I noticed the very bad quality of the screenshots in App World.
    The apps look quite grainly or blurry if you believe the screenshots shown in the store.
    I'll take example of the game Diversion: the sample pictures are ugly, but the game itself is really crispy clear, high definition.

Not the best way to advertise...
    Last edited by Denus; 03-19-12 at 05:18 PM.
    kbz1960 and danielbigham like this.
    03-19-12 02:32 PM
    I noticed the very bad quality of the screenshots in Apple World.
    I take it this was a Freudian slip......

You are correct, the screenshots are rubbish - complain to RIM!
    wbbady likes this.
    03-19-12 02:58 PM
    I noticed the very bad quality of the screenshots in Apple World.
    The apps look quite grainly or blurry if you believe the screenshots shown in the store.
    I'll take example of the game Diversion: the sample pictures are ugly, but the game itself is really crispy clear, high definition.

Not the best way to advertise...
    Most developers would agree with you. Not much we can do about it though...

There are a couple of problems. The fist one is a general problem. Most PB developers take a screenshot using the media buttons. This then has to be reduced in size to match RIM's recommended dimensions. The loss of quality is apparent even when we use a good image processing tools like PhotoShop. Some apps are offered accross all BB platforms, so quite often the screenshots are from a smartphone. RIM does not allow for the possibility of more than one set of screenshots to be uploaded to App World. This means that the images are bound to be of less than stellar quality when viewed on a PlayBook.

The second problem has to do with the new Android-based apps. Since not many of the new developers had access to a real PlayBook, they chose to use existing screenshots from their Android devices.
    Denus likes this.
    03-19-12 03:00 PM
    For any developers in the crowd, consider this existing support forums thread for discussion: Appworld screenshots on PlayBook have horrible pix... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    03-19-12 03:13 PM
    I take it this was a Freudian slip....
    Arghhh... Corrected. :-)
    03-19-12 05:17 PM
    As a developer I was shocked when OS 2.0 was released and I saw the screenshot issue.

As much as I am a fan of RIM, I have to admit, this is a good example of something that Apple would never allow to happen. Never.

It makes me curious how the differing cultures of companies leads to things like this.

Anyway, yes, this is super disappointing, and I can't believe it has been weeks without any resolution.
    03-19-12 07:50 PM
    Yeah, it happened to my app too.

It makes some screenshots that were gorgeous when I uploaded them look absolutely hideous in the store.

I love showing customers that my app is in fact a blurry mess
    03-19-12 08:21 PM
    As a developer I was shocked when OS 2.0 was released and I saw the screenshot issue.

As much as I am a fan of RIM, I have to admit, this is a good example of something that Apple would never allow to happen. Never.

It makes me curious how the differing cultures of companies leads to things like this.

Anyway, yes, this is super disappointing, and I can't believe it has been weeks without any resolution.
    this problem has bothered me for a long time, it really makes app world looks crappier than it already is. i thought as a business focused company, RIM would pay more attention to details like this than others, apparently i was wrong...... good work RIM for being unprofessional in a stupid fashion.
    03-20-12 12:08 AM
    From Appworld screenshots on PlayBook have horrible pix... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

"Re: Appworld screenshots on PlayBook have horrible pixelation issues due to JPEG over compression

I'm looking into this and will provide an update as soon as possible.
    Mark Sohm
    BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
    Found a bug? Report it using the Issue Tracker"

So maybe there's hope after all?
    03-20-12 11:23 AM
    Mark replied today with some detail and a sort of timeline: Re: Appworld screenshots on PlayBook have horrible... - Page 2 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

In short, some data is cached for up to 30 days in App World servers, so to the extent changes they've already made may fix things, it may still be some time before the "bad" stuff is entirely flushed through.

Secondly, they've improved the App World client and "this update will be rolled out in the next OS update." (Without any hint when that may be, though we know they are internally testing a maintenance update so fingers crossed it's in there, and that they release that soon!)
    danielbigham likes this.
    03-20-12 12:48 PM
    Well, sounds good to me.
    03-21-12 04:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD