Guess what, fellow playbook-heads? BeWeather HD for the PlayBook just showed up in Appworld! The app is $5, get in there and dnload! The apps are rolling in! It's about dang time!
    03-22-12 06:17 AM
    Yeah just picked it up. Its a android app. Im having a hard time getting it to connect to my location right now.
    03-22-12 06:25 AM
    I have BeWeather on my phone, but I'm not comfortable with putting another Android app on my PlayBook. I've been using BeWeather (BerryWeather) for years, why couldn't they just make a native application? . I think before purchasing, I will see how the reviews go
    Last edited by spencerdl; 03-22-12 at 06:36 AM.
    kbz1960, Relletti, dimm0k and 4 others like this.
    03-22-12 06:32 AM
    I have BeWeather on my phone, but I'm not comfortable with putting another Android app on my PlayBook. I've been using BeWeather (BerryWeather) for years, why couldn't they make a native application?
    I'm divided on the android player. I was afraid this was going to happen. Devs are going to take the easy way if at all.

Hopefully RIM can get the player working much better.
    03-22-12 06:37 AM
    I'm divided on the android player. I was afraid this was going to happen. Devs are going to take the easy way if at all.

Ditto that.
    ex_droidluvr likes this.
    03-22-12 06:47 AM
    I have BeWeather on my phone, but I'm not comfortable with putting another Android app on my PlayBook. I've been using BeWeather (BerryWeather) for years, why couldn't they just make a native application? . I think before purchasing, I will see how the reviews go
    What is wrong with Android apps? 99% of them work well on playbook.
    03-22-12 06:49 AM
    Ditto that.

It brings apps to the platform though. And It bolsters App World's numbers, which, in theory, will attract more devs.
    03-22-12 06:51 AM
    It brings apps to the platform though. And It bolsters App World's numbers, which, in theory, will attract more devs.
    We hope. Do you think any that have ported are going to go native at some point or just end it there?
    blemoon42 likes this.
    03-22-12 06:56 AM
    If Android Player worked seamlessly though, what would be the point in developing a native app?
    03-22-12 07:05 AM
    What is wrong with Android apps? 99% of them work well on playbook.
    The one (1) that I have on my PlayBook now works great, but it appears that most Android apps run "sporadic" and inconsistent on the PlayBook. I'm not comfortable taking any chances causing the possibility of doing a security wipe. I do like BeWeather though, I'm going to wait for some reviews and see what happens.
    Last edited by spencerdl; 03-22-12 at 07:11 AM.
    03-22-12 07:09 AM
    It in theory attracts more users, and an increased userbase in theory attracts more devs.

Basically what we need to hope for is that users gravitate towards native apps over Android apps, and that most purchases go to the native ones. That of course means most Android devs won't feel like just porting their apps over, but at the same time they'll realise that there is money to be made with native apps.
    03-22-12 07:12 AM
    We hope. Do you think any that have ported are going to go native at some point or just end it there?
    Depends on sales likely. If they sell well, I am sure they will. That Zombie Rebuild game was *i believe* and Android dev that developed a native PB app and wrote about how easy it was. This is, I believe, RIM's plan. Hook them with the easy port, have them make money, then show them how to develop native.
    kbz1960 and joski like this.
    03-22-12 07:15 AM
    If Android Player worked seamlessly though, what would be the point in developing a native app?
    If is the elephant in the room. I don't know that the player will ever have access to hardware etc. that some apps need to work properly.

I'm testing win8 in a virtual environment on my win7 lappy. It is slow and laggy nothing like being installed. Ever use a virtual environment on anything? Usually not the best experience.
    03-22-12 07:26 AM
    If is the elephant in the room. I don't know that the player will ever have access to hardware etc. that some apps need to work properly.

I'm testing win8 in a virtual environment on my win7 lappy. It is slow and laggy nothing like being installed. Ever use a virtual environment on anything? Usually not the best experience.

Well depends lol. I use a VMware system at work on a VERY robust chassis. The servers run flawlessly (dozens of them), but i get your point. VM systems require a ton of system resources to work well. And running it at the bare minimum never is a fantastic experience. BUT, it does work, and work fairly well as the system itself. How many other tablets can claim this? Its a good way to lure developers as people will generally take the easy path. Getting them to stay depends on us, the consumers.
    03-22-12 07:31 AM
    Well depends lol. I use a VMware system at work on a VERY robust chassis. The servers run flawlessly (dozens of them), but i get your point. VM systems require a ton of system resources to work well. And running it at the bare minimum never is a fantastic experience. BUT, it does work, and work fairly well as the system itself. How many other tablets can claim this? Its a good way to lure developers as people will generally take the easy path. Getting them to stay depends on us, the consumers.
    LOL yep. IF they get the player working better than I read it does now, I have only tried one android and found it laggy and not a good experience, then maybe ported apps will be all right.

Anyone know if devs are doing any more work on ported apps or are they doing like I could and just porting?
    03-22-12 07:41 AM
    Hey all, been testing this for a while now and as stated in app description

*** Due to a bug in Tablet OS 2.0.0.7971 you might experience stutter and/or degraded quality using weather animations in BeWeather. This should be fixed in an upcoming Tablet OS update. We have therefore marked this feature as 'experimental' for now ***

But other then that, it works great, updates, warning even the new maps BellShare has added. Very dynamic

Here is App description:

FEATURES:

- 100% Ad-Free

- Weather data provided by Weather Underground, includes 7 day and hourly forecasts

- Visually stunning display of weather information using high definition animations (experimental)

- More accurate conditions by switching to a nearby weather stations for any location

- Weather advisory notifications (US only) - Built-in animated radar (US only) and IR/Vis satellite maps

- Replace/extend the default radar/satellite maps with your preferred weather service's radar maps!

- Add custom web cams and other media links (weather radio, video, HTML etc)

- Sunrise/Sunset times and moon phase

- Completely customize BeWeather using fonts and colors
    03-22-12 07:42 AM
    I suggest that we be patient. If I were a dev, I would wait for BB10 before creating the native app. Until then, I would port over. I understand not wanting to pay for a port over though. Seems like we're getting ripped. I am still miffed that Angry Birds Rio is a free dnload everywhere but AppWorld.
    03-22-12 07:52 AM
    I downloaded it before realizing its android port, little dissapointed for that as I've always seen Beweather as kindof a Blackberry app, even a little more disheartened to learn it was developed for android 1rst, but oh well, I have it now
    03-22-12 08:01 AM
    I'll pass. I use BeWeather on my 9900 and while the basics run well enough some of the features are totally buggy. This wouldn't be such a bit deal except for the fact that Bellshare has the worst customer service in the industry. The only responses I ever received from them were automated messages asking if my problem had been resolved.

Add to that the fact that it's an Android port makes this app not worth the premium price tag.

Thanks anyway!
    03-22-12 08:53 AM
    Too bad their customer services leaves a lot to be desired or I'd consider it.
    Mikey_T and trsbbs like this.
    03-22-12 09:00 AM
    I have BeWeather on my Bold and it's a great app. However, I have not been at all impressed with the GPS capabilities on the PB. On the Bold BeWeather can use cell tower triangulation so you have a fairly accurate location ID when you travel, even if you're deep inside a building. The PB fails to GPS locate inside most any building I'm in, and barely hooks up sitting outside on a deck with an overhang. On PB, BeWeather has to rely entirely on GPS or a manual input of your location, so I guess it will work, just not as neatly as a cellular device will.
    03-22-12 09:03 AM
    Hey all, been testing this for a while now and as stated in app description

*** Due to a bug in Tablet OS 2.0.0.7971 you might experience stutter and/or degraded quality using weather animations in BeWeather. This should be fixed in an upcoming Tablet OS update. We have therefore marked this feature as 'experimental' for now ***
    I wonder if the 'bug' they mention is just the fact that the Android Player is so laggy, slow and limited as to be nearly un-useable?
    03-22-12 09:03 AM
    Have BeWeather on my 9900, and love it! Got all excited when I saw it was for PlayBook too, but immediately turned off when I read the review not native, I am put off because of the lag and no multitasking capabilities, can I ask whoever bought the app, does it show an updating icon of the weather like the phone version? That might persuade me, otherwise I'll wait at that price..
    03-22-12 09:13 AM
    It would be nice if the Android runtime was optional so that those of us that want to avoid any problems with ported Android apps could just not install the Android runtime or disable it to avoid Andriod apps in AppWorld. This app is an example. For those of us using it on our BlackBerry phones, we would never have thought to ask if it was an Android port before downloading it.
    Last edited by robsteve; 03-22-12 at 09:20 AM.
    03-22-12 09:15 AM
    Yeah just picked it up. Its a android app. Im having a hard time getting it to connect to my location right now.
    So this is not a native app, that's disappointing
    I will not spent 5 dollar for an Android app, that's for sure.

Common developers, you can do better than this!
    mzceetee likes this.
    03-22-12 09:27 AM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD