display. The reader software however could use a lot of improvements. I am not likely to see that with my current Nook device though. I really want a nook reader for the Playbook, and have e-mailed them several times. But no luck so far. i want it mostly for when I travel. I actually prefer to read stuff on the nook. Easier on my eyes. But I don't want to carry the Nook, Playbook, and Laptop when I travel.
    02-01-12 05:36 PM
    I am in the UK.
    I have the Amazon account open and when I click Actions, I get the choice of delivering to my Kindle,(already downloaded) my Kindle for PC (already downloaded) and my phone. I clicked My Phone but it hasn't appeared anywhere on the PlayBook.
    I have the Amazon account open on my PlayBook.
    I also have tried downloading via USB cable from Amazon account on my laptop to the PlayBook but getting nowhere.
    I can't get the Amazon account to know there is a Playbook.

This reader was only brought out on 26th Jan 2012 and it says it is for Kindle readers.
    02-01-12 05:39 PM
    Somehow I have managed to download one book and when trying to import it, it says that the book is protected by DRM controls and the Book Reader doesn't support such books. But this reader is called Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle books!!!!
    02-01-12 05:45 PM
    Yes, you can read ebooks with epub and azw extensions with this application. Nevertheless, if the book has DRM on it, you will need to remove it before reading it. Several PC applications will do this. I use "Kindle DRM Removal" at eBook DRM removal - Remove epub DRM - Kindle drm remover - Digital Editions Converter.

Back to your original question, I use the following method to transfer Kindle books to my Playbook. It requires that you have installed the Kindle reader app on your PC.

1) Log into your Kindle account at Amazon
    2) Send the book to your PC Reader application
    3) Locate the folder on your PC where the Kindle PC Reader stores books. On my PC it's in ...My Documents/My Kindle Content.
    4) Connect your Playbook to the PC using a USB cable
    5) Copy the .epub or .azw file to somewhere on the Playbook (I use the Books folder)
    6) Open the Book Reader app, click the book+ icon in the upper left hand corner, navigate to the file, select it, and click the big + icon in the upper right-hand corner
    7) Click Import on the confirmation prompt.
    02-01-12 06:04 PM
    Carol, as I understand it this is what you need to do.
    1 - Plug your Kindle reader into your computer by means of the USB cord supplied
    2 - Drag and drop any or all of the books on your Kindle to your computer
    3 - Search the internet for and download and install a free program called CALIBRE
    4 - Convert the books you wish using Calibre (I believe the default format is.epub but Book Reader can read .mobi also) I believe this step will remove DRM (anti theft software attached to the files)
    5 - Plug your playbook into your computer and transfer the books you want
    6 - Now you canfind and load the books you want into Book Reader

There are a number of websites on the internet where you can download books for free that already have the DRM removed.

Some of us tend to forget that everyone is not a "computer expert" and we tend to skip steps when explaining presuming everybody already knows that.

I hope I never skipped any steps, I'm sure I'll hear about it if I did, lol
    02-01-12 06:21 PM
    Calibre does not remove DRM. A separate application is needed for that. Also, Book Reader will read azw files from Kindle without conversion to epub.
    02-01-12 08:07 PM
    Calibre does not remove DRM. A separate application is needed for that. Also, Book Reader will read azw files from Kindle without conversion to epub.
    I do believe I have read several different posts on this forum that claim that it will, but I personally have no knowledge to refute your statement.
    02-01-12 08:17 PM
    Why not just install the droid ported Kindle app on OS2 ?

Been using that myself for some time and several books..
    02-01-12 09:45 PM
    Use the amazon cloud reader (HTML 5 webapp). Go to www.amazon.reader.com using your browser on the playbook to read your amazon e-books.
    02-01-12 10:05 PM
    This is much too complicated....I'll stick with my KOBO.
    02-01-12 10:08 PM
    Or you can email the books to yourself.
    02-01-12 10:34 PM
    Use the amazon cloud reader (HTML 5 webapp). Go to www.amazon.reader.com using your browser on the playbook to read your amazon e-books.
    Is this a US only product as when I put this into the browser it goes straight to a .co.uk site and there is nothing about an amazon reader, other than trying to sell me a Kindle and a whole load of books.
    02-02-12 07:38 AM
    Is this a US only product as when I put this into the browser it goes straight to a .co.uk site and there is nothing about an amazon reader, other than trying to sell me a Kindle and a whole load of books.
    Well I live in Barbados and have no problems, so i don't believe it is only a US product. I have however noted that occasionally while in England i would be directed to a UK site while using .com.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...bUvbUpU7086790
    Last edited by Boodrew; 02-02-12 at 08:24 AM. Reason: adding link
    02-02-12 08:21 AM
    I'm not sure if it's US only or specifically for Amazon Prime customers. But there's no dedicated Playbook Kindle Reader app (probably to get people to think of buying a Kindle or Kindle Fire instead of the Playbook). So the Cloud Reader is the other option. But it means having a connection in order to work.
    02-02-12 01:02 PM
    According to the below website Calibre can remove DRM but requires a plug-in to do so

http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2...the-perplexed/
    02-02-12 06:44 PM
    I was referring to the stock Calibre application. I was not aware that there was a plug-in that removes DRM. I've tried it with Kobo and Kindle books, and it does work. Much simpler than using another application to remove the DRM (and it's free!). Thanks for pointing this out.
    02-03-12 07:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD