Browsing the App Store, I found that a lot of maps/GPS apps are quite expensive. I don't want to have to buy all of them to find that none of them work very well and that I won't be able to get a refund. Also, another thread warned us not to use the GPS app from Skylabs.

Which SatNav apps can you recommend which works for the UK?

Bing Maps is surprisingly good, but it doesn't act as a SatNav.
    01-01-12 06:29 AM
    Browsing the App Store, I found that a lot of maps/GPS apps are quite expensive. I don't want to have to buy all of them to find that none of them work very well and that I won't be able to get a refund. Also, another thread warned us not to use the GPS app from Skylabs.

Which SatNav apps can you recommend which works for the UK?

Bing Maps is surprisingly good, but it doesn't act as a SatNav.
    There are no native full-featured SatNav apps for the PlayBook. As you noted there is an ongoing controversy regarding a certain vendor's offering "on device" maps for many cities around the world. Strictly speaking, these apps do offer "GPS" support albeit in the narrowest possible meaning of the term. They do not offer automated re-routing, voice turn-by-turn, points of interest or other features that you might expect for premium-priced apps.

The "on-device" designation is also technically correct in that the apps do have a caching mechanism. However there is ample evidence that the apps are still dependent on having an open internet connection under real-world circumstances.
    01-01-12 07:21 AM
    Magellan allows a test for a number of days. Some folks seem to like it. It does not do voice-navigation.
    01-01-12 10:39 AM
    I just downloaded Google Maps to my Playbook from the Good E Reader app store (google good e reader and pick the Playbook Android App Store). The whole process took me less than 30 minutes including reading the instructions. You need to put the PlayBook in developer mode to load the app, but once loaded you can go back to "normal mode" and everything continues to work. In the United Kingdom (and I assume elsewhere in the world) Google Maps includes turn by turn navigation with spoken instructions and a very clear map. It does need a data connection to work, but it works through the Blackberry Bridge data connection from my Bold 9900. I have been out for 2 test drives to see how it works. It is really really good. The directions are clear and acurate, when I deliberately went a different way to the directions it quickly recalculated an alternate route for me. A nice touch is that it shows a Google street view picture of your destination when you arrive. I have now ordered a Playbook windscreen mount from Crackberry (the postage charge to the UK is a little on the high side but I could not find a local source) to make my playbook into the perfect Sat Nav system! Whilst I was loading Google Maps I was also able to load a few other Android Apps that are unfortunately missing from the Blackberry App store - I loaded Kindle, Amazon's MP3 store, Sky+ remote record (of interest to UK readers only) and eBay.
    06-10-12 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD