Hi Untangleddev,
    your app is one of the best. I also use some android ereader but I prefer your native app. the only two things that I would like to see on your app are

Dictionary
    I am not english so reading english books improve a lot my language knowledge but I really need something in hand when I found new words.

Scroll mode
    when on PB, I prefer scroll the chapter using thumbs on the sides.

Let me know if you could thing about

Thanks
    Giomi
    I too would like to see scrolling be available. At least for each chapter. When a chapter ends, then flick to flip the page/chapter, and then continue scrolling down.
    10-03-12 12:23 PM
    ^, +1 for dictionary. I wonder how difficult/time consuming it will be for the Dev? Could it be done in any near future release? Side loaded Kindle app does it perfectly fine.(does download dictionary separately though).
    10-09-12 12:12 PM
    Since the upgrade I haven't been able to copy and paste. Just found out about this today. Is anyone else having this issue?
    cutexoxo likes this.
    10-09-12 10:13 PM
    @world saviour

I haven't had any issues with copying and pasting. I've copied text and pasted it into Evernote and I've pasted into the bookmark in app. This is with the most current versions of the app and OS.
    10-10-12 01:00 AM
    I came upon the thread late in the game.

Kobo books If you open a Kobo account Online via a web browser (Which I believe you have to have in order to purchase books) you can view your purchase history. This gives you the option to download your books to your PC via Adobe Digital Editions (again must already have an established account). These books will show up under your C:/user name/Documents/My Documents/My Digital Editions/". Now you can apply ADE DRM removal techniques to free up your books and read them anywhere. This works whether you have KOBO for PC, Android, etc (even a stand alone Kobo reader) because you are accessing the books outside of Kobo's e-reader software. Same applies for library books.

For Kindle books I apply the same technique except that the books reside in the folder ".../My Documents/My Kindle Content/". If you use Kindle for PC this folder will be there. If not then Download Kindle for PC and sync your PC. I use the software "Kindle DRM Removal". I point it to the book folder and start it. It will also accept your Kindle s/n for decrypting. It places all the processed books in a folder called "Kindle DRM Removal".

The books here may be in three formats (mobi, html or awz3). It may also claim that only x number of books were successfully processed.
    So far I have been able to convert all processed output through Calibre to create ePub formats.
    The output has the kindle book number plus the real title of the book. I use "Rename Wizzard" to bulk edit the file name and remove this number.
    I can then read the books in any epub reader whether hardware or software.

I hope this helps.

jlg234
    10-10-12 12:12 PM
    I came upon the thread late in the game.

Kobo books If you open a Kobo account Online via a web browser (Which I believe you have to have in order to purchase books) you can view your purchase history. This gives you the option to download your books to your PC via Adobe Digital Editions (again must already have an established account). These books will show up under your C:/user name/Documents/My Documents/My Digital Editions/". Now you can apply ADE DRM removal techniques to free up your books and read them anywhere. This works whether you have KOBO for PC, Android, etc (even a stand alone Kobo reader) because you are accessing the books outside of Kobo's e-reader software. Same applies for library books.

For Kindle books I apply the same technique except that the books reside in the folder ".../My Documents/My Kindle Content/". If you use Kindle for PC this folder will be there. If not then Download Kindle for PC and sync your PC. I use the software "Kindle DRM Removal". I point it to the book folder and start it. It will also accept your Kindle s/n for decrypting. It places all the processed books in a folder called "Kindle DRM Removal".

The books here may be in three formats (mobi, html or awz3). It may also claim that only x number of books were successfully processed.
    So far I have been able to convert all processed output through Calibre to create ePub formats.
    The output has the kindle book number plus the real title of the book. I use "Rename Wizzard" to bulk edit the file name and remove this number.
    I can then read the books in any epub reader whether hardware or software.

I hope this helps.

jlg234
    OMFG, thank you for this!! I thought I was relegated to that piece of crap Kobo to read some of the free books I got, but no more!
    10-15-12 10:33 AM
    good day guys! wonder if anyone can help me.
    i have transferred e-books in PDF files onto my playbook. i can read them on my file manager alright however, the book marks present on my laptop did not appear on playbook. this means i have to scout page after page to find the chapter i need. is there a solution to this?
    im new to this so dont really have a clue.
    10-17-12 07:32 AM
    Leo hi and welcome to Crackberry!!!

To read PDf's on the Playbook you're better off getting Pdf Reader by Sporadic Software - AUD $1.

It's excellent and well recommended in these pages:

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...36/index5.html

You'll find it in PB App World.

Have you set up your PB App World account yet?

Pls ask any other questions you like re e-reading.
    10-17-12 06:02 PM
    Downloaded "Book Reader" on recommendations for app on CrackBerry. Great Support!
    Last edited by iseeblackberry; 10-21-12 at 09:41 PM.
    10-19-12 06:01 PM
    Hi,
    I would like to know if this forum thread is the right place to submit feedbacks to Untangled Dev

Using Book Reader, v1.43, I am very please. But there are some improvements I would like to see in the next update:

1. The Table of Conten must be sync'ed with the current page. This TOC windows always starts at the top and sometimes, the toc is very long and requires a lot of scrolling to reach the chapter entry. To make the matter worse, the GUI of the ToC display is not very convenient: tiny window with tiny font, very sensitive to unintentional click. As a result, sometimes it took me almost FIVE minutes to reach the page I want. I mis-clicked very frequently during the scroll of the ToC content, each time I had to start all over again. Untangled Dev, please get in touch with me by private msg. I will show you the book so you can see what I mean.

2. The images should be zoomable when clicked.
    3. Possibility to reach a page by page # (in addition of the horizontal scrolling bar)
    4. Possibility to change the color of some highlighted section (title or Figure XX). Currently they are red and I don't know where to change them. My current settings are:
    - Foreground: B0B0B0
    - Background: 000000
    - Highlight color: 4090E0
    - Highlight b/g color: FFFF00

BTW, what are the Highlight colors? Where are they seen in the book?

Thanks in advance for your support.
    10-26-12 12:06 PM
    Hi Genomix, Igor has mentioned previously that you can also email him:

Site under construction

(PS I got this email address from My World in the PB App World)

-------------------------------

Oooops ...... I just tried this link and found that it leads to an 'under development' notice.
    10-26-12 04:02 PM
    I was wondering if someone could help me out. I downloaded the application and I have saved a book on my playbook - when I go to open it up it says loading and then goes to my main screen on my playbook. Not to sure if I am explaining mysel properly. Thanks in advance for any help. Book is saved in an epub format
    10-27-12 03:15 PM
    Cards, I'm unsure if you mean that the Book Reader app closes when you open it, or if the book closes when you open it?

If the Book Reader app closes when you open it then uninstall it via PB App World and then re-boot.

Then install Book Reader again and it should work.

If the book closes when you read it, then delete the book from the PB and copy it over again fresh.

Let us know how you go.
    Electrolysis likes this.
    10-27-12 05:48 PM
    First time crackberry poster here. I decided to start using ebooks because I live in Chile and the selection of English language books is very limited, and what is available is very expensive. Based on the good reviews here, I have downloaded Book Reader onto my Playbook. I then opened an account on with Kobo books and downloaded "Memoirs of a Geisha", which is DRM-protected. Then, I followed jlg234's instructions above to strip the DRM from the epub file. This seemed to work fine. Then I transferred the DRM-stripped epub file from my laptop to my playbook. Then, I went to Book Reader on my Playbook and then "Get Books". The file showed up as available (and without a "sad face"), so it should be fine for Book Reader. The book shows up in my library, but when I click on the cover, I just get a blank screen. What am I doing wrong?

To top it off, I can't seem to open the book in the Blackberry pre-installed Kobo books app either. It appears there, but when I click on it, I get "Sorry! We couldn't open this item. We're working to fix the problem - please try again later." I can open the book on my laptop. Can anybody offer any suggestions for help?
    10-27-12 06:13 PM
    Hi Vancitygd, welcome to Crackberry!!!

i'm not sure why your book's not opening via Book Reader ..... but can I suggest that you download a free + DRM free book to PC and then copy to the PB or use Drop Box or SugarSync etc to drop book down. Kobo has free + DRM free ebooks.

At least then you'll know whether or not the app's the problem or something else.

Also - in the first instance try uninstalling the Book Reader App via PB App World, re-boot and then download via App World again.

Let us know how you go.
    10-28-12 02:55 AM
    Thanks Heavens1. I took your advice and downloaded a free DRM-free book (Anna Karenina) from Kobo. It opens just fine in Book Reader. It also works in the Kobo books app.

I also emailed Kobo books support regarding the problems I was having with "Memoirs of a Geisha". They actually replied very promptly and said that they were having difficulties with that title. They said that they would give me a refund and credit my account within 48 hours. I still don't understand why I can read it on my laptop, but oh well.

Thanks again.
    10-28-12 08:05 PM
    Hi Genomix, Igor has mentioned previously that you can also email him:
    Site under construction
    Oooops ...... I just tried this link and found that it leads to an 'under development' notice.
    Thank you for the link. The site gives Igor's email, I guess it's enough to send to Igor the feedbacks. Also, the site allows you to input your own email top receive updates.
    10-31-12 11:14 AM
    First time crackberry poster here. I decided to start using ebooks because I live in Chile and the selection of English language books is very limited, and what is available is very expensive. Based on the good reviews here, I have downloaded Book Reader onto my Playbook. I then opened an account on with Kobo books and downloaded "Memoirs of a Geisha", which is DRM-protected. Then, I followed jlg234's instructions above to strip the DRM from the epub file. This seemed to work fine. Then I transferred the DRM-stripped epub file from my laptop to my playbook. Then, I went to Book Reader on my Playbook and then "Get Books". The file showed up as available (and without a "sad face"), so it should be fine for Book Reader. The book shows up in my library, but when I click on the cover, I just get a blank screen. What am I doing wrong?

To top it off, I can't seem to open the book in the Blackberry pre-installed Kobo books app either. It appears there, but when I click on it, I get "Sorry! We couldn't open this item. We're working to fix the problem - please try again later." I can open the book on my laptop. Can anybody offer any suggestions for help?
    Some stand alone ereaders (and apps) are more finicky than desktop versions. If your book is DRM free (or has DRM removed), try converting it in Calibre on your desktop to see if that fixes it. You could start with a simple .epub to .epub conversion, however if it has major problems, you might need to go to a different format first. I had an ePub that was fine on the PC, but would reboot my Kobo every time when it got to a certain page; .epub to .epub didn't fix it, so I did .epub to .mobi and then back to .epub, and it was perfect then.

calibre - E-book management

Cheers
    The REAL Joe
    11-01-12 08:54 AM
    Has anyone done a comparison of ereaders for the Playbook?

PlayEpub looks promising. Are there any plusses or negatives vs Book Reader?
    11-01-12 09:52 AM
    @world saviour

I haven't had any issues with copying and pasting. I've copied text and pasted it into Evernote and I've pasted into the bookmark in app. This is with the most current versions of the app and OS.
    On 10-30-12 I received a reply from 'Igor' of Untangled Development, with the message: "Go to the application Settings screen and switch "Page turn area" to the Side Screen". The reader will switch back to the previous page turning model where it will react only to taps/swipes on screen edges. Text screen still works in this mode. Regards, Igor/Untangled Development." I usually get a timely reply from them that fixes any problem I'm having.
    11-01-12 11:01 AM
    Has anyone done a comparison of ereaders for the Playbook?

PlayEpub looks promising. Are there any plusses or negatives vs Book Reader?
    Take a look at this review posted in August this year:

http://crackberry.com/best-applicati...aybook-ereader
    11-01-12 04:56 PM
    The review is useful but adds to my confusion. Apps are cheap enough but I hoped for a clear cut winner Maybe go on price and get Book Reader? But there were new ones to me like svit mentioned that also seem good. I guess they will all work well enough.
    11-01-12 07:35 PM
    The review is useful but adds to my confusion. Apps are cheap enough but I hoped for a clear cut winner Maybe go on price and get Book Reader? But there were new ones to me like svit mentioned that also seem good. I guess they will all work well enough.
    Book reader is the best reader on the PlayBook IMO, Svit is horrible, EPUB Reader is pretty bare bones and Play Epub has some nice features but none of them renders the books as good as Book Reader, in comparision all the other readers look like your reading books from a text editor:
    Book Reader
    Book Reader - Best ePub Reader for Playbook!-img_00000001.jpg
    Play Epub
    Book Reader - Best ePub Reader for Playbook!-img_00000002.jpg
    11-02-12 11:11 PM
    Hi, A couple of questions and I apologize if these have been addressed before:

I was wondering if there is a maximum limit to the number of books or memory that can be assigned to Book Reader. I've spent the last couple of days trying to install a large library of books and it seems to start giving import errors once I have about 2000 books in there. The error message is "File structure contains invalid/irregular components or some required components are missing completely. Error 3001." If I delete other books, than the book in question imports without difficulty. I have deleted external memory hogs like movies and it doesn't rectify the problem. Most of the books I'll never read, so it is okay to get rid of a large portion of this library. I guess I just wanted them all for bragging rights.

The other question I have is if I uninstall the application, does it delete all the books in its library as well? I've uninstalled it a couple times just to clear the contents so I can start all over and reorganize my categories. It seems to return the free storage to the Playbook, but on the other hand I can't account for all the storage I seem to have filled up over the past few days, so I was hoping for verification.

Thank you.

I'm guessing this may be an addressing issue relating to number of book entries and available memory?
    Last edited by Naden; 11-03-12 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added information
    11-03-12 08:50 PM
    Based on recommendation here, I downloaded Book Reader. If what I have is same as everyone else, I can't believe the support here. My experience:

- When I first opened Book Reader, I am presented with what looks like a wood planking back ground and in one corner two tiny rectangles, one with another green rectangle. No written words to explain what this was.
    - I first tapped on teh rectangle with green and it wanted me to send an email it seemed.
    - Tried the other one, and it brought up graphical display of contents of PB (Photos music etc) what has this got to do with Book Reading?
    - I loaded some book files into PB Books folder. These sort of displayed but would not open - OK I thought .mobi files could be read - my mistake.
    - I loaded a DRM free epub file. OK it now displayed the cover on the wooden back ground along with a cryptic file name that runs off edge of screen
    - I tapped on the cover and the book opens, still with wooden background.
    - flipped through several pages.
    - Tried to find a way back to beginning of book - no way other than keep flipping back
    - Looked for any kind of menus where quick navigation or preferences could be set - nothing at all. Cant even get back to opening page without closing and reopening.

Surely this can't be the program everyone thinks is great? If it is I just wasted 99c.

Seems like I did - This thread is about Book Reader. There is such and app and it is by bbcubezone. Seems the one you guys are talking about is Book Reader for Epub and Kindle books. Too bad the names are almost the same. I will try tangled's book reader.

OK I did - That is MUCH better! That other wannabe is really bad!
    Last edited by Kwela123; 11-04-12 at 08:27 PM.
    11-04-12 08:08 PM
784 ... 2728293031 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD