It is not everyday that Blackberry makes the headlines. Unfortunately, it ain't good news:

YouMail axes BlackBerry app support after 'steady exodus' - Apr. 17, 2012
    04-17-12 06:14 AM
    I didn't know youmail was still around.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    anon(3896606) and Chrisy like this.
    04-17-12 06:31 AM
    Who? YouMail? Who?

If they're going to bother posting these articles, they should be at least about someone relevant.
    04-17-12 06:37 AM
    Who? YouMail? Who?

If they're going to bother posting these articles, they should be at least about someone relevant.
    Circling the wagons? From the article:

YouMail's app is currently among the top-10 most popular apps in the "productivity" category of BlackBerry's App World store
    If this is true, quite a few BB users think YM is very relevant.
    04-17-12 06:48 AM
    Further, we shouldn't always see these as hit pieces. There are some good points in the article; he details developmental challenges, and also points out identity issues in the last paragraph.
    04-17-12 06:51 AM
    Interesting that the Youmail developers says they haven't heard anything from RIM. Someone should tweet the article to Alec Saunders, he is the VP of developer relations after all.
    04-17-12 07:38 AM
    Interesting that the Youmail developers says they haven't heard anything from RIM. Someone should tweet the article to Alec Saunders, he is the VP of developer relations after all.
    I just did... I am surprised that app developer that sold over 1m apps for bb phones would publically say things like that about rim.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-17-12 09:10 AM
    What does this have to do with PlayBook Apps And Games?
    04-17-12 09:23 AM
    I never heard of youmail but I hope we start seeing some positive press about BlackBerry soon.
    Apple was nearly bankrupt. I think new BlackBerry devices can get them back on track.

What's youmail do?
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-17-12 at 09:48 AM.
    04-17-12 09:43 AM
    Alex Kinsella had a good tweet...essentially stating one device leaves and it makes CNN but the 53 new devs that registered on AppWorld yesterday gets no coverage.
    Hamp, VeGiTo and CDM76 like this.
    04-17-12 11:43 AM
    Alex Kinsella had a good tweet...essentially stating one device leaves and it makes CNN but the 53 new devs that registered on AppWorld yesterday gets no coverage.
    I see the point... but it is about perspectives. Youmail was a major pickup when I used a BB as my primary driver, and is still reportedly a Top 10 productivity application.

Also, do we want to compare the number of developers currently on other platforms?

So, in that light, the 53 new developers joining can be considered small news compared to one big one leaving.
    04-17-12 11:49 AM
    I see the point... but it is about perspectives. Youmail was a major pickup when I used a BB as my primary driver, and is still reportedly a Top 10 productivity application.

Also, do we want to compare the number of developers currently on other platforms?

So, in that light, the 53 new developers joining can be considered small news compared to one big one leaving.
    Youmail was a pretty popular app a couple years ago. I don't know anyone who uses it now on any of the platforms. Maybe some folks do. I was being honest in my first post. I didn't realize they still existed. They might be top ten but I doubt that number accurately represents their current popularity on the platform.

If they were selling like crazy in a store with 70 million + customers I'm sure they might stick around. In my opinion this piece is more about reporting the popular storyline of RIM sliding. You may feel otherwise and that's cool with me. But in my opinion this is only a story to CNN because they are continuing a popular narrative and this fit in with that.
    04-17-12 11:56 AM
    ...or if RIM was willing to foot the bill for app development, a tactic Microsoft is using to seed its Windows Phone app store -- Quilici said YouMail would gladly come back to the platform.
    That seems to say enough about the motivation and ethics of a failing developer. You pay us to make the app, users pay us to buy the app. There's only one thing to say to developers like that... Nice try... VAFANCULO!!!
    downphoenix and Majestic Lion like this.
    04-17-12 12:03 PM
    If YouMail didn't have a PlayBook app, isn't this in the wrong forum?
    04-17-12 12:07 PM
    04-17-12 02:27 PM
    Hi all, we at YouMail had no idea that this story would see such publicity...

As a long-time user of the Curve, Bold, Torch, I am a huge fan of RIM's products

My Torch is still my primary phone today, and why I'm an active user (on my personal account) on sites like CrackBerry and PinStack. My primary tablet is also a PlayBook (and I've been celebrating this year that we finally have a native version of Angry Birds).

The decision we made at YouMail to discontinue new development on our BlackBerry app was made based purely on the numbers of new users we see coming from AppWorld in 2012 - which has accounted for less than 1% of YouMail's growth this year. We have had a difficult time continuing to invest a equal share of R&D dollars compared to Android and iPhone (the other 99% of growth so far in 2012).

I can only hope that, like myself, there are millions of BlackBerry fans in the U.S. who are waiting for a new BlackBerry for their next phone, and that it's a decision we can revisit or reverse here at YouMail in the future!

Cheers,
    Mike Rudolph
    CTO, YouMail
    04-17-12 04:49 PM
    WOW we lost a app/developer. We only have a few hundred left. Oh well....looks like the end of RIM lol. Dont let the door hit youin the A$$ on the way out the door.
    04-17-12 06:01 PM
    Nice one!!!!
    04-17-12 06:05 PM
    My Torch is still my primary phone today, and why I'm an active user (on my personal account) on sites like CrackBerry and PinStack.
    Hey Mike, follow the forum rules:

http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-r...uidelines-113/

Multiple Identities

Only one username or account is allowed per CrackBerry member. If you have forgotten your log in information, do not create a new account, please contact us. Users found with multiple accounts will be banned.

Anyways, while I agree you might be losing users on a BB because the decline of sales of BB in the US, YouMail just burned thier bridges with RIM. Stopping service could have been handled better, like, 'we have stopped developing for the BB's current OS and will have a wait and see approach to developing future products on the BB10 platform'.

If BB10 can make a strong comeback for RIM, YouMail has lost out.
    Last edited by narci; 04-17-12 at 06:27 PM.
    04-17-12 06:24 PM
    Hey Mike, follow the forum rules:

http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-r...uidelines-113/

Multiple Identities

Only one username or account is allowed per CrackBerry member. If you have forgotten your log in information, do not create a new account, please contact us. Users found with multiple accounts will be banned.

Anyways, while I agree you might be losing users on a BB because the decline of sales of BB in the US, YouMail just burned thier bridges with RIM. Stopping service could have been handled better, like, 'we have stopped developing for the BB's current OS and will have a wait and see approach to developing future products on the BB10 platform'.

If BB10 can make a strong comeback for RIM, YouMail has lost out.
    I agree

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-17-12 06:50 PM
    I also ditched CNN. I can find more reliable sources for news. Second of all, what ever happened to just REPORTING NEWS ?? The last thing CNN needs to some hipster tech bloggers telling the public the BlackBerry is not cool.

Thanks hipster goof.
    Last edited by VanCity778; 04-17-12 at 07:38 PM.
    04-17-12 07:35 PM
    I don't even know YouMail before I read this post. It's just a app and it's leaving means nothing to App World and users.
    SK122387 and VanCity778 like this.
    04-17-12 09:05 PM
    I also ditched CNN. I can find more reliable sources for news. Second of all, what ever happened to just REPORTING NEWS ?? The last thing CNN needs to some hipster tech bloggers telling the public the BlackBerry is not cool.

Thanks hipster goof.
    Then there's Erin Burnett and her "beloved" :
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...kberry-717128/
    04-17-12 11:52 PM
    Oh man.. Did anyone read any of the comments on that article? Its soo bad. This is generally what consumers think of RIM. They are really like the 4-eyed kid on the playground. I mean there is so much disrespect its crazy. What do these people care if BlackBerry exists or not anyway?

Soo bad... Read the comments they are out of this world negative!
    04-17-12 11:54 PM
    I think CNN needs to understand that RIM/Blackberry caters to a different group of audience called non-trend followers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-18-12 12:00 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD