View Poll Results: How often do you attempt to backup your Playbook?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once per day

0 0%
  • More than once per day

1 2.08%
  • Once per week

16 33.33%
  • Once per month

15 31.25%
  • I never backup my Playbook!

16 33.33%
    I installed and UNinstalled 3 different DM's this morning. None of them could do a backup of my pb. Some connected and some did not connect but all offered access to the Z (or Y or X) drives - so the device was definitely connected by usb cable.

I guess I've given up. As for my data, well, I can back that up myself - music, video, photos, docs, etc. I manually do that. It is the apps and possibly the settings I'd like to backup.

Oh, well.....
    09-14-11 04:18 PM
    I installed and UNinstalled 3 different DM's this morning. None of them could do a backup of my pb. Some connected and some did not connect but all offered access to the Z (or Y or X) drives - so the device was definitely connected by usb cable.

I guess I've given up. As for my data, well, I can back that up myself - music, video, photos, docs, etc. I manually do that. It is the apps and possibly the settings I'd like to backup.

Oh, well.....
    For your Media, you can either do Custom backup through DM (which you seem to be having trouble with) or just copy the Media folder to your computer (which does the same thing without compressing it. Settings are nice to back up but not essential since there's not a lot of them to set. It's the App data that's a real shame to lose.
    09-14-11 04:29 PM
    Just updated Facebook, NFS, Tetris, and NFB. The correct number of apps are listing in Backup. When I click Backup, it runs. So now I know that 'good apps' can install and update with no ill effect on Backup.

I'm off to reinstall the rest of my apps. I'm going to do them in blocks of 4 or 5 so that if I run into the backup problem, I'll have it more narrowed down.
    09-14-11 10:27 PM
    Ah, good old process of time-consuming elimination. Let us know where it falls down if it does.
    09-14-11 11:53 PM
    I finally reinstalled most of my apps. Because I was not able to backup App data, I lost about 8 apps that a) I downloaded for free during special promotion days, b) that were free at one point and now they're not and c) apps that I had not upgraded from the original free one to an update that's now paid.

On the bright side, it gave me an opportunity to play with them for a while and I'm going to buy at least 5 of them.

After reinstalling all of the apps (except the 8 above) I ran a Custom backup of my App Data. It completed successfully. As I write this, I'm currently running a full (not Custom) backup that's chugging along nicely. Since my issue was different than those who got to 99% and then failed and since I was able to complete an App data backup, I'm confident that I now have the ability to use Backup (full or custom), Restore, and probably Switch Devices.

My original goal here was to simply switch devices. Two and a half days later, I'm switched (pending setting up my Blackberry News feeds).

Through this exercise, I have come to the following conclusion. There are no bad apps - only bad installations. If any of the apps were bad, I would not be able to be performing a full backup right now. I think that there was a problem in the installer at the time some apps were installed and/or updated. In some instances, the installer did not recognize an existing app on the device when I chose to update it via App World. It then created a second instance of the app which resulted in a single entry for the app in App World, but two icons on my home screen for the same app. When I deleted from within App World, it removed only one of the two homescreen icons. The problem occurred, I believe, when I manually deleted the remaining one. It must have been trying to adjust some app counter or other form of app registration data. The backup procedure must be trying to match this count vs. the actual app data on the device. When it doesn't match up, it dies. At least that's what I think.
    09-15-11 12:08 AM
    Backup successfully completed. That was easy. Now if only my brand new 64gb Playbook didn't have a bump in the back - but that's for another thread. At least if I need to return it, I have a complete backup
    09-15-11 12:36 AM
    Great about the backup working - sorry about your Hunchback of Waterloo!!!!
    09-15-11 09:17 AM
    Great about the backup working - sorry about your Hunchback of Waterloo!!!!
    ROFL! After I made that post, I took found an image of the Hunchback and tried to put a Playbook on his back. But at that time of night, I couldn't figure any way to do it quickly with good quality.

Side Note: Guess I finished just in time for the coming update. I think I'll wait to do my wipe of the 16gb PB until after the Update drops.

I'll be curious to hear if you have any success backing up after the update.
    09-15-11 12:03 PM
    I am thinking of trying to install dm on my laptop and seeing what happens there???
    09-15-11 12:43 PM
    I am thinking of trying to install dm on my laptop and seeing what happens there???
    Go for it. Try the backup now and then give it another shot after the update (if the recent Bridge update truly means an OS update later today/tonight).
    09-15-11 01:34 PM
    I have the same problem, app word is showing the same number of apps (6) as I have on the homescreen (icons)

but in the general menu, it says I have 35 !! If I include all the apps (natives + bridge) it goes to 34

I've deleted most of my apps (I had like 100 apps) to try to restore the broken save but it still doesn't work !

Is there a way using ssh or else to save the apps I have left ? (these are games I've spent hours on)
    Last edited by snowfree52; 10-26-11 at 05:24 AM.
    10-26-11 05:20 AM
    Sigh... this is a major issue. I just tried to backup my 64GB on 1.x and nada. Custom backup shows all the right entries, 2.09 GB for application data, and I tried backup up just the settings and it worked... but for some reason, the Application Data backup gets to about 35 MB transferred and throws the usual error. Logs as follows:

17:27:48.177|DEBUG|42|Rim.Desktop.Services.Device| 0|[Rim:esktop::Services::RichmondDevice::BackupRestore::S treamValidator::Eos] StreamValidator ending stream 0
    17:27:48.177|ERROR|42|Rim.Desktop.Services.Control ChannelWebClient|0|[Desktop Error] WebClient::SendCommand - BackupGetFile Impossible to retrieve response from the server - An ERROR occurred: i.e connection closed by the server, Web or general exception in the Web client, etc: GetLargeFile - WebException occured - Status: Timeout
    Description: The operation has timed out.
    10-28-11 04:30 PM
    OK, now with the new OS...

I've plugged my playbook to the PC and loaded desktop software, and surprise, my app data showed 1,5Go and 55 entries.
    Finally, I would be able to save all my data.

I then clicked on save and after a minute or two waiting, got an error telling me the operation has failed ...

I am so bored.
    11-28-11 02:47 AM
    Louzer thanks for doing the work on this. I have the same problem as most being unable to back up applications. Media and Settings work OK on a custom backup. I am sending mine in to get the USB port fixed (loose and poor connection). When I get it back, I will re-install my apps and advise if I find any that are causing the problem.
    12-04-11 07:21 AM
    I have a major update :

It actually seems the problem comes from both desktop manager for windows and the playbook.

This week end I wanted to try the OS2 beta and therefore needed to back up.

Then I remembered I never tried to back up on my macbook pro.

I updated it with the new desktop manager for mac, plugged in my playbook and hitted save.

Surprise, the save went through at first try !

and then after updating to OS2 I was able to restore my back up.

12-05-11 02:51 AM
    Yesterday, I did a Security Wipe and for the first time since June was able to do both a Full and Custom backup. I've repeatedly tried over the intervening months and installed and UNinstalled a variety of DM versions, older archived ones, newer ones and beta ones. None would allow either type of backup.

I guess I should try now that I've TEDIOUSLY restored 20gigs of data.
    12-05-11 09:27 AM
    I posted this over here, but its relevant here too: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...t-10-a-734493/

Finally got a clean PlayBook.

Here are some "general" suggestions. I have to warn you this is a complete PITA. I had to remove over 230 applications to make this work.

#1) Other: Save No App Data (Gave Saves), but Quickly Resolve the Issue

Fix:
    1. Backup your Media files (custom backup): How to back up your BlackBerry PlayBook — and why I
    2. Backup your Settings (custom backup): How to back up your BlackBerry PlayBook — and why I
    3. Perform a secure wipe of your PB: KB27188-How to perform a security wipe on a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet
    4. Reload your Media and Settings
    5. Take a few backups to make sure its working

#2) Other: Potential Quick Fix

Steps:
    1. Delete PC Recipe App and all other Recipe Apps
    2. Delete all Weather Apps especially WeatherEye HD
    3. Delete all News Apps
    4. Delete all GPS Apps
    5. Delete any suspicious apps or apps with many files
    6. Verify Backup is working. Depending on the potential error, see below.

#3) Quick Failure: Immediate PlayBook Backup Failure, Keeping your Data

This failure usually occurs at 100 bytes. It happens frequently. This failure is likely an OS corruption of some kind or timeout reading some file. It happens about 4 out of 5 times. But it works 1 out of 5 times. It can also be caused by sideloading the Android 1 player onto your PB as it prevents backups by some strange corruption to the file system.

Steps:
    1. Turn off wifi sharing
    2. Turn off file sharing
    3. Connect via USB
    4. Ensure your cable is your PB usb cable not a phone usb cable
    5. Perform a backup of Media (will likely succeed)
    6. Perform a backup of Settings (will likely succeed)
    7. Perform a backup of Apps (this will fail 3-4 times out of 5, but will eventually work)

Fix:
    1. Once you have a partial working Backup, take one more of the entire system.
    2. Wipe your PB and load the Backup

#4) Partial Failure: Part way through backup your backup fails, Keeping your Data

This is believed to be caused by a faulty application installation. The apps vary widely from PC Recipes, to Weather apps, to News apps. But I've developed a "method" for identifying this.

Steps:
    1. If you have MANY applications, delete all the small applications you do not use
    2. Avoid applications with a large number of files
    3. Any application that generated an Error 0008 and stayed installed needs to be removed
    4. Any application that has MORE than one icon (check all your folders) has been incorrectly installed. Remove these by holding on the icon and pressing Delete
    5. Any application listed in AppWorld (turn off wifi to have an easier time deleting from AppWorld) that does not exist in any folder, is also going to cause the failure. Delete any apps missing from your Dock from within AppWorld.
    6. Any application listed in a Dock that is not listed in AppWorld (again trust me, turn off wifi) is going to cause the failure. Delete the stray application from the dock.

Fix:
    1. Once you have a full and proper backup, do a secure wipe of your PlayBook
    2. Reload your Backups
    3. Make two more Backup attempts to ensure it was successful

References

URL's:
    1. Still unable to Back up Playbook! - Page 13 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    2. Desktop 6.0.2.44 released - Page 2 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    3. Playbook will not Back up! - Page 10 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    4. Bad Apps Cause PlayBook Backups to Fail
    5. Contact Research In Motion (RIM) - Canada
    07-27-12 05:21 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD