09-09-11 01:43 PM
34 12
tools
    The 5-star Battery Guru app from Engenuity Corporation has been out for almost two months now, helping people learn more about their PlayBook's power consumption, solve charging problems, and optimize their battery life.

As of today, and until the end of the weekend, the price is now only 0.99!

Unlike all the "toy" battery apps for the PlayBook which merely show a fancy level indicator, Battery Guru digs deeper and gets real, hard data from the operating system.

It displays actual battery voltage, number of recharge cycles, and "health" (an indicator of the maximum capacity of your battery relative to the manufacturer's specifications).

It also shows current power consumption (in watts) when using the tablet, and charging power when charging.

A graph shows the last 10 hours of battery level (%) and power (W), and all data is recorded for export in a CSV file for offline analysis, including system temperature. All data is reported exactly as the OS reports it (regular readings every two minutes, and more often when charging).

If you have charging problems, Battery Guru may be able to help. If you want to learn how to increase your battery life, by seeing what effect various types of use, settings, or other applications have on the battery, Battery Guru is for you!

Get it from App World today, before the price goes back up! For more information, you can read some background info here.
    09-02-11 03:35 PM
    bought for .99 but billed full price ln credit card.
    09-02-11 04:29 PM
    @rcab, that's not something I control, unfortunately... App World is clearly buggy in some cases.

Please contact appworldbilling@rim.com to report the problem and request assistance. I expect you'd need to include a transaction number, and if I were doing it I'd include my BBID and the approximate time I made the purchase.
    09-02-11 04:33 PM
    @rcab, that's not something I control, unfortunately... App World is clearly buggy in some cases.

Please contact appworldbilling@rim.com to report the problem and request assistance. I expect you'd need to include a transaction number, and if I were doing it I'd include my BBID and the approximate time I made the purchase.
    Thanks for the quick response. I have sent off email to them requesting a credit for the overcharge.
    09-02-11 05:04 PM
    Nice find, thank you for posting
    09-02-11 05:28 PM
    @PB-Otaku, I thought my post read enough like "marketing copy" that this would have been obvious, but I am the author. :-)
    09-02-11 05:42 PM
    I think I will hold off thinking about it until the billing seems accurate.
    09-02-11 05:48 PM
    When I click Buy, the price says: 1.73€, tax .026€, total 1.99€ ... I cancelled :-D

Update: worked on sunday, price was modified in appworld, thanks, I'm also in
    Last edited by Marcel38; 09-04-11 at 10:47 AM.
    09-02-11 05:53 PM
    RIM runs App World, currently, over a number of different servers, and updates to those servers are unfortunately not synchronized. It seems to take up to about 24 hours for changes to propagate through in some cases. (Fixing that is something they've promised to do in the relatively near future, probably this fall.)

Please check the price in the final dialog before purchasing (just before you click Buy Now) and, if it's not the lower price, hold off until you can check again later.

I'm leaving it on sale until Sunday night in any case, so you can take your time, but the same thing will likely happen when I restore the price, where some people will see it go back up before others.
    09-02-11 06:03 PM
    But they won't mind ;-)
    09-02-11 06:25 PM
    No, the purchaser at sale price won't mind, but there's always someone who comes along a moment too late and has to pay the higher price. Best not to leave it until Sunday night then.
    09-02-11 06:30 PM
    The extra dollar is not a big deal, it is the fact that RIM can not get their billing process updated. On appworld shows lower price but then when purchased it shows higher price. When i clicked it then I thought there would be another screen to confirm but instead it went straight to download, so i did not get chance to cancel when i thought I still had a step where that was possible
    09-02-11 07:54 PM
    This app is great! Worth $1.99 - excellent deal at $0.99!
    09-02-11 08:37 PM
    By the way, for all those who've purchased during the sale (and there are many.. thank you!), and those from earlier, consider taking a moment to add to this thread to contribute to the "community knowledge-base" about battery health.

Someone (not me) started that thread to let people report on your battery "health" (that's not the same as "level"), along with number of recharge cycles, age of PlayBook, and type of charger generally used. The more such info we have access to, the better everyone will understand their tablets and be able to get effective use from them.
    09-03-11 12:39 PM
    I'm not one to watch my battery life like a hawk, but it is nice to know how quickly I'm chewing through it. Besides all of that, support this guy everyone! Peter is a very upstanding developer and is very active in the development forums helping others out. That alone is an excellent reason to throw him a bone and give his application some purchasing support.

I'll grab it today, hopefully all of AW's servers have synced up by now. Thanks again for the discount on the app Peter!
    09-03-11 01:58 PM
    Thanks for this. I'm in.
    09-03-11 07:19 PM
    i think its pretty much useless for me.its true you will know whats gonna be your battery usage but this app is not the gonna fix it if your battery drains fast.
    09-03-11 11:41 PM
    ... but this app is not the gonna fix it if your battery drains fast.
    Well, obviously not. There's no magic "decrease power consumption" button in it.

On the other hand, it certainly could help you with "draining fast".

If the cause of that is some defect in your system, it could help you pinpoint and document it, and arrange a repair or return or warranty support. At least two users have already done that.

If the cause is just the way you use the tablet, then it can help you learn more about how the tablet uses power, and help you adjust your style of use so you get more life out of the battery.

For example, most people think that running videos is the big "stress test" for battery life on tablets. That's not the case on the PlayBook... videos (at least fullscreen ones) use little additional power in many cases. Battery Guru can give you details that let you better understand how video resolution and format affect power consumption.
    09-04-11 10:18 AM
    Picked up my copy before the sale is over. Looks pretty nice so far and it's nice that you can dump the info to a CSV. The license key display worried me as I thought I'd need it to activate so I did a copy of the info. You can't copy from the dialog box that's displayed at first, but once you see it in the download list you can tap it there and get the key to copy.

Turns out you don't really need it, so maybe that will save someone 30 seconds of confusion.

Thanks for the sale!
    09-04-11 10:59 PM
    Yes, I should update the description to clarify that. It was done as an experiment, to help the developer community, because everything about license keys is yet another thing RIM has not documented at all for the PlayBook. What you see there with the initial dialog is something generated by the OS, outside of my control (as it's in the App World client). The wording there is silly, as it makes you think that may be your one and only chance to record the key. I really hope nobody actually wrote it down, and that all those who thought they had to capture it used the "screenshot" feature (Volume Up and Down pressed together), so that I didn't waste much of your time.

For any developers who are interested, my results are described here.
    09-04-11 11:19 PM
    i think its pretty much useless for me.its true you will know whats gonna be your battery usage but this app is not the gonna fix it if your battery drains fast.
    True but in my case my first PB had a chargeing/battery fault. I used the data generated from this app to prove there was a fault as it was intermittent. RIM sent me a new PB, which was made easy as I was able to explain to the tech guys exactly what my unit was doing, i.e. voltage fluctuating up & down and battery health reported from 81% - 98%.

Also sometimes I switch off bluetooth & wifi put it in standby and lose very little charge. Sometimes it will consume more power than it should, therefore time for a reboot.

This info is not available without this app. I keep it running all the time just for reference. Also the support from Peter is first class and he even produced a graph from my data that compared my tablet to a healthy one. It was clear that mine had a fault.
    09-05-11 07:20 AM
    Darn I missed out. It's a 3 day weekend in the US.
    09-05-11 04:57 PM
    I just put it back down to 0.99 for the rest of today. I'll put it back up Tuesday morning.

Because the description still reads "half price!" and the change-ticket to remove that text is still open and probably will be until they get to work Tuesday, I've put the price back down to 0.99.

I had not fully realized that the description and price changes are not synchronized. RIM really needs to fix this stuff! (I'm aware that major changes to the internal structure of App World are in the works, however, so this is expected "soon".)

There's a chance (as usual) that some servers will show 1.99 while others show 0.99, so please double-check the price in the dialog, before you hit "Buy Now", and make sure it's correct before clicking.
    09-05-11 05:10 PM
    Thanks Peter!

But I just checked and it is showing 1.99. I will keep checking throughout the day.
    09-05-11 05:13 PM
    Yes, that's to be expected.

Vendors have at least two things that constantly fight them in this area. There are multiple App World servers, and they are not synchronized well, so changes that show up on one server right away may take some time to show up on others.

The other thing is that almost no changes related to a given app are synchronized amongst themselves. We can post new releases for sale (after RIM approves them), and they are put into one queue (or whatever) where they show up more or less randomly on each server. We can change the price, and that change shows up in its own good time, independently of the releases. We can change the description, and once some human has reviewed and approved the text (lest we write "bum" and offend someone), it shows up, again on its own schedule and unsynchronized with the rest.

It means users are constantly seeing things like descriptions that have been updated to cover a new release, but the new release isn't showing. Or new releases without an updated description to cover them. Or people changing the description to say "Sale!" and the price lagging behind by hours, or what's happened here where I changed the price and description, but of course since it's a holiday there's nobody reviewing the description to approve it, so the price change went through (while the text still says "sale") and now may take an hour to change back.

Sigh...

That rant said, I want to thank everyone who has purchased this weekend, and those who left reviews, and those who've made such kind comments here about me or the app!

I appreciate all constructive feedback... and believe me, the money vendors are making from these apps right now does not even remotely begin to pay for the time it takes to create or support them, so the feedback is very good to have.
    09-05-11 05:32 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD