When I saw that these two apps were available for the PlayBook, I thought: Great! But that enthusiasm has since turned to loathing and frustration for the following reasons:

Podcasts: Don't get me wrong, if your favorite podcasts are there, it's great. But there's no option to manually add podcasts via URL, which I think is very stupid and shortsighted. I'd also like to see an option to import or export your settings to the memory card.

BB News: Same thing, with a twist: Can't import OPML files, a standard these days for RSS readers. Forget that, I'd be happy with being able to manually add my favorite feeds, which brings me to my last gripe: some of us have many news feeds (I have about 70 I read), and I tend to categorize them.

I wouldn't have thought that the features I mentioned would have been hard to implement, but I guess I was wrong. I can only hope that these apps for the PlayBook get better as time goes by. I'm trying to hang on and be patient, but if I can't get the apps I need, the reasons for using it become harder and harder to justify each day. I'm a loyal RIM BlackBerry user, and I long for the days when they actually cared about actual business users and not consumers. While I know those days are long gone, I can only hope there's a happy medium in there somewhere.
    06-13-11 11:25 PM
    What memory card?

The podcast app for the phones didn't allow manual URL entry out of the gate. I'm sure it'll come.
    06-14-11 05:31 AM
    I meant device memory in this case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-11 11:52 AM
    My issue with BB News is that it takes so long to update, especially when you have a lot of feeds. I've taken to using it for the pre-loaded "topics" and then switching back to Glimpse for my personal feeds. I treat it kind of like a newspaper, which is fitting because that's exactly how it looks and functions.
    06-14-11 12:27 PM
    I've stopped using it until they update it, because, for me, at least, it's unusuable for now.
    06-14-11 12:29 PM
    I've stopped using it until they update it, because, for me, at least, it's unusuable for now.
    Agreed. My biggest problem with it is that you can't mark feeds as read, or at least I haven't found a way if you can. There are a few nice features to it, but not enough for me to stop using the News Feeds app on my Torch...
    Nels likes this.
    06-14-11 12:58 PM
    When I saw that these two apps were available for the PlayBook, I thought: Great! But that enthusiasm has since turned to loathing and frustration for the following reasons:

Podcasts: Don't get me wrong, if your favorite podcasts are there, it's great. But there's no option to manually add podcasts via URL, which I think is very stupid and shortsighted. I'd also like to see an option to import or export your settings to the memory card.

BB News: Same thing, with a twist: Can't import OPML files, a standard these days for RSS readers. Forget that, I'd be happy with being able to manually add my favorite feeds, which brings me to my last gripe: some of us have many news feeds (I have about 70 I read), and I tend to categorize them.

I wouldn't have thought that the features I mentioned would have been hard to implement, but I guess I was wrong. I can only hope that these apps for the PlayBook get better as time goes by. I'm trying to hang on and be patient, but if I can't get the apps I need, the reasons for using it become harder and harder to justify each day. I'm a loyal RIM BlackBerry user, and I long for the days when they actually cared about actual business users and not consumers. While I know those days are long gone, I can only hope there's a happy medium in there somewhere.
    I tend to agree, however I am willing to wait for a bit to get the full functionality.
    06-14-11 03:34 PM
    Ordinarily, I would as well. As it is, I'm really vacillating between keeping the PlayBook and going back to my netbook, which does more for me. Without the requisite apps I need for everyday use, I'm finding it harder to justify keeping it.

I'm trying to hang in there, though. What I find disturbing is the relative feeling from some PB users that if you don't like it, then go! I'm trying to justify my TCO and make myself just as productive on a daily basis.

We'll see and hope.
    06-14-11 06:29 PM
    The inability to manually add podcast URLs drives me nuts.. Still using PodTrapper on my Torch for podcasts at this point..

And with GeeReader being free, hard to understand why anyone would be using BB News at this point..
    gordongr likes this.
    06-14-11 08:12 PM
    That's what I ended up using. It's not bad, I wouldn't mind a feature that showed notification of new articles, like what I'm used to with BeReader, but it'll do.
    06-14-11 09:01 PM
    Gee Reader is great, also bereader on my phone, they sync well with google, I cant see using anything other than Geereader on the Playbook for rss feeds
    06-14-11 09:23 PM
    Gee Reader is great, also bereader on my phone, they sync well with google, I cant see using anything other than Geereader on the Playbook for rss feeds
    Don't you need a google account to use geereader?
    06-15-11 09:35 AM
    Don't you need a google account to use geereader?
    Yep! It is a Playbook app interface into your Google Reader account. Love it!
    06-15-11 03:20 PM
    Agreed. My biggest problem with it is that you can't mark feeds as read, or at least I haven't found a way if you can. There are a few nice features to it, but not enough for me to stop using the News Feeds app on my Torch...
    I second that. What good is a reader if I can't mark articles as read?
    06-15-11 06:43 PM
    My concern with the BB News app, and I do really like it, is that it is unable to pick up some RSS feeds that other applications such as Glimpse and Pipeline can view. For example, News 1130 (News1130 - News) can be picked up by Glimpse and Pipeline by typing that address in. Not so on BB News - it says that nothing can be found. The same with CKNW (CKNW AM 980: News. Talk. Sports.). I have no idea why BB News can not find the feeds when I type the same address into the other two programs and they are able to find the feeds.

If anyone has any idea why, I'd be very greatful to find out.
    06-15-11 07:25 PM
    I would like to have the option of a different list of news feeds on my Playbook than on my Torch/phone.
    06-15-11 10:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD