My daughter who is almost 7 has decided that she wants to message me when I'm at work, she has a playbook and I have an android phone, what's the easiest and safest way for her to do so? too young for facebook, no phone for whatsapp, it'll be over wi-fi.
    Thanks
    05-02-14 04:01 AM
    E-mail?
    05-02-14 06:32 AM
    sorry, meant like an instant messenger, sms app. something like that.
    05-02-14 07:20 AM
    What do you use at work?
    05-02-14 07:31 AM
    Hmmm, what about getting an ancient Blackberry OS phone cheap from eBay and leaving it round the house, paired and bridged to the Playbook? Have the BlackBerry phone on the home wi-fi network and then just leave it plugged in and insert a pay-as-you-go SIM card in with a little credit on.

You could plug it in, put it in a cupboard, and forget about it.

Then you could use BBM on the Playbook.

It's a bit of cobbling together but should work I'd have thought.

Things to check out:
    I don't know for sure if BBM works on wi-fi on the older phones, but I'm sure someone will be able to tell you. I'd like to assume it does, but you never know with bloody Blackberry.

You may have to pay like we used to prior to BB10 for Blackberry server access on the mobile network even if you are just using BBM over wi-fi.

Make sense?

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 05:00 PM
    Galaxy S4 on work wifi
    05-02-14 05:14 PM
    Hmmm, what about getting an ancient Blackberry OS phone cheap from eBay and leaving it round the house, paired and bridged to the Playbook? Have the BlackBerry phone on the home wi-fi network and then just leave it plugged in and insert a pay-as-you-go SIM card in with a little credit on.

You could plug it in, put it in a cupboard, and forget about it.

Then you could use BBM on the Playbook.

It's a bit of cobbling together but should work I'd have thought.

Things to check out:
    I don't know for sure if BBM works on wi-fi on the older phones, but I'm sure someone will be able to tell you. I'd like to assume it does, but you never know with bloody Blackberry.

You may have to pay like we used to prior to BB10 for Blackberry server access on the mobile network even if you are just using BBM over wi-fi.

Make sense?

Posted via CB10
    Yeah it does, thanks for your thoughts, wouldn't think itd be so hard. will have a think.
    thanks again.
    05-02-14 05:17 PM
    So something like IM+ is out?
    05-02-14 05:24 PM
    Setup Whatsapp on PB with a free sim card then throw the sim card away.

Then add just your contact details to Whatsapp.

Child can message away using just the PB and Whatsapp with no need for a phone or sim after registration.
    James Clark1 likes this.
    05-04-14 07:59 PM
    BBM....

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 08:07 PM
    Cant get a working whatsapp for the pb.
    05-07-14 09:46 AM
    They have updated it with a new version I havent tried to do the same style of install with the new version.

Can anyone confirm if it is still possible?
    10-26-14 07:48 PM
    This thread has me roaring with laughter. Why not simply teach her to pick up that ancient device called a telephone, punch in the secrecy code to your cell or office phone previously denominated as a telephone number and there you are, quick secure and easy to do.

Why do we continually need to find complex solutions for simple things?
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    11-01-14 12:00 PM
    Well, according to original post, they wanted to send messages, not to talk.

But I agree with your point on complex solutions.
    11-02-14 04:14 AM
    Setup Whatsapp on PB with a free sim card then throw the sim card away.

Then add just your contact details to Whatsapp.

Child can message away using just the PB and Whatsapp with no need for a phone or sim after registration.
    You could just use a Google voice number that way you could keep the number even if you change devices and it is frew

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    11-02-14 05:01 AM
    you could just use a google voice number that way you could keep the number even if you change devices and it is free

z30sta100-3/10.2.1.3289

z30sta100-3/10.2.1.3289
    11-02-14 05:01 AM
    You could just use a Google voice number that way you could keep the number even if you change devices and it is frew

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    Unless something has change, Google Voice is only in the US. I'd love to get one (if I could), as I only have a work cell phone. If I ever change jobs, I have to go and update everything with a new number (don't have a home line either).
    11-06-14 07:48 AM
    Essentially you are looking for sort of instant messenger app or something like text+ (which has iOS and Android versions) right? Let me see what I can find.

Maybe something like this?

http://m.crackberry.com/im-goes-free...berry-playbook

EDIT:

IM+ Pro is still in the app store. It's a relatively expensive $4.99, and claims to be able to use a variety of instant messenger accounts. It would be easy enough for you to create a yahoo/aim/msn messenger account and set it up for use with it, if it still works with them.

There are a handful of other third party instant messaging apps out there as well. Keep in mind that on the Playbook App Store there are more than a few "crapps" - pieces of software that no longer work and are still for sale, or are merely front ends which load a specific URL into the web browser without providing any additional functionality. Read the reviews to hunt these things down.
    Last edited by Old_Mil; 11-09-14 at 03:09 PM.
    11-09-14 02:28 PM
    brian levy "roaring with laughter" how boring must your life be if my trivial request amuses you so. I am not always at my desk, and often work in places without a phone signal. ok so far? i do not have to teach her how to use a telephone as she is 7 and has a full working knowledge of such "ancient devices". The 1st line in my original post explains my situation, offer something to assist or, to paraphrase politely, go away.
    02-15-15 11:40 AM
    The easiest and safest solution with a Playbook is: E-Mail.

If I were you, I would register a single e-mail account (e.g. Google).
    Then I would set-up this account on the Playbook and your Android.

It's a safe communication tool + parental control.

Posted via CB10
    James Clark1 likes this.
    02-15-15 04:24 PM