I'd decided to watch a TV show I downloaded (I know, I know, my bad... I missed it and didn't record it). So using Orb, I streamed it to my Playbook.

Before the show, my battery was at 78%. After the show, it was down to 67%. So, quick math, 11% for 44 minutes turns out to be 6 hours and 40 minutes of run time.

Not too bad considering autodim was turned off for the duration of the show so the screen was really bright, volume was at max, Bluetooth to my Torch was on and Wifi to my router was also on and since I was streaming, it was constantly talking/receiving to/from my router.

Just thought I would share.
    04-25-11 11:34 PM
    Yea flash gets pretty darn good battery life. Jobs was wrong on so many subjects... Oh well off to watch more flash videos on my very close to full battery.
    04-25-11 11:36 PM
    I've actually done some benchmark tests between HTML5 Canvas Animations and Flash on a few Android devices (EVO 4G notably) and a pre-production WebOS 2.0 device for my employer. The detailed results are under NDA, but I can say this:

I took the EXACT SAME 45 SECONDS LOOPING ANIMATION, made a version in Canvas2D/HTML5 and another in Flash. The two versions were pixel perfect. I rigged the phones so that the backlight never expired. Then, on full charge, compared the time the battery took to drain.

Each animation version went through 6 battery cycles on each device in order to average out the results per device.

On every single device, the device lasted longer using the Flash animation versus the Canvas2D version. Let me restate that: Flash had less of a battery drain than the equivalent animation using HTML5 technologies. I'm not talking mere minutes either. Close to an hour difference on the EVO.

The answer as to why is pretty simple. Flash, when publishing to a SWF file, does most of the optimization for you and pre-compiles paths and vectors required for the animation. However, all that optimization and caching is left to the developer to do on the HTML5/Canvas2D side. Even with the manual optimizations in, the Flash version performed better than the Canvas2D version.
    04-25-11 11:44 PM
    This should be logical. Byte code is "precompiled" and really only needs some code to be tacked on and then interpreting it is very fast. Html5 has to be parsed and the human readable language is interpreted. It could be much more efficient if there was a JIT type thing put into use but as of right now everyone knows BASIC is slower than Java, just as html5 is slower than flash. Correct me if im wrong but I am pretty sure a .swf is byte code....
    04-26-11 12:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD