Any words from the Dev? Have not heard anything since over a month I guess.
    11-05-12 01:57 AM
    Based on recommendation here, I downloaded Book Reader. If what I have is same as everyone else, I can't believe the support here. My experience:

- When I first opened Book Reader, I am presented with what looks like a wood planking back ground and in one corner two tiny rectangles, one with another green rectangle. No written words to explain what this was.
    - I first tapped on teh rectangle with green and it wanted me to send an email it seemed.
    - Tried the other one, and it brought up graphical display of contents of PB (Photos music etc) what has this got to do with Book Reading?
    - I loaded some book files into PB Books folder. These sort of displayed but would not open - OK I thought .mobi files could be read - my mistake.
    - I loaded a DRM free epub file. OK it now displayed the cover on the wooden back ground along with a cryptic file name that runs off edge of screen
    - I tapped on the cover and the book opens, still with wooden background.
    - flipped through several pages.
    - Tried to find a way back to beginning of book - no way other than keep flipping back
    - Looked for any kind of menus where quick navigation or preferences could be set - nothing at all. Cant even get back to opening page without closing and reopening.

Surely this can't be the program everyone thinks is great? If it is I just wasted 99c.

Seems like I did - This thread is about Book Reader. There is such and app and it is by bbcubezone. Seems the one you guys are talking about is Book Reader for Epub and Kindle books. Too bad the names are almost the same. I will try tangled's book reader.

OK I did - That is MUCH better! That other wannabe is really bad!
    Don't know what you downloaded but when I open Book Reader I get options across the bottom - Library, Get Books, Settings, and Instructions as well as a couple of icons at the top which bring up your different libraries, a search function and a delete option to remove books. There are no wooden planks to be seen anywhere. All you have to do to import a book is touch "Get Books" and it takes you to the "File Explorer" which has different choices. My books are in Downloads. If I open that I get a listing of everything I've downloaded. If I touch an epub file it stays selected and if I then touch the plus sign in the upper right corner I'm given the option to import the book to Book Reader and then I can read it. I've never ever had a problem with this app and I love it. It has made reading books a pleasure on my Playbook.
    11-05-12 02:08 PM
    Don't know what you downloaded but when I open Book Reader I get options across the bottom - Library, Get Books, Settings, and Instructions as well as a couple of icons at the top which bring up your different libraries, a search function and a delete option to remove books. There are no wooden planks to be seen anywhere. All you have to do to import a book is touch "Get Books" and it takes you to the "File Explorer" which has different choices. My books are in Downloads. If I open that I get a listing of everything I've downloaded. If I touch an epub file it stays selected and if I then touch the plus sign in the upper right corner I'm given the option to import the book to Book Reader and then I can read it. I've never ever had a problem with this app and I love it. It has made reading books a pleasure on my Playbook.
    I don't think you read completely through my post.
    StanWiz likes this.
    11-05-12 08:08 PM
    I don't think you read completely through my post.
    Actually I did but I wanted to make sure people knew what they should be seeing. When this app first came out it was just Book Reader I believe (don't remember the epub and kindle part but I could be wrong). Untangled Dev has done a great job with it and are very plugged in and responsive to suggestions and feedback. Sorry you got a copy cat but am glad you finally were able to purchase the right one. Happy reading!
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    11-06-12 05:21 PM
    Any advice on how to transfer books from Kobo e reader?
    Any book that you have on your Kobo e-reader should also be available on your Kobo Desktop and/or Kobobooks.com account. On kobobooks.com, you can download any books you have purchased in several formats - When you do that, the files will be on your computer. If they are epub or pdf, you can copy them to your PB and access them with Book Reader. (When used with Kobo, you don't usually need to do the download, so the download step is not always known)

Of course if you just want to read the books on the PB, you can use the PB Kobo app. It works better than the Kobo eReader itself. I have my wife's Kob and my Playbook synced to same email address - that way all books show up on both devices. But native Kobo (kepub) files can't be read on Book Reader unless you do the download trick I explained above.

Calibre is a great tool for ebook management. Allows file types to be converted and will search your computer for suitable book files.
    11-07-12 08:27 PM
    Any book that you have on your Kobo e-reader should also be available on your Kobo Desktop and/or Kobobooks.com account. On kobobooks.com, you can download any books you have purchased in several formats - When you do that, the files will be on your computer. If they are epub or pdf, you can copy them to your PB and access them with Book Reader. (When used with Kobo, you don't usually need to do the download, so the download step is not always known)

Of course if you just want to read the books on the PB, you can use the PB Kobo app. It works better than the Kobo eReader itself. I have my wife's Kob and my Playbook synced to same email address - that way all books show up on both devices. But native Kobo (kepub) files can't be read on Book Reader unless you do the download trick I explained above.

Calibre is a great tool for ebook management. Allows file types to be converted and will search your computer for suitable book files.
    A comment re downloading Kobo purchased books onto your PC - unless Kobo states otherwise the book will be DRM protected.

However, Kobo does have a percentage (small?) of non DRM protected ebooks and that is stated with the ebook info.

DRM protected ebooks cannot be read on Book Reader for EPUB and Mobi until the DRM has been stripped.

Calibre is the same - an ebook needs to be DRM free prior to it being able to be opened in Calibre.

There are various programs that will strip the DRM to enable one to read their book on the device of choice using the app of choice.
    11-07-12 09:46 PM
    you can easily transfer your book just follow simple steps,
    1. Download Software setup file from a Digital publishing for professionals | Adobe Digital Editions Home to your computer.
    2. after install software select library from top left then add item find your book which you want to convert then click open.
    3. now connet your kobo ereader with your pc. After few minute when your device got connect you can see your bookshelves on left side of your programme.
    4.Drag and drop your book and your file will be changed in gray colour. After that a window dialog box will open and show massage of status of file copy process. Now click on your kobo and you can see your all file inside in your device folder,
    5.Now disconnect your kobo from pc and reload it, now you can enjoy your books.
    11-07-12 10:08 PM
    you can easily transfer your book just follow simple steps,
    1. Download Software setup file from a Digital publishing for professionals | Adobe Digital Editions Home to your computer.
    2. after install software select library from top left then add item find your book which you want to convert then click open.
    3. now connet your kobo ereader with your pc. After few minute when your device got connect you can see your bookshelves on left side of your programme.
    4.Drag and drop your book and your file will be changed in gray colour. After that a window dialog box will open and show massage of status of file copy process. Now click on your kobo and you can see your all file inside in your device folder,
    5.Now disconnect your kobo from pc and reload it, now you can enjoy your books.
    I don't think this addresses the question - How to transfer books FROM Kobo ereader. (presumably to Playbook)
    Last edited by Kwela123; 11-08-12 at 07:01 PM.
    11-08-12 11:14 AM
    Love the app, just have one question...

If your book has links to other parts of the book, how do you return to where you were at before hitting the link? For example if there is a reference to the appendix, and you hit the link which takes you to the appendix in the back of the book, is there a way to quickly return to where you were previously at? The only way I have found is to choose the chapter you were in, but then you have to find the right page.

Am I missing something?
    11-09-12 10:40 AM
    I just purchased this app to see if it was better then the other 2 I tried so far (ePub Reader and PlayEpub).

I really like the import feature of Book Reader. I
    I wish this app had a different name. the one we are discussing is NOT Book Reader! That is a very poor app with a similar name. The app discussed here is Book Reader for Epub and Kindle.

For anyone considering an eReader - Don't make the mistake I made and buy "Book Reader" !

Maybe Untangled should change the name or get the other guy to change his or remove it if he is trying to hang on Untangled's coattails.
    11-10-12 08:59 AM
    Kwela are you aware that you can get your money back for buying the wrong 'look alike' app?

I got mine back when I bought the wrong TV App, thinking I was buying SCrid's.

When you email PB App World complain vociferously about the copy cat.
    11-11-12 05:06 PM
    Kwela are you aware that you can get your money back for buying the wrong 'look alike' app?

I got mine back when I bought the wrong TV App, thinking I was buying SCrid's.

When you email PB App World complain vociferously about the copy cat.
    Yes - I got the refund very promptly.
    11-11-12 06:43 PM
    ...Still waiting for page scrolling. Would be nice to just thumb scroll down, similar to when web browsing
    At the end of a chapter, then do the standard side page tap to move onto the next chapter or article.
    11-18-12 01:04 PM
    Does anyone know how to completely remove a book from Book Reader. If you delete the book it keeps an optimized copy of it. I have an epub that has some formatting issues and want to replace it with a new copy.
    11-29-12 05:18 PM
    Thank you for thios app. It is awesome. I was gonna get a kobo glow as my Kobo touch is no good for night time reading and the kobo app wont let me read my own books. This app has solved this issue. i love it. An absolute bargain at �1.

i recommend this to everyone who wants a functional e-reader. five star
    12-01-12 03:20 AM
    just sideload kindle it has made my pb the again

Sent from my 64g Blackberry Playbook via Tapatalk
    12-03-12 03:40 PM
    Does anyone know how to completely remove a book from Book Reader. If you delete the book it keeps an optimized copy of it. I have an epub that has some formatting issues and want to replace it with a new copy.
    I would email the developer using the contact info available in AppWorld if you haven't already. He's very responsive and I'm sure will be able to help you.
    12-03-12 04:04 PM
    The reason I suggested a flag as opposed to a "read" collection, is people may want to keep collections of books together (e.g by author, subject, etc.) whether or not they are read.

First of all, thank you for the feedback.
    1) Localized orientation lock sounds like a good idea.
    2) Thought about this one too, but did not have time to implement. I may introduce another system collection to track those books so it could be easily identified and deleted.

Regards,
    Igor
    Untangled Development
    12-14-12 02:13 PM
    Igor, I have been having a problem with some recent epub's imported into Book Reader. The issue is that all words with double L's in them only display one "L". The issue is with ".epub" files.

This has happened on 4 or 5 books from different authors that I have imported. I also notice that the text is not dynamic and does not adjust well to fit the book readers display settings.
    12-26-12 01:51 PM
    Hi Igor, does Book reader for Play Book support Cyrillic?
    Thanks. Igor
    12-26-12 05:26 PM
    I wish this app had a different name. the one we are discussing is NOT Book Reader! That is a very poor app with a similar name. The app discussed here is Book Reader for Epub and Kindle.

For anyone considering an eReader - Don't make the mistake I made and buy "Book Reader" !

Maybe Untangled should change the name or get the other guy to change his or remove it if he is trying to hang on Untangled's coattails.

I fell for it too. It was the first app to come up in App World. I could not believe that was the highly appraised app I read about. I'm pissed!
    01-02-13 08:09 PM
    I fell for it too. It was the first app to come up in App World. I could not believe that was the highly appraised app I read about. I'm pissed!
    Seek a refund

[email protected]
    01-02-13 08:40 PM
    There was an upgrade today, but I don't know what changed.
    01-21-13 11:09 AM
    I just upgraded from 1.4.3 to 1.4.4, and yes I did close the app before upgrading, and now the reader doesn't open any of my books... I've restarted the app and the playbook, no joy. Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?

Update - I uninstalled and reinstalled, it defaulted to reinstall 1.4.3 so I'm guessing my update didn't complete properly... It again hit me with the update so I installed it again as well and now it seems to work. Unfortunately I lost my spot on my last book... but that shouldn't be too hard to find.
    Last edited by dex138; 01-24-13 at 05:31 PM. Reason: update status
    01-24-13 05:05 PM
    I have a small problem with this app. When I tap screen to go to next Page, sometimes all the text on the next Page has a red underline. Anyone know how to stop this?
    Last edited by kwelamnp; 02-21-13 at 09:51 PM.
    02-20-13 10:17 PM
784 ... 2829303132
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD