09-09-11 12:43 PM
34 12
    Maybe you can share some weekend sales numbers with us?
    09-05-11 04:58 PM
    Peter, maybe you could provide some training for all of us non-technical buyers that help us to better understand the features of your application. I purchased this after reading the comments by others here but for me I fully do not understand what advantages this allows me beyond the normal % left that I could see in the PB meter without having to purchase this app. I bought it initially because i wanted to see what the health of my meter and the recommendations of CB members.
    09-05-11 06:59 PM
    @rcab, there's a link in the top-swipe menu (where you swipe down from the top bezel region and into the visible screen area) that leads to a web site with further information. If you go there, and click "Read More..." in the description of Battery Guru, you'll see some introductory material like that.

Is that useful info for a start? I could write more here (or a new thread, probably) but I don't want to repeat myself unnecessarily, so if you have a specific question, or if you don't think that answers the "what advantages over %" question well enough, let me know and I'll come up with something else.
    09-05-11 07:30 PM
    Follow up to my earlier post, AppWorld has refunded me the over charge for the app when it was being offered at half price. It was not the money but the fact I did not want AppWorld to keep the $1 and not pass it on to Peter. It took a couple emails but finally it has been settled.
    09-07-11 03:02 PM
    I've asked this in another thread but since I have RE-discovered the issue/question using Battery Guru, I figured I'd ask and expert.

The original question was: Rapid (not dock) charger question - can the plug be oriented either way? That is wire coming from either the left or right? Maybe the otterbox interferes with the attachment if the wire comes from the right. Although, I notice one pin seems a bit depressed (it, too, is waiting for auto-correct (g))

The new follow up question is:

I will bump this thread up and ask my question again (see post above this one) although it may not make any difference as I've started an rma on the rapid charger (NOT dock) adapter.

I had previously noticed that the pin closest to where the wire enters the magnetic plug was slightly recessed. I had also noticed that when the WIRE was coming from the left all was okay.

But when the wire was coming from the right, that while the LIGHTNING BOLT would show over the battery icon, the pb did not appear to charge.

I don't know about the internal circuitry so I don't know why the BOLT shows but no charging occurs. But I suspected the slightly recessed pin does not make contact as it should. I tried prodding it today but it never extended up or out to the level of the other two pins.

It would be nice if they sent a rapid charger to me while this one wends its way back to Rim. I am supposedly to be contacted by the rma department.

We shall see.

I noticed as I was retesting the magnetic plug that Battery Guru (BG) showed battery percent still dropping but the lightning bolt was showing. I reversed the plug and percentage almost immediately showed it was increasing. I admit I know little about the electronics of this. But was it the one less pin making good contact or???
    09-07-11 08:20 PM
    @F2, unfortunately I don't have that rapid charger (yet), only the "cradle" one, and it's not reversible in any way. Makes it hard to help you with that.

It's quite possible (without knowing more about it) that the plug can be oriented either way, but it's equally possible it cannot. If they have not "keyed" the connector, preventing it from being plugged in a certain way, I think it's safe to assume it CAN be used either way, and should work the same either way.

I believe all the rapid chargers (those that use the dedicated charging port on the PlayBook) probably suffer right now from the same poor design or production. It seems the way they designed (or are building) the connector results in some of the pins not making good contact all the time, presumably from something like a hidden spring underneath not being strong enough, or the walls of the cavity around the ping rubbing against it, or whatever.

I've had a theory about the situation where the lightning bolt shows but no charging occurs, but I'm not sure it's compatible with having a "reversible" connector. In case it is, here goes: the connector has three pins, which would (under my theory) be power (e.g. 12V), ground (0V), and a communications pin for the PlayBook to talk to a microcontroller in the rapid charger. (I don't even know for sure they talk... this is just a theory remember.) If the ground and communications pin made contact, the two devices may be in contact and that alone may be enough for the lightning bolt to appear. If the power pin doesn't make contact, however, then it may still not be able to charge. I'd call this a bug (software design flaw) if true, since it means users would be tricked into thinking it was charging when it wasn't, if not all three pins made contact.

Can you explain which way the plug was oriented when you got it actually to charge, in your final paragraph? If we can document that some people can charge with it one way, others with it the other way, then we can at least advise people that it is reversible and they should try it both ways.

I may need to go out and buy the same rapid charger to learn more... I'd crack open the cradle to trace it out, but I use it daily and don't want to risk destroying it.
    09-08-11 06:10 AM
    Pins on the rapid port are 12V / GND / 12V, so it can be plugged in either direction. You can take a multimeter between the pins and check the voltage being supplied. All the charge controlling circuitry is contained in the PB for the 5V and 12V inputs.

Also, I'll add that a magnetic charging port would be a nightmare if it was unidirectional.
    09-08-11 08:47 AM
    Actually, the plug HAS TO BE AMBIDEXTROUS. It not, the wire lead would block access to the other ports when it comes off to the left. In the following photos you can see it attached from the left (wire goes left) or the right (wire goes right). In my unit, the "recessed" pin is the the one closest to the WIRE LEAD. They are spring loaded and something prevents it from popping up - whether a weak spring or a flaw in its channel preventing it from popping up/out.

I will also say that the Otterbox case does probably prevent full/flush contact when the wire runs to the right. But, as noted, the pin is recessed AND while possibly not making full contact, the LIGHTNING BOLT (charge indicator) shows but it does not charge.
    09-08-11 09:16 AM
    Just a follow up. While rim did issue and rma and actually got a charger to me already today - it was the normal charger and not the defective Rapid Charger. They are now working on what to do - do I have to send them the wrong charger so that they can send me the correct rapid charger.

They are fast but it was not effective at this moment.
    09-09-11 12:43 PM
34 12