since doing a fresh install of the latest os 1.05, slacker radio and the podcast app are nowhere to be found on my PB, they don't show up in app world as uninstalled apps even worse app world can't find them when I tried searching for them. I bought my PB in the states but currently living in the dominican republic and since the blackberry podcast app on my phone doesn't work because of my current location I'm assuming it's the same deal with this two apps as well. Is there any logic to my theory?

ps: I had them both installed on my pb with the previous version of the OS (1.03), never tried the slacker radio app because I don't have an account but I did use a couple of times the podcast app to download crackberry podcasts and it worked. I'm guessing since rim's about to roll the pb out on other countries that they're already limiting access to some apps outside of the US and Canada like they always have.
    06-12-11 09:44 AM
    Did you do a security wipe or a debrick to get the new OS?

I noticed that with debrick and possibly a security wipe, the PlayBook loads the new OS, and after the reboot you then get the normal setup screens to put in your BlackberryID and country selection. After this it then downloads another smaller file, in my case 27mb, which I assume is the country specific files. I am in Canada. I don't know if it uses your BlackberryID or the country you select at install or your IP address to figure out what to package you get for the second smaller update.

Not only is Rim very good at security, but I am guessing they also worry about intellectual property rights and may be limiting the applications loaded in your country depending on whether the applications are licensed for your country. They are probably doing this to protect themselves from lawsuits or complaints regarding exporting software into countries where it should not be used.

Robert
    Last edited by robsteve; 06-13-11 at 09:33 AM.
    06-13-11 09:28 AM
    Did you do a security wipe or a debrick to get the new OS?

I noticed that with debrick and possibly a security wipe, the PlayBook loads the new OS, and after the reboot you then get the normal setup screens to put in your BlackberryID and country selection. After this it then downloads another smaller file, in my case 27mb, which I assume is the country specific files. I am in Canada. I don't know if it uses your BlackberryID or the country you select at install or your IP address to figure out what to package you get for the second smaller update.

Not only is Rim very good at security, but I am guessing they also worry about intellectual property rights and may be limiting the applications loaded in your country depending on whether the applications are licensed for your country. They are probably doing this to protect themselves from lawsuits or complaints regarding exporting software into countries where it should not be used.

Robert
    I did a security wipe, it then took me thru the initial setup again but the only that was downloaded was the latest os release. What I can't honestly remember is if my country was an option on the drop down menu. I would guess RIM use the ip address to determine my location and push the right package to me, but all this only makes sense if we are right about the right package for ones location if not I'm missing a few apps that I would like to have back on my pb and don't know how to get them back.
    ps: found out music store app is missing as well.
    06-14-11 09:19 AM
    It would be extremely limiting if someone were overseas with their US PB and it could only be re-installed to a limited OS.

Obviously, there might be limitations on what certain apps can do if "stores/purchases" were involved but still....
    06-14-11 11:10 AM
    Yep, same here.
    Losing Slacker, Podcast (never knew there was one), and 7 Digital Music Store.
    I think since now PB is going out to other country as well, they started removing apps that was not actually available in some country.
    Hate this discrimination! LOL
    06-14-11 01:27 PM
    I suspect it is related to the BlackberryID registration, otherwise as mentioned by F2 it may be problematic when used in a business situation where travel is involved. You may still have to be in a country where the appWorld is available for the Playbook.

Robert
    RealSC likes this.
    06-14-11 02:08 PM
    It seems we are all in the same boat... I bought a couple of songs 10 days ago, and everything worked fine... last tuesday I had to security wipe my PB, and today, I just remembered a song I wanted, but for my surprise, the music store App, and the others you guys mentioned above are missing... yeah... sometimes it sucks living outside US...
    07-31-11 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD