Just saw this on twitter - short vid

05-04-11 04:05 PM
    The video from the keynote demo is more informative. From the keynote demo, you can tell that the native email app is a java app because it is run within the "blackberry player" vm.
    05-04-11 04:11 PM
    The video from the keynote demo is more informative. From the keynote demo, you can tell that the native email app is a java app because it is run within the "blackberry player" vm.
    Yep, you hit the nail on the head. So disappointing. No wonder it's running with so much lag. I assume this is because existing BES servers and the NOC require Java.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-11 04:40 PM
    It's good news for "legacy" BB developers to know that the java vm is ready to be demo --- because the official RIM dev blog stated that the android vm would come first and then java vm later (which looked like eons away).

Don't really know what kind of java vm it is. There had been numerous youtube interviews of RIM executives last year --- that there were on-going internal discussions about whether to put a Java SE vm in the Playbook. And if it is Java SE, then the question becomes whether it is Java SE 6 or Java SE 7.
    Last edited by samab; 05-04-11 at 05:19 PM.
    05-04-11 04:52 PM
    It's good news for "legacy" BB developers to know that the java vm is ready to be demo --- because the official RIM dev blog stated that the android vm would come first and then java vm later (which looked like eons away).

Don't really know what kind of java vm it is. There had been numerous youtube interviews of RIM executives last year --- that there were on-going internal discussions about whether to put a Java SE vm in the Playbook. And if it is Java SE, then the question becomes whether it is Java SE 6 or Java SE 7.
    Yeah I suppose... as an end user I'd obviously prefer everything was written with the native SDK (soon to be released) as this would give the best experience.
    05-04-11 10:24 PM
    I notices something interesting the in one on one demo of the native PIM apps posted on the Crackberry front page. At one point the RIM guy has the contacts app open and it appeared that when a contact was open it included a list of all the e-mail conversations with the contact, a al Outlook 2010. That would be truly awesome if I was, in fact, seeing that right.

Anyone else catch that?
    05-05-11 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD