it is neither possible to show the actual weather and temperature on the app icon nor on the home screen background.
    This is the sole feature I would be looking for in a weather app for the Playbook; without this, I'll just stick with the default weather app.
    03-23-12 08:30 PM
    I'm not sure why there's so much complaining, as the app works well. There's a little stutter on the animations (as mentioned by Bellshare), but it's no big deal. The font color can't be changed, but everything else is pretty darn good.
    Thanks!
    We have actually developed this on the Tablet OS 2.0 beta. The animations were running butter smooth. RIM is aware of the bug and we hope they will fix it in the next Tablet OS update.
    EDIT: We are aware of the font color bug. A workaround right now is to turn the Playbook into portrait mode while you are viewing it.
    Last edited by pfluger; 03-23-12 at 08:39 PM.
    tsells likes this.
    03-23-12 08:33 PM
    Turned it to portrait and I was able to set the font color. Went back to landscape and all is good.
    03-23-12 09:04 PM

Last edited by tellsells; 03-23-12 at 10:17 PM.
    03-23-12 09:26 PM
    What is wrong with Android apps? 99% of them work well on playbook.
    Not able to multitask.
    03-23-12 10:45 PM
    I was able to add every single location you listed. Is your wifi connection on the Playbook working? Have you been able to add any other location?
    Since I had sent my refund request to Bellshare who stated that I need to request it from App World, and others have posted that it was working for them, I decided to re-install it today and give it another try. This time I was able to add the cities mentioned that I could not add previously and they were all there this time. Since I had previously verified my wifi was working and I tried several times to search for these locations it seems that deleting it and performing a reinstall somehow resolved this problem.

However, there are still issues other than the animation bug that has been acknowledge as an OS problem that mean that this app is still not worth 4.99.

1. It is not a native app. Regardless of what people have stated, this matters for several reasons. Better multi-tasking, faster and consistent load times, better interprocess communication.
    2. It is still quite buggy as it crashed on me upon initial load, load times are very inconsistent and you still have to add your location manually. This is a weather app and at 4.99 I would expect it to use GPS to find my city not just use it afterward to find weather stations near me.
    3. After putting it through the paces today by loading several other apps, including Android apps I found it to perform poorly and I was presented with an "app not responding" several times when either loading the app or changing settings.
    4. After testing it earlier then closing the app, opening it again several times the load times varied from nearly instant to nearly a minute. I loaded it again tonight after getting home from work and it loaded quickly, initially. The next time the load took a minute and a half and it had lost *all* of its settings. Everything reverted to default settings and I also had to add my locations again as well.

The reasons given by F2 are also a factor in why this app is not worth 4.99. To those indicating that 4.99 is not too much to pay for an app, I agree, as long as that app compares favorably with other lower priced apps that can do more, are native, and perform consistently. I for one have no problem paying 4.99 or more for an app that does more than "just works occasionally" and meets my needs.

Right now I will think over whether to proceed with a proper refund request or keep the app with the hope that these issues will be addressed. I know Bellshare is capable as I use their BB apps on mine and my wife's BlackBerry and on the BB platform the apps are excellent. While visually appealing the PB version is still lacking and not up to their standards.
    03-23-12 11:42 PM
    This is the sole feature I would be looking for in a weather app for the Playbook; without this, I'll just stick with the default weather app.
    Same here, otherwise I would never use it. I love the way I can see the weather and temperature at a glance on my BB, I would have thought that was the whole point of a weather app, I hardly use the default one, although it is quite nice, but for the exact same reason, what a shame! Nice to see the devs participating in the thread, RIM ought to show there faces now and again too, there are so many answers left unanswered..
    SnoozerBold and BearSnout like this.
    03-24-12 05:26 AM
    I have experienced app "crashing" twice, which requires a device re-boot so that the app opens again.
    03-24-12 09:53 AM
    After reading many different "opinions" in this thread, I guess my main question (have about 5) is, "will Bellshare produce a NATIVE BeWeather for the PlayBook?" so that the consumer can have a smooth interaction that native apps bring to the PlayBook
    03-24-12 10:16 AM
    After reading many different "opinions" in this thread, I guess my main question (have about 5) is, "will Bellshare produce a NATIVE BeWeather for the PlayBook?" so that the consumer can have a smooth interaction that native apps bring to the PlayBook
    supposedly waiting for BB10.... =/
    03-24-12 11:08 AM
    re: native pb app

supposedly waiting for BB10.... =/
    I could ask - since BB10 will be a modified version of what we now have, why not get a jump start on BB10 and create a native app NOW??? I would presume that the apps would work on both "OS's"
    rjedge54 likes this.
    03-24-12 11:57 AM
    This has been covered several times now.

Some of the features this app provides using the Android Runtime wouldn't have been possible to implement in a native/AIR app.
    03-24-12 12:00 PM
    Having these "extra" feature aren't of much use when the app crashes and doesn't work as it should. Since writing my, asthma post in this thread, the app crashed three times, lost its setting once last night after taking 2 minutes to loads, and this morning when I again loaded it to check the weather in predation for going for a bike ride, it again took nearly 2 minutes to load and again lost all of the settings. That was the last chance for me.

Out of the 175 apps I have installed, this one is the only one to be this much of a problem. Do the others have any bugs? Of course, there is no such thing as bug free software but none of the others have been show stoppers as this one has.
    03-24-12 12:18 PM
    Having these "extra" feature aren't of much use when the app crashes and doesn't work as it should. Since writing my, asthma post in this thread, the app crashed three times, lost its setting once last night after taking 2 minutes to loads, and this morning when I again loaded it to check the weather in predation for going for a bike ride, it again took nearly 2 minutes to load and again lost all of the settings. That was the last chance for me.

Out of the 175 apps I have installed, this one is the only one to be this much of a problem. Do the others have any bugs? Of course, there is no such thing as bug free software but none of the others have been show stoppers as this one has.
    Are you using weather animations?
    03-24-12 12:59 PM
    Ok, let me rephrase my original question "because of the significant amount of known BUGS in the Android version, will there be a NATIVE BeWeather made in the NEAR future?" IMO.....Blackberry PlayBook should have been a no brainer for this app
    03-24-12 01:20 PM
    Are you using weather animations?
    Yes, and I get the animation flicker, which is a minor bug compared to the others.
    03-24-12 01:38 PM
    Ok, let me rephrase my original question "because of the significant amount of known BUGS in the Android version, will there be a NATIVE BeWeather made in the NEAR future?" IMO.....Blackberry PlayBook should have been a no brainer for this app
    Ask RIM. They put the limitations on the operating systems

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk
    03-24-12 01:39 PM
    Yes, and I get the animation flicker, which is a minor bug compared to the others.
    I was asking because the problems like long startup times and crashes probably all come from using weather animations in the current version of the Tablet OS. Can you try using a static background and see if you still have the same problems?
    03-24-12 01:44 PM
    Ask RIM. They put the limitations on the operating systems

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk
    Ok, I'm confused, who makes BeWeather, Bellshare or RIM, and/or you affiliated with that developer, because that's where my question was directed

Edit; pfluger do you know if a native BeWeather is possible in the near future?
    Last edited by spencerdl; 03-24-12 at 01:59 PM.
    03-24-12 01:55 PM
    We expect RIM to make the Android Runtime a full fledged option for developing for the BB10 platform. Right now the Android Runtime can be a little buggy and lacks in the user experience when it comes to running multiple applications. We expect RIM to improve these in the coming versions of the Tablet OS/BB10. The bugs are not in our app.

As soon as RIM brings the Cascades UI framework to BB10 we will of course take another look at developing a native version, but with the current tools available Android is the obvious choice.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-24-12 02:00 PM
    We expect RIM to make the Android Runtime a full fledged option for developing for the BB10 platform. Right now the Android Runtime can be a little buggy and lacks in the user experience when it comes to running multiple applications. We expect RIM to improve these in the coming versions of the Tablet OS/BB10. The bugs are not in our app.

As soon as RIM brings the Cascades UI framework to BB10 we will of course take another look at developing a native version, but with the current tools available Android is the obvious choice.
    Thanks, for the explanation, now I guess I will go and take a chance with the BeWeather Android port over because I just gotta have it
    03-24-12 02:04 PM
    Let me add this. Deep integration of 3rd party apps into the BlackBerry OS (or Super App support as RIM calls it) is one of the major strenghts of the BlackBerry OS. The Tablet OS/BB10 has been lacking in this area (to put it mildly).

That is why we cannot change homescreen icon, the wallpaper, the LED etc, regardless of what option we use for development.

RIM has promised to bring all the Super App features to BB10, but at this point we have no information at how this will be done or which development option will get access to it(WebWorks, AIR, native, Android).
    FF22 and Spencerdl like this.
    03-24-12 02:09 PM
    Hummmmmm, "Super App Feature", I guess a lot of people are waiting on RIM. I ask, is it really that difficult or is RIM dragging their feet?
    03-24-12 02:19 PM
    Can anyone provide an update as to how well BeWeather is responding on their PlayBook. I would like to put this Android app on my PlayBook, but I don't want to pay for something that does not work properly, or should I wait for the next PlayBook update so that animations work as promised by Belshare
    Last edited by spencerdl; 04-15-12 at 05:36 PM.
    04-15-12 05:12 PM
    Wow, nobody??, I read all the reviews on app world, but I thought I could get some kind of feed back from some Crackberry faithfuls......oh well, I guess I will take the plunge. Thanks anyway
    04-15-12 11:54 PM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD