Has anyone else noticed that bing maps no longer works over the bridge connection?
    04-18-12 10:57 PM
    Didn't know it ever did...the only thing that works as far as Internet goes while bridged is web browser. You must have wifi on if it worked before.
    04-19-12 12:39 AM
    Didn't know it ever did...the only thing that works as far as Internet goes while bridged is web browser. You must have wifi on if it worked before.
    That's just not true. Plenty of other apps aside from the browser work via bridge.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-19-12 01:33 AM
    Well look at that. It used to work. But not now. Oh well, no loss for me since I didn't like the application anyway. I use Google maps on my 9900.

Wonder why they made that change.
    04-19-12 01:33 AM
    I use the 2.99 Google maps in appworld and it works bridged. So does Nobex radio and Facebook to name a few more.
    04-19-12 01:36 AM
    For my phone I use telenav. I like the voice guidance while I drive.
    04-19-12 01:39 AM
    For my phone I use telenav. I like the voice guidance while I drive.
    Ditto.....
    04-19-12 07:32 AM
    I just noticed this today - it was a nice reference to use but I guess I'll be buying Google Maps now
    04-19-12 11:02 AM
    I just now discovered that Bing Maps doesn't work correctly when bridged on the PlayBook. This is another big issue for me since we often use it while traveling. Here's the sad part - it is actually working behind the notice that pops up, telling you that you need a wifi connection! I can see the map loading even though the pop-up says you don't have a connection!

How do we notify RIM that it needs a fix? It isn't a bridge issue since it just got fixed with the most recent update.
    05-04-12 09:37 PM
    I'd love for it to work when bridged as well. OR get BlackBerry Maps into the PlayBook.
    05-04-12 09:38 PM
    Bluetooth tethering works

For the record, I've answered this question a few times today.. Rim is ********... I can almost guarantee it was the phone bridge update that included some special favors for carriers *cough* at&t, namely, blocking data intensive apps from working over bridge. Youtube doesn't work either.
    Bluetooth tethering does
    05-05-12 06:16 AM
    Bluetooth tethering works

For the record, I've answered this question a few times today.. Rim is ********... I can almost guarantee it was the phone bridge update that included some special favors for carriers *cough* at&t, namely, blocking data intensive apps from working over bridge. Youtube doesn't work either.
    Bluetooth tethering does
    Not sure I believe this explanation. I can run YouTube with bridge, and the video is playing behind the "cannot play without wifi" popup! The same thing is happening with Bing Maps.

Now, most can live with YouTube app not working mainly because you can run the browser. But Bing Maps? When you're traveling? Blocking that one while bridged would be plain dumb. I think the popup is by accident.
    05-05-12 08:11 AM
    Not sure I believe this explanation. I can run YouTube with bridge, and the video is playing behind the "cannot play without wifi" popup! The same thing is happening with Bing Maps.

Now, most can live with YouTube app not working mainly because you can run the browser. But Bing Maps? When you're traveling? Blocking that one while bridged would be plain dumb. I think the popup is by accident.
    Yea I noticed that too..
    But I think the only 'accident' was they didn't fully block them.
    I don't think it they were disabled by accident, what rim slipped fell and.. Accidentally wrote lines of code that told the disabled a working feature? When did they do that, while fixing the predictive text? Lol

At&t wants you to pay for tethering, they will castrate your device to make you pay extra.. they don't want you to use bridge(or nfc, or blackberry maps for that matter) without paying them extra, Which makes sense why those apps are now registering bridged internet as 'offline' and are demanding a tethered or wifi connection now..
    That doesn't happen by accident, that happens because someone wrote in a few extra lines of code to disable features. Rim doing favors for carriers
    05-05-12 03:33 PM
    MapApp works fine over Bridge and is FREE (found it in App World), it has maps for the whole planet... seems to work fine, used it today while out and about to find somwhere.
    08-28-12 03:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD