When I first got my Playbook (OS 1.0.1...something), I'm like "YES, a large map in the palm of my ha..."

WTF bro....this Bing maps is:

1) Slow
    2) Choppy
    3) Zooming was worse than on my Storm 1 (not good)
    4) Switching to aerial view was garbage
    5) It look FOREVER to find directions, GPS, or do anything (and always complained about not having data access)

Thus, I downloaded the almost equally garbage google-style "Map App" off App world hoping that I would get that pleasant iPad-style maps experience without the Steve Jobs factor. Disappointment....
    The google maps online, was also hard to use with the crappy zooming slider and the laggy mclagsalot zooming.

Then, one day I asked, I'll try looking up an address on bing maps, just for fun. I know it'll be terrible and I'll get me in a mood, but I really want to know.

And I opened Bing Maps and typed in the address. It was found in less than 1 second. Not to jynx it, I broke a few plates and threw some salt over my shoulder then I tried zooming in, and it was SO SMOOTH. You can even rotate the angle of view with two fingers! I was thinking, **** google maps! Zooming in even more got you to aerial view which was awesome when rotating the maps!

Holy ****, thank you RIM/Microsoft. The ****ty maps issue has left the building.

(But don't think you have it that easy, integrate the compass, fix that stupid-looking form on the left side of the map, and show a moving GPS marker on the maps when in motion)
    07-28-11 07:36 AM
    The 1.0.6.XXXX and 1.0.7.2670 updates seemed to have the GPS working much more quickly, accurately, and smoothly! For me, it was only the GPS functionality that was awful in BING Maps.
    07-28-11 07:42 AM
    lets not get ahead of ourselves here..
    you still cant enter your own GPS location in the directions screen.. if that isnt a must for a map tool, i dont know what is
    07-28-11 07:57 AM
    lets not get ahead of ourselves here..
    you still cant enter your own GPS location in the directions screen.. if that isnt a must for a map tool, i dont know what is
    Although I haven't messed with it much, if I hit the little "GPS Target" icon on the top right and lock-in my location then attempt directions, my GPS coordinates are available in the drop-down box.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    07-28-11 08:06 AM
    The only problem I've found with bing maps is the outdatedness. I just used the GPS feature & it found my location just fine, except that my house is just a shell in the picture & infact I'm sitting on my couch not on the ground in an empty shell of a house. Maybe updating these maps would be a good idea.
    vespajet likes this.
    07-28-11 08:41 AM
    Bing Maps is the one app I 'hate' on my PB. It is not able to find an address almost 70% of the time in Mumbai. Google Maps on the other hand is able to do that all the time.

I hope that Google Maps comes on PB soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-11 12:32 PM
    I didn't really give a good look into how well the GPS works, finding addresses, or other features. I'm mostly, referring to mostly the smoothness of the app compared to how it performed initially. I've noticed a great optimization in the operation of Bing maps, that's it. This was was deterring me from using it over Google maps on my Storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-11 12:44 PM
    The only problem I've found with bing maps is the outdatedness. I just used the GPS feature & it found my location just fine, except that my house is just a shell in the picture & infact I'm sitting on my couch not on the ground in an empty shell of a house. Maybe updating these maps would be a good idea.
    The layers in some areas is extremely outdated. The image of closest zoom they have on my house is over five years old, perhaps as much as five and half years, as the work vehicle in the driveway is one that I quit driving in late May 2006. The shopping center at the front of my neighbor appears and disappears based on the zoom level and some of the images are 5-5.5 years old as well. At some zoom levels, there are images that are over a decade out of date.

I thought BlackBerry Maps sucked until I saw Bing Maps.....
    07-28-11 02:26 PM
    Wow who cares what the image is like as long as the location is correct. Google maps has a 5 year old image of where I live also.
    07-28-11 02:42 PM
    Although I haven't messed with it much, if I hit the little "GPS Target" icon on the top right and lock-in my location then attempt directions, my GPS coordinates are available in the drop-down box.
    youre right! thanks for that.. somehow that didnt work when i field tested it on holiday (i did have wifi...)..
    still choppy though when zooming & panning, and a lot of contrast difference between different countries.. eg mainland europe and the UK. must say im rooting for a full google maps app.
    07-28-11 04:42 PM

I thought BlackBerry Maps sucked until I saw Bing Maps.....
    my guess is (and getting there took me a while) that BB maps is its basic self so it would load quicker and be less data intensive?
    07-28-11 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD