Hay guys i was just wondering if you can fond out how long it will be for skype to come out on playbook, becuase i only bought a playbook for skype and social life so yeah
    05-03-12 04:33 PM
    Hay guys i was just wondering if you can fond out how long it will be for skype to come out on playbook, becuase i only bought a playbook for skype and social life so yeah
    A cursory research attempt by you would have revealed that Skype is not available for the PlayBook, therefore, your only reason for buying the PB is all for naught. There are several other tablet like devices, some cheaper, I might add, that may have Skype, so I would look to returning the PB and getting one of those. Oh, and the answer to your question as to when it will be available for the PB can only be answered by Skype themselves; so give them a shout and see what they say.
    05-03-12 04:39 PM
    Then I hope you kept your receipt and the store has a liberal return policy.
    05-03-12 04:42 PM
    LoL Nice.. I don't know who you are, but thanks for the laugh, that made my day.

Alnamvet - you fell for it! LoL
    05-03-12 04:42 PM
    LoL Nice.. I don't know who you are, but thanks for the laugh, that made my day.

Alnamvet - you fell for it! LoL
    Nah, I could have said something else, but that would have ignited a schitstorm. bewize, do your friends call you canito?
    Toodeurep likes this.
    05-03-12 04:51 PM
    Nah, I could have said something else, but that would have ignited a schitstorm.
    I was actually impressed by your restraint. Not where I would have gone with it if given the chance. Nicely done.
    05-03-12 07:10 PM
    bewize don't listen to these guys
    Skype is available on the Playbook thru this forum.
    In order to download Skype you have to click on the "Logout" button
    that's located on the right upper corner of the screen.
    once you do this you can't hit the "Login" button ever or it won't work.
    Ok now the next step is to power off your Playbook
    and once it powers back-on its own you will have the Skype app.
    If it doesn't power back up on it's own don't worry be patient it
    will power up sooner than later
    05-03-12 08:34 PM
    Thanks - I think
    Can you be more explicit -
    - what skype app are you using? Where did you get it?
    - could you add some screen shots - Picture = 1000 ...
    - does it cover audio chats
    - does it cover video?
    - can I call telephones? (like I can on Windows 7
    Thanks
    05-03-12 09:54 PM
    I'm not 100% sure, but, I think if you could read through every one of these threads - you will find your answer: LINK to SKYPE info on PlayBook

There is some pretty good info out there.
    05-03-12 10:03 PM
    I heard from my brother in laws, ex girlfriend's, uncle's 3rd cousin's kid that skype will be out on Dec 22nd. The Mayan calendar says that Armageddon will be on Dec. 21st, however....so it looks like we'll be out of luck.

Sorry.
    05-03-12 10:05 PM
    Can't you trolls just leave this forum alone? There is no way that these first time posters all are that oblivious. Go back to your iforums and droidforums. We don't need the pollution here.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    05-03-12 10:06 PM
    lol this thread gave me a good laugh
    Last edited by sergeh; 05-04-12 at 06:10 PM.
    BerryClever likes this.
    05-03-12 10:22 PM
    If you are serious about that question (I doubt it), 2 things.
    1. No, there is no Skype right now.
    2. Forget the social life for now and focus on your education.
    05-03-12 10:38 PM
    LOL is this a joke? Who makes this kind of purchase without ANY basic research?
    05-03-12 11:58 PM
    Hey Guys, I've got skype on my playbook recently and have been videochatting since. It's great and made in complete HTML5. However, secure login is missing but everything is running smooth. Please like my post and pm me for download link.
    Thunder9000 and bewize like this.
    05-04-12 12:10 AM
    ^^^^^
    You've got to be kidding me!
    05-04-12 12:13 AM
    Hey Guys, I've got skype on my playbook recently and have been videochatting since. It's great and made in complete HTML5. However, secure login is missing but everything is running smooth. Please like my post and pm me for download link.
    Why don't you just post the link like everyone else who finds a deal?
    05-04-12 12:19 AM
    Against forum rules..
    05-04-12 12:30 AM
    I know this thread was started by an innocent new member of our happy CB community (or an evil iOS/Android rabble-rouser troll, your choice). But maybe it can spark some useful discussion. Maybe...

I never needed Skype when I bought my PB. I had also been a member here for a couple years, and a lurker for a year or two more. It never occurred to me to search out whether or not Skype was supported. The PB hardware has such awesome relative specs, including the front-facing, HD capable, camera - I just assumed there'd be Skype. I mean every other half-assed platform out there has it, right?

Anyway, in another thread I saw some speculation that the reason there is no Skype app on the PB is that the device doesn't support the low-end, high-compression algorithm Skype uses for encoding video. This seemed far more reasonable an explanation to me than the other Microsoft/Google vs. RIM conspiracy theories I've read as to why we don't have an app.

Could the answer be as simple as petitioning RIM to add an older video codec?

It's somewhat hard for me to believe this is the only reason - especially with so many people being vocal about wanting Skype. But sometimes there's really a simple answer to what seems like a complex problem.

Also, just out of personal curiosity, does anyone know if Skype video chat sessions all go through a central server? Or once the two participants are connected, does it become peer-to-peer?
    Jethro-Ten likes this.
    05-04-12 01:06 AM
    If you are serious about that question (I doubt it), 2 things.
    1. No, there is no Skype right now.
    2. Forget the social life for now and focus on your education.
    Dude i use my blackbook for education aswell so dont bother asuming things
    05-04-12 01:17 AM
    Against forum rules..
    I guess I better go read them. Everyone posts links to cases, apps, everything.
    05-04-12 01:21 AM
    Let me re-write it for you..."Dude...I use my PlayBook for educational purposes as well, so please don't make any assumptions."

I think mine looks better.
    Last edited by costas1966; 05-04-12 at 02:01 AM. Reason: spelling.
    BerryClever and DPSydBerry like this.
    05-04-12 02:00 AM
    I thought his post was sarcastic, but in this thread I don't know who is being sarcastic and who isn't.

Anyways, I would probably not do it because it could be an number of things, including a phishing site. I honestly do not know what the link is and it could be legit, could be a phishing site, or could be just for laughs to see how many people believe him.

See now I don't think your original post was a joke. In that case, keep at it, take some more time to type, and proof read. Whether it is right or wrong, people (in general) will form their impressions of you by your grammar and spelling. This is true for comments on the internet, job applications, and college if you choose to go. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it can't be that.
    05-04-12 11:09 AM

sorry no skype coming for playbook, probably never will.
    05-04-12 11:47 AM
    well, some dude will come out with a better app then Skype. and they'll eat their's hearts out
    06-09-12 08:59 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD