I just got the charging dock for my playbook and have also the free bedbuzz app. I was excited to get the dock as I wanted to have the clock displayed as it was getting charged like it does with my Blackberry Torch but a couple mins later after the Playbook is on the dock the light dims and goes to sleep shutting off the screen. I was reading reviews on these apps and from some people it does seem to work as the screen stays on while it is being charged but I'm wondering if it's only the paid app that works like that. Does anyone have a clock/alarm app that has a bedside mode with it? I want to use the dock to its full potential!
    12-27-11 11:11 PM
    I don't have it myself, but From what I hear from other posters... put your PB in Showcase mode and it should stay on with the alarm clock....
    Cog Wheel/General/Application Behavior ...drop down box ... tap Showcase ..... try it and post back
    Last edited by jafobabe; 12-27-11 at 11:22 PM.
    12-27-11 11:17 PM
    Or try a free app called "Todays Alarm Clock", which has the option within its own app settings to have the time display "always on". This overrides the system's display timeout settings when the app is running.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-28-11 01:17 AM
    Todays alarm clock is good and so is "antair nightstand". I am currently use the antair ap but both will do what you want.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-28-11 01:33 AM
    i haven't tried the setting but the app "todays alarm clock" has an "always on" setting. the app is free and it has become my new alarm clock!
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-28-11 05:28 AM
    i have the free one and it works perfectly with my screen staying on while posted up in my otterbox in its stand on the standard charger. This will probably be my first paid app i actually find running pandora in the browser in the background great as the bed buzz app keeps pandora running (short of the are you still listening part )
    12-28-11 07:13 AM
    Todays alarm clock is good and so is "antair nightstand". I am currently use the antair ap but both will do what you want.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the "antair nightstand"! I believe I stumbled upon this a while back before I got a PlayBook, but ever since getting one it totally slipped my mind. Tried "Todays Alarm Clock" and it's good for its price, but I have to say it looks really ugly!
    12-28-11 08:40 AM
    Stupid question alert!

I don't necessarily need an alarm clock on a daily basis but would love to see the time displayed while the PB is on the rapid charging dock. Can any/all of these apps simply display the time without having an alarm set?

Thanks
    12-28-11 08:50 AM
    Try using the free app, FlipClock. It's the best looking one I've seen. No alarm options in the app itself, but you can always set the PB's built-in alarm and just show this clock as a time keeper. Keeps the screen on as well.
    12-28-11 09:02 AM
    Okay ... I must be missing something basic. I downloaded the Today Alarm app, set the behaviour to "Showcase", had the Today Alarm running full screen and put my PB in the charging pod. Ten minutes later "Standby" took over and screen went black.

What am I doing wrong?
    12-28-11 10:54 AM
    I don't have it myself, but From what I hear from other posters... put your PB in Showcase mode and it should stay on with the alarm clock....
    Cog Wheel/General/Application Behavior ...drop down box ... tap Showcase ..... try it and post back
    i just put it in showcase mode and it still blacks out after a while.
    12-28-11 02:03 PM
    FlipClock is great for free if you don't need an integrated alarm. Antair nightstand is my vote for a well featured alarm clock, and features nicely animated clocks.
    jafobabe and vgwillm like this.
    12-28-11 02:14 PM
    i just put it in showcase mode and it still blacks out after a while.
    Sorry for my post... I was unaware.

I have just downloaded the Antair Nighstand, per the other posters recommendations.
    vgwillm likes this.
    12-28-11 02:24 PM
    Does the Antair nightstand not timeout after a while though? What's the point of having a clock app if you can't see what time it is after 5 mins.
    12-28-11 02:31 PM
    The Antair Nightstand works! It overrides the standby option.
    tappi likes this.
    12-28-11 02:59 PM
    The Antair Nightstand works! It overrides the standby option.
    Yay! and also in the "Talk Clock" description it also says "Option to keep 'awake' the device" so i think Talk Clock works too. If anyone has that and can confirm that would be great too! So i guess i'll decide which one of those two to get.
    12-28-11 03:09 PM
    I just downloaded Antair Nightstand based on this thread alone.

Its very nice and will be using it regularly.
    Can confirm it overrides the standby option and my PB is not in showcase mode.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-28-11 03:29 PM
    Son of a gun! The PB doesn't need to be in Showcase mode for this to work! Thanks morph_ca for that tidbit!

Now is there a benefit to not having to be in Showcase mode? Does Showcase use more battery power? I use this app when my PB is in the charging dock but it would be nice to know ... just in case.
    12-28-11 04:52 PM
    Stupid question alert!

I don't necessarily need an alarm clock on a daily basis but would love to see the time displayed while the PB is on the rapid charging dock. Can any/all of these apps simply display the time without having an alarm set?

Thanks
    Yes, but the coolest and one I get the most comments on at work is the Binary Clock app. I love it! People can't stay away from it and you can change the displays too. No alarm.
    hpjrt likes this.
    12-28-11 05:38 PM
    I just downloaded Antair Nightstand based on this thread alone.
    So did I. It's exactly what I wanted.
    vgwillm likes this.
    12-28-11 06:57 PM
    Jax...it does not go to sleep. It will stay active.
    12-29-11 12:24 AM
    i hope i am wrong but Ifind a problem with all the alarm apps i have tried Unless the app is active as your PB goes into standby mode they will not sound The alarm in the basic clock app will sound even if it is not active Am i correct? Is there a work around? is there any way to set certain apps to launch any time the pb comes out of standby or restart?
    12-29-11 05:29 AM
    I use Today's Alarm Clock as my sole alarm to wake me up in the morning. I have a second rapid charger dock at work and I use the app there as a simple clock.

I grew up with the 'Old Style Split-Panels' type clocks so I love the clock display. If I could just get it to make that old 'clicky' noise when the time changes...

Tap on the fullscreen clock to open the 'detailed' version. Click on Settings and select 'Time Display Mode ALWAYS ON'.

I love that it tells me the current time and weather after I turn the ringing alarm off. btw, the alarm only works if an alarm is set (d'oh) and multiple alarms (recurring and one time) can be set.

No I have no vested interest in this app. I just find it to be incredibly good and reliable at what it does.

(ps. I have not tried the streaming radio or traffic outlook functions of the clock yet)

edit - oh, and it is FREE too!
    Last edited by BlueRocks; 12-29-11 at 07:04 AM. Reason: add important detail
    12-29-11 06:54 AM
    Okay ... I must be missing something basic. I downloaded the Today Alarm app, set the behaviour to "Showcase", had the Today Alarm running full screen and put my PB in the charging pod. Ten minutes later "Standby" took over and screen went black.

What am I doing wrong?
    don't need to put it in showcase mode.

go to settings and there's a checkbox on the bottom right-hand corner "time display mode always on"
    12-29-11 06:54 AM
    don't need to put it in showcase mode.

go to settings and there's a checkbox on the bottom right-hand corner "time display mode always on"
    Thanks!! I had originally posted the Showcase mode in error.

Glad you clarified that again.
    12-29-11 06:59 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD