The worst/saddest part is, Amazon is tellin us, "go f yourselves, we dont want your money..." and by sideloading the kindle app and continuing to buy from amazon people are saying "Well we're STILL gonna give it to you so take THAT!"
    No. What is worse is what Kobo did. As Kindle was not available I got Kobo. Paid for multiple books and of course had quite a few of the freebies.... One day it just stopped working. Something to do with Kobo and Rim both changing software. For months I tried to get tech help or refund from Kobo.... All my emails went unanswered, and no refund. I say BOYCOTT KOBO. I much rather (and have already done so) sideload Kindle and support Amazon.
    02-24-12 12:00 PM
    Daang... Another elite military person in here, huh? This place is popular with the Special Forces guys.
    Well, we don't spend all our time in the field!
    02-24-12 12:04 PM
    You guys have to realize that Kindle makes a tablet that is DIRECT competition with The Playbook. It's the same reason we may never see cross platform BBM. Think of how kany people are in Best Buy asking the salesperson if the Playbook can read Kindle books. Inevitably, the salesperson will say no, but THIS one over here will read them. I mean the kindle cloud reader wont even work on the PB.

I gotta think that RIM secretly is loving the widespread sideloading phenomenon. If I was them I would secretly try to promote sideloading Android apps. It's like RIM is saying, look you don't even have to PORT your app, we have a virtual machine that will run it. If you don't take the time to convert your APKs to BARs (and remove references to Android as well as links to the Android Market, among a few other requirements), and get paid for them, people are going to use them anyway, for free! So if I was a developer and I knew that people were just sideloading an app that I could be getting paid for, I would try to get that app on App World as fast as possible!

Now, this doesn't necessarily apply to the Kindle app, as they make a competing hardware device, but it might. We all know that neither Amazon nor RIM is making dime of profit from their 7 inch tablets...
    02-24-12 12:11 PM
    No problems at all. Overdrive is a reader used to download library books.

A really goodbook reader app is "Book Reader"
    02-24-12 12:42 PM
    You guys have to realize that Kindle makes a tablet that is DIRECT competition with The Playbook. It's the same reason we may never see cross platform BBM. Think of how kany people are in Best Buy asking the salesperson if the Playbook can read Kindle books. Inevitably, the salesperson will say no, but THIS one over here will read them. I mean the kindle cloud reader wont even work on the PB.

I gotta think that RIM secretly is loving the widespread sideloading phenomenon. If I was them I would secretly try to promote sideloading Android apps. It's like RIM is saying, look you don't even have to PORT your app, we have a virtual machine that will run it. If you don't take the time to convert your APKs to BARs (and remove references to Android as well as links to the Android Market, among a few other requirements), and get paid for them, people are going to use them anyway, for free! So if I was a developer and I knew that people were just sideloading an app that I could be getting paid for, I would try to get that app on App World as fast as possible!

Now, this doesn't necessarily apply to the Kindle app, as they make a competing hardware device, but it might. We all know that neither Amazon nor RIM is making dime of profit from their 7 inch tablets...
    I see your point, but, as seen here, Amazon has developed Kindle for iPad, which also competes with the Kindle Fire. And what about other Android tablets that compete with the Fire? Amazon will still make money from book sales, and that's really where the money is at.
    02-24-12 12:43 PM
    Saw it yesterday but cannot find it now.
    I downloaded the Android YouVersion Bible app (LifeChurch.tv) on Wednesday. When I looked for it today it was not there, I'm not sure what happened. It's still active on my PlayBook. I would suggest going to the site and see if it can be done from there
    02-24-12 12:50 PM
    I see your point, but, as seen here, Amazon has developed Kindle for iPad, which also competes with the Kindle Fire. And what about other Android tablets that compete with the Fire? Amazon will still make money from book sales, and that's really where the money is at.
    i THINK (and i may be wrong) the difference is that the apple and android apps were around before Amazon decided to make a tablet
    02-24-12 12:53 PM
    i THINK (and i may be wrong) the difference is that the apple and android apps were around before Amazon decided to make a tablet
    That doesn't matter. Amazon's business model on the Fire is content sales. Provide the portal to their services, and people will pay for those services. While they have more control on the Fire and obviously can better direct people to use their services exclusively, I see no reason why Amazon wouldn't want to expand their customer base by providing an application for the PlayBook.

Pulling support for iOS or Android would probably result in a loss of customers, but not supporting PlayBook OS is stopping them from getting those customers in the first place. As a content provider, not supporting platforms just seems like a loss, no matter the timing.

Then again, if this was so clear cut, we'd probably see a Kindle app, but we don't. So maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.
    02-24-12 01:34 PM
    confession: im not really a ceo, so i dont know what im talkin about either
    02-24-12 01:45 PM
    You guys have to realize that Kindle makes a tablet that is DIRECT competition with The Playbook.
    I don't see ANY direct competition what so ever. It's going to work the same way everything works. People that are technologically stupid are going to buy the Kindle Fire, because it's a no brainer. It does exactly what they want. It's pretty and it's cheap.
    People that have some tech knowledge, or a family member or friend that is tech savy, are going to realize that for the same price as the Kindle fire. They can get a 16GB Playbook, first double the size. 2 Cameras, 1080p HD Video, GPS, and an interface that doesn't look like you are always reading a book. And still able to side load and run Android Apps. For those with brains there is absolutely NO direct competition the Playbook is the obvious choice. What is even more comical about the whole Kindle Fire vs Playbook. The Playbook even packed full of more goodness weighs LESS than the fire! So it makes for eaiser reading.
    02-25-12 06:18 AM
    Please change the title of the thread. This is a best side loaded thread.
    02-25-12 06:54 AM
    To sideload: http://crackberry.com/how-sideload-a...oid-app-player I've enjoyed the Kindle app so far. The one think I really prefer over Kobo is the dictionary feature. You just press and hold over a word and you get the definition. Comes in handy when you're reading the older classics that use vernacular I'm not familiar with (and which are largely free ).
    speedypear and That70sGAdawg like this.
    02-25-12 04:33 PM
    Please change the title of the thread. This is a best side loaded thread.
    Really. Get back on topic people. New postings of new added Android apps available IN the BB App store please. The rest is wasting time for folks looking for what the title suggest.
    02-25-12 08:08 PM
    I ported STEALTH CHOPPER 3D. I don't know how well it runs since I have not received my free playbook yet.
    02-28-12 02:44 PM
    Viewranger is an excellent mapping application thats just been ported over. The reviews on their website say it all (viewranger.com). Check it out....need to download and/or buy maps but well worth it
    02-28-12 03:04 PM
    Wordhero.

Free, fun, and you can put "Playbook" in your tagline and compete against Android-using numbskulls.

Free WordHero - Download WordHero - Free Games from BlackBerry App World
    02-28-12 04:29 PM
    That is what's so frustrating about you people here it was asked if several useful apps have been tried and you only make it a point to Point out this is the best apps forum. Get a clue will ya or get some sense you all want to go back and forth on readers, jeez its petty in here
    03-14-12 07:41 PM
92 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD