Hey guys, I'm buying my first car either this week or next and it's going to be a Ford Fiesta and I want to mount my Playbook and use the Playbook bridge to keep my Internet connection and instead of getting a separate gps unit, was thinking of using my Playbook as the gps unit.

With that being said, what is the best turn by turn gps nav app for the Playbook either free or paid. Must work in Canada

Thanks

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-11-13 06:55 PM
    you should really look at a Festiva over a Fiesta

and youre better off, WAY BETTER OFF to go grab a cheap $75 garmin or tomtom as the PB will not be reliable
    02-11-13 07:23 PM
    Search for the app Navigator on the app world, I used my playbook running this app in a long trip to other state and it has great accuracy, the best part is that it provides offline maps and offline turn by turn navigation, you just have to download the maps for the region you want and the voice packs within the app and you can say good bye to data charges, you can also change to online maps and online navigation, this app provides you google maps, bing and other popular services, mind you there is a little learning curve, but the app has a manual to help you. I have used this app a lot and I can vouch for its accuracy, I can also answer any questions you have about the app. One recommendation, to get a gps fix faster of your playbook download the app gps test(free), once you get a fix all the other navigation apps will also show you your location. The gps on the playbook IS reliable just takes longer to get a gps fix because the playbook doesnt have an assisted gps.
    Last edited by Blackman91; 02-11-13 at 08:27 PM.
    nasi goreng likes this.
    02-11-13 07:52 PM
    Have to agree on purchasing a GPS device. First off it doesn't cost anything to use it on a regular basis as with a phone or playbook it would require use of your data plan. I have a Garmin and paid for a pretty good one that includes a one time purchase of Lifetime Map updates and Lifetime traffic updates was included. I have more than got my moneys worth out of it as it is plugged in and automatically starts when key is turned. If this was the case with my phone or playbook, my data charges would be absolutely insane.
    02-11-13 08:19 PM
    Search for the app Navigator on the app world, I used my playbook running this app in a long trip to other state and it has great accuracy, the best part is that it provides offline maps and offline turn by turn navigation, you just have to download the maps for the region you want and the voice packs within the app and you can say good bye to data charges, you can also change to online maps and online navigation, this app provides you google maps, bing and other popular services, mind you there is a little learning curve, but the app has a manual to help you. I have used this app a lot and I can vouch for its accuracy, I can also answer any questions you have about the app. One recommendation, to get a gps fix faster of your playbook download the app gps test(free), once you get a fix all the other navigation apps will also show you your location. The gps on the playbook IS reliable just takes longer to get a gps fix because the playbook doesnt have an assisted gps.
    I know next to nothing about the inner workings of the gps but how is it able to use the satellite to give you coordinates/directions if it is not using data from phone?
    I probably misinterpreted something in your post
    02-11-13 11:17 PM
    Good question I dont really know, maybe it uses the data of the offline maps you download, but I can assure you the turn by turn navigation works 100% offline. You can search Navigator in the appworld and read all the features.
    02-12-13 01:33 AM
    Good question I dont really know, maybe it uses the data of the offline maps you download, but I can assure you the turn by turn navigation works 100% offline. You can search Navigator in the appworld and read all the features.
    Well that is cool. So just so I understand, you really are able to use the Playbook as a GPS without it being hooked up to wifi or your phone?
    02-12-13 06:58 AM
    Yes, the PB has standalone GPS but not the more accurate Assisted (by cellphone) A-GPS.
    However, it's pointless without a map to track on. This leaves two options:
    1) download map data from a wifi/cell source on the go
    2) precache map data while on your much cheaper home/hotel/wherever wifi before you leave.

Ok, there's actually a third, you can compare GPS location from PB to a paper map and plot your route.. somewhat archaic though.
    02-12-13 07:46 AM
    Well that is cool. So just so I understand, you really are able to use the Playbook as a GPS without it being hooked up to wifi or your phone?
    Yes, but first you have to download the maps of your region within the app and you are good to go.
    GV2012 likes this.
    02-12-13 07:53 AM
    I know next to nothing about the inner workings of the gps but how is it able to use the satellite to give you coordinates/directions if it is not using data from phone?
    I probably misinterpreted something in your post
    The basic aspect of a gps is to find your geo-cordinates - latitude and longitude. That is all that happens when the unit (pb, garmin, tomtom, etc) gets signals from the overhead satellites. The original gps units did only that - where am I in lat/long. A basic GPS's provide no other graphic info or maps or directional/routing info. Incrementally, additional features have been added with directions, maps, streetviews, points-of-interests, etc.

So, the gps in the pb does the basics - it finds your lat/long. Then it is up to apps to provide additional features, like mapping and directions and traffic, etc. So you do not need DATA to find lat/long. You might not need data if you can download maps to your computer and copy them over. You might need data or wifi access to download maps directly to the pb. Again, depending on the app, the app might be able to provide directions/routing using the maps it has already downloaded (and internal processes) or it might rely on data as you progress on your route.

So, one could consider a Garmin an elaborate single-purpose "tablet" unit with a dedicated App that does it all without any need for additional data connections.

An agps, I believe, is not more accurate - it merely uses cell towers to help narrow your current location down quicker. And, if you are out in the vast US desert, there might not be many cell towers to speed the process.
    Last edited by F2; 02-12-13 at 09:38 AM.
    Blackman91 and GV2012 like this.
    02-12-13 09:25 AM
    Got it. Great. Obviously downloading maps is no problem I just thought I would need some constant hook up or something.
    Btw, I noticed there was more than one Navigator app in app world if my mind is not playing tricks on me....which particular Navigator is it?
    02-12-13 03:00 PM
    I use Megallan Compass 4.1 on my playbook, on my phone is blackberry travel or waze. I love them all and they are reliable for my business - real estate. Enjoy it
    02-12-13 03:55 PM
    Got it. Great. Obviously downloading maps is no problem I just thought I would need some constant hook up or something.
    Btw, I noticed there was more than one Navigator app in app world if my mind is not playing tricks on me....which particular Navigator is it?
    There are two Navigator apps by the same dev, the 0.99 one only works online. Btw I recommend downloading the free app gps test too, make sure your playbook is in an open area, run the gps test app and wait for the fix, once its done open navigator and it will show you your location right away, thats what i always do to get a gps fix faster and works great.
    02-12-13 04:17 PM
    I have bought two -Navigator and the Magelllan apps. My preference is the latest version of Magellan.
    02-12-13 06:29 PM
    I also like Magellan but you cant download maps to use offline and the navigation requires internet. Btw GV2012 if you have any questions about Navigator I can answer them.
    02-12-13 07:29 PM
    There is also Osmand. It has voice guided turn by turn. Downloadable maps for offline use. Offline route calculation. And best of all, it's free. Some people don't like it for one reason or another, but I do.
    02-12-13 08:17 PM
    There is also Osmand. It has voice guided turn by turn. Downloadable maps for offline use. Offline route calculation. And best of all, it's free. Some people don't like it for one reason or another, but I do.
    This is what I use when I'm outside reliable coverage from my carrier. Free version allows download of several maps. In the US, each map is a state. I downloaded the maps for all of the states I frequent.

It's very good.

When I have data, I use sideloaded Google Latitude
    02-12-13 08:58 PM
    awesome suggestions everyone, I have osmand right now, but I have not a clue how to use it lol. With my Ford Fiesta, i want to get a cup holder mount and use the PlayBook, and may sync it to the Ford Sync. I have an old GPS unit that was my moms until I got her a new one with life time updates for maps. But I like the size of the PB, and I don't mind using SOME data, so that's why I'm asking you guys. I will try Osmand out this weekend when I pick up the car.
    02-12-13 09:02 PM
    Quick:

You might also look at Nogago Maps.
    02-13-13 09:45 AM
    you could also sideload M8, works a treat
    02-13-13 12:21 PM
    An agps, I believe, is not more accurate - it merely uses cell towers to help narrow your current location down quicker. And, if you are out in the vast US desert, there might not be many cell towers to speed the process.
    This, the gps on the playbook is accurate just takes longer to get a fix, also very detailed explanation in your post good job.
    02-13-13 09:21 PM
    Just a quick question on the GPS Fix. I downloaded the app and it found the location but then said to log this into one of a few map sites/links.I wasn't on wifi when I did the fix so do I have to do the fix all over again while connected to wifi to be calibrated to work with one of the GPS map apps?
    02-14-13 02:07 PM
    No, once you get a fix you can just close the app and go to the maps app of your preference and select my location and it will show you your location right away, unless you lose the signal or turn off the playbook you will not need to do a gps fix again with wifi but remember you have to be in an open area.
    02-14-13 03:28 PM
    I'm not sure how appworld (or whatever it is now called) does it but there are two GPS Test named apps!
    02-14-13 07:50 PM
    This is the one I use and its really accurate:
    http://www.google.com.mx/url?sa=t&rc...42261806,d.b2U
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-14-13 08:41 PM
51 123