Android app player is going to be a cluster F and this is just the beginning. It's just a bandaid for RIM's poor execution of the PB.

http://engt.co/yRTyvT
    In our review of PlayBook 2.0, we were eager to check out how well Android apps worked on the platform, and one of the first we reached for was the Dolphin HD browser. Curiously enough, it turns out Dolphin's makers MoboTap had no idea their app was available via BlackBerry's App World. The discovery came after we were notified by developer Steve Troughton-Smith that Dolphin HD had been submitted to App World by white label store Handster (owned by Opera). We reached out to MoboTap who confirmed they didn't authorize any submission by Handster, with a spokesperson telling us "We do not condone Handster submitting our Dolphin Browser app to BlackBerry's App World for us and are currently working to take it down and assure Handster will not submit our app for us again. We will assess developing for BlackBerry when the time is right." Dolphin HD may be a free app, but the question remains: why is Handster submitting it without permission? Has your app been submitted to App World without your knowing?
    02-25-12 10:00 AM
    Handster has b en putting tons of apps up..all garbage with the exception for free dolphin hd
    02-25-12 10:25 AM
    Even if they do take it down, it can be easily sideloaded.
    02-25-12 10:33 AM
    Funny, I asked Alec Saunders a question on this topic earlier today on Twitter:

@asaunders Can we submit .bar to AppWorld on behalf of Android developers? Like Handster does? Do we need the devs explicit permission?

@EMikailT Developer, or developers legal representative has to make submission. Handster has contracts with devs - that's how they do it.
    Melfice and si_chindo like this.
    02-25-12 11:03 AM
    Dolphin sucked on my android, I won't use it here either. No loss in my books.
    DAnklaud likes this.
    02-25-12 11:15 AM
    Dolphin blows. I say take it down and don't bring it back.
    EricB1968 and DAnklaud like this.
    02-25-12 11:16 AM
    Dolphin blows. I say take it down and don't bring it back.
    I totally agree with you.
    DAnklaud likes this.
    02-25-12 11:39 AM
    Handster makes devs sign an agreement with them saying they can release your app on any supported platform. Handster is just an app world - but these big guys sign with them and don't read the fine print.
    ordigas and DAnklaud like this.
    02-25-12 11:41 AM
    Handster is NOT an app developer.

Handster is an independent app store that was bought by Opera last year. So you made a fart app on the Android platform --- you submit it to Android Market, Amazon app store and Handster app store.

The FINE print in the Handster app store agreement --- allows Handster to sell your apps in other white label app stores. That's why many android developers don't even know that their apps were repackaged by Handster and appear on the Playbook app store.

The problem with Handster repackaged apps is that Handster doesn't have the source code --- so the apps weren't "retouched" (i.e. size of buttons, fonts...).
    02-25-12 03:08 PM
    It wont be missed. I love the browser that came with the PB
    Spencerdl likes this.
    02-25-12 03:57 PM
    It wont be missed. I love the browser that came with the PB
    Same here....somethings are just NOT necessary
    02-25-12 04:00 PM
    Our free app is being given away for free elsewhere!! Yawn...
    KermEd likes this.
    02-25-12 04:17 PM
    If only Opera would make THEIR browser for the Playbook....
    02-25-12 04:48 PM
    Seems like its gone already
    02-25-12 04:54 PM
    Say sayonara bye bye to Dolphin Browser...no more on App World.
    02-26-12 09:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD