Just noticed that a Android based BBC News app just showed up in App World.. Thought that was interesting since most of the other Android apps I've seen in App World have been a lot of junk. Thought someone else might find it interesting as well..

Also, it seems to force itself into a single orientation.. If I flip my Playbook over for charging in my Otterbox, with the USB and HDMI ports facing upward, the BBC News app stays upside down, even though the rest of my OS reorients itself properly..

Weird!
    01-04-12 03:24 PM
    Just noticed that. Seems like handster submitted a tonne of Android apps to the store.
    01-04-12 06:47 PM
    hi i tried to search for bbc but found no new app. how did you find it? thanks
    01-04-12 08:14 PM
    hi i tried to search for bbc but found no new app. how did you find it? thanks
    Are you running OSv2 dev beta? If not, I don't think you'll see them since your PB OS version isn't Android capable..

You will see it after OSv2 is officially released next month, if you upgrade then..
    01-04-12 08:30 PM
    Thanks for posting this Mojoski.

I gave this app a test drive and found that it worked okay but think that I like using the website better. Apps like this have a place on my phone but I just don't see the point on the larger PB screen. I kept wanting to close the app and open the PB browser so I would be able to move around the site and flip back and forth between several other open newspapers.

This is the first time I have used the Android Player successfully, previous attempts having failed. I had previously installed Overdrive but could not get it to load (and I couldn't be bothered troubleshooting, thinking that it may involve a security wipe). On a whim, I tried Overdrive again after using BBC and it worked. It'll serve adequately until a native version is available even if the native app is not free. I tried Android Evernote as well but I think I'm going to stick with the PB version despite it's being a work in progress at this time.

On the whole, I am underwhelmed by my first glimpse at the player - both as a consumer and as a developer. I am glad I did not try to make an end run around RIM's delay in releasing the Magnetometer API. I was seriously thinking of converting What's up to Android so I could expedite "point and view" but I am glad that I didn't. Apps running in the player seem awkward (at least the version now available in the beta OS) and do not compare favourably at all with apps running in the native space.
    01-04-12 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD