Calculate by QxMD is awesome.
    02-24-12 12:00 AM
    A newbie here, so please excuse my naivete. How do you sideload android apps? Do you have to jailbreak the PB? I would like to get kindle etc. on my PB.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...wesome-701908/
    mandir75 likes this.
    02-24-12 12:03 AM
    Amongst the thousand of new Android apps, the majority are awful anyway, we need the major Apps that every platform has. That said Taptu is one of the better available apps ported over, it's a social news reader, you can even add your Facebook and twitter accounts. From the streams you add you can share via Facebook, twitter, Linkedin and email. Pool break lite is a great example of a rich graphics 3D game. I think RIM is going in the right direction, but needs to get a lot better especially if they want to win over new customers, I am not such an app person so it suits me fine, but if they want to be up with the big guys they need to offer more and at least all the major apps. I don't understand why developers don't want to make apps for the PB, surely more platforms they have their apps on the better it is for them, perhaps not though in this case.
    02-24-12 12:28 AM
    No Kindle, Kobo doesn't sideload PDFs. We are stuck with that awful PDF reader from Adobe. Doesn't have search, bookmarks or annotations. Hello RIM. Wakey-wakey!
    check out jotsy. functionality is superb. the file transfer is a bit hassle though.
    02-24-12 12:51 AM
    Catch is a great note taking app.
    02-24-12 01:45 AM
    InstaFetch for Instapaper. Works nicely, though it took a while for the initial sync - it downloads for offline. Much better than Laterpaper which is a native app.
    02-24-12 01:50 AM
    In the order of functionality for me:
    1. Bible by LifeChurch TV
    2. Dolphin (love the gesture)
    3. Taptu (quite useful, although Pulse is a better one but not in the AppWorld yet)
    02-24-12 02:34 AM
    Hi,

You can find a list of android apps available for Playbook at this address:
    Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android App Store - We support Kobo Vox, Kindle Fire and More

Enjoy
    4wheel and matturbanowicz like this.
    02-24-12 03:16 AM
    To find an answer just use search feature. How to sideload apps? Just search for sideload apps.

Crackberry's search feature is totally amazing!
    02-24-12 03:16 AM
    The Android version of YouVersion Bible app is working.....confirmed
    Saw it yesterday but cannot find it now.
    02-24-12 03:18 AM
    The apps i have downloaded so far haven't worked. I tap on their icons and nothing happens.
    Same thing for me. I Feel left out.
    02-24-12 04:00 AM
    02-24-12 04:05 AM
    it's in the app world just search for "Bible" you will find it.
    It's one of the best Bible apps out there. I also like touch Bible loaded. but it's not out there yet.

Edit. I just tried to find it but you're right it's not there. I got it Tuesday but it seems to be gone now. It's called Bible by LifeChurch.TV but it's not it the appworld.
    Yes I can confirm it was there Tuesday but it is not there now.
    02-24-12 04:06 AM
    Same thing for me. I Feel left out.
    go to my mediafire account, and click on APPS and then on ANDROID APP LAUCHERS. SIDELOAD THE BAR and click on it ; all the android apps will launch now

Jeroen
    Cynamonne likes this.
    02-24-12 04:08 AM
    chi-town311,

Have you used Kobo for reading a book? It really is pretty bad in comparison. PlayEpub is excellent. Give it a shot and then come back and tell me Kobo is a good book reader. Granted, you can go buy books with Kobo and Kobo does have an extensive book store, but it really does stop right about there.
    Daang... Another elite military person in here, huh? This place is popular with the Special Forces guys.
    02-24-12 05:10 AM
    The books are consistently more expensive than kindle, the browse books is terrible, no related title suggestions and a library that can't. Hold a candle to Kindle.
    02-24-12 08:26 AM
    A newbie here, so please excuse my naivete. How do you sideload android apps? Do you have to jailbreak the PB? I would like to get kindle etc. on my PB.
    I believe the how too is still on the front page of crackberry, or click on the PB apps section of the forum.
    02-24-12 09:28 AM
    What about words with friends? Is it available yet for playbook?
    Words with Friends is not yet available in App World, however I've sideloaded the .bar and can confirm it works quite well. Even gives a ! in the notification bar for when a new move was made by your opponent. My sister keeps kicking my arse...
    02-24-12 09:38 AM
    Yes, you can read a book with Kobo. However, you can NOT read your existing books/epubs. THAT is the big problem with Kobo. I do not want to have to have different readers just because I bought a book somewhere else.

I've used Book Reader - and I realize that there are some things that you cannot do with Kobo, like highlight, annotate, etc. I never used those things though, so I could care less. All I'm saying really is that Kobo has the most integrated Book experience on the BlackBerry PlayBook and it works fine. Is it perfect, no. But not many things on the PlayBook are perfect. They are supporting the PlayBook more than any other Book Platform. I say we all tell Amazon to F-off; they just started blocking streaming for amazon Prime accounts. Why buy a book from them if it is available fro Kobo? Amazon has clearly decided that they are not interested in supporting the PlayBook.
    Graheem likes this.
    02-24-12 09:39 AM
    Words with Friends is not yet available in App World, however I've sideloaded the .bar and can confirm it works quite well. Even gives a ! in the notification bar for when a new move was made by your opponent. My sister keeps kicking my arse...
    Working BAR file is attached here;
    02-24-12 09:48 AM
    Yes, you can read a book with Kobo. However, you can NOT read your existing books/epubs. THAT is the big problem with Kobo. I do not want to have to have different readers just because I bought a book somewhere else.
    You can load existing epubs onto a Kobo - I do it frequently - Plug it into your computer and drag and drop, or you can use Calibre or Adobe Digital Editions to do it with free software. Either way, it is possible and easy.
    02-24-12 10:02 AM
    Why does Kobo suck? It displays books and has a decent-sized library. Are you looking for the words to jump off the page and give you a back massage or something?
    Kobo SUCKS because you are FORCED to purchase books, you can`t load your own downloaded books. Which you can do on Kindle. That alone is enough for me to delete Kobo and have nothing to do with it. I have never bought a book in my life, and I am not about to start doing so because Kobo forces me to!
    02-24-12 10:05 AM
    I've used Book Reader - and I realize that there are some things that you cannot do with Kobo, like highlight, annotate, etc. I never used those things though, so I could care less. All I'm saying really is that Kobo has the most integrated Book experience on the BlackBerry PlayBook and it works fine. Is it perfect, no. But not many things on the PlayBook are perfect. They are supporting the PlayBook more than any other Book Platform. I say we all tell Amazon to F-off; they just started blocking streaming for amazon Prime accounts. Why buy a book from them if it is available fro Kobo? Amazon has clearly decided that they are not interested in supporting the PlayBook.
    The worst/saddest part is, Amazon is tellin us, "go f yourselves, we dont want your money..." and by sideloading the kindle app and continuing to buy from amazon people are saying "Well we're STILL gonna give it to you so take THAT!"
    02-24-12 10:27 AM
    How do you side load? is there a good free texting app for playbook like Text Free or Text now ?
    You could just send an email through the recipient's carrier's SMS Gateway (Wikipedia list here). Might add their SMS Gateway address to their contact info so that you can send from the contact list like any other email.
    02-24-12 10:29 AM
    On the beta OS2, it worked better, while on .7971, there are things in the game it CANNOT DO. Specifically, anything that creates a new window, like playing a blank or swapping tiles. On the beta OS, if you did either of those things, you had about a 30% chance of it succeeding without locking up -- and the other 70% of the time you would usually have to reboot the PB due to the system- and application persistence apparent in the Android subsystem. (And the times it dd work, it was slo-o-o-o-o-ow!) On the general-availability release of OS2, these new windows will -- for me, anyway -- lock up immediately 100% of the time. (Of course, as Murphy wold have it, the very first game I played after upgrading to .7971, I drew two blanks on the initial tile draw.)

I play this with my girl a lot, so due to this issue, I actually created a Facebook account yesterday so that I can log into it from the browser in order to play blanks. I don't count this as breaking my anti-Facebook stance, however, because I locked down FB security so that I'm undiscoverable, used a random name, and didn't tell anyone, including my girl, what that name is.
    reasondog likes this.
    02-24-12 11:49 AM
92 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD