When will we start to see apps that run and update in the background on the PlayBook, if it's even possible? Apps like beweather and other weather apps that have a constantly updating home screen icon. Also bebuzz would be awesome since the led works now but that's another rant for another day. But there are also the messaging apps like msn and yahoo messenger that still aren't available but apps like that should be able to run in the background. And have we all forgotten that we were able to video chat on these other platforms before skype came about (even though skype dominates today). And while I recognize that some apps just aren't available yet, what about the ones that are. Score Mobile keeps me updated on scores on my phone and it doesn't have to be open. Even the BlackBerry News app updates every hour and sends me a notification on my phone. Why can't the same be said about the PlayBook version? If I'm wrong about anything someone please notify me, but things like this could help to show the power of a "true multitasking" platform.
    Last edited by itwascasper; 03-05-12 at 09:50 AM.
    03-05-12 09:41 AM
    Yeah...we need a task-manager APP and allow other apps to run in background...We want facebook, twitter, Y! Messenger, IM+ maybe to work in background and give us notifications... Also give them that "star" thingie that appears when you receive a message/mail/anything else...If blackberry is supposed to revolve around communication then we need notifications and the ability to read a message whenever we receive it too...
    03-05-12 09:53 AM
    Exactly. I completely forgot about the obvious Facebook notifications but you're absolutely correct. BlackBerry was founded as a communications platform and although there are many things they need to change and work on, RIM can't abandon the basics that got them here in the first place.
    03-05-12 10:00 AM
    There are no API's (mechanisms) yet for 3rd party apps to do this. Too bad, otherwise we'd be a step closer to implementing some true sync features in Files & Folders.
    03-05-12 10:30 AM
    Apps that are running in the background drains your battery
    03-05-12 03:07 PM
    If you don't want the battery drain then don't use the app but if the app is useful enough I would accept the drain along with it. For the most part, the apps I see that run in the background are useful and have a specific noticeable reason for using up extra resources.
    riscman likes this.
    03-05-12 03:23 PM
    I believe the Always-On experience feature and "Super App" integration is suppose to arrive with BlackBerry 10 devices and I'm sure PlayBook will get these updates as well.

suzieque likes this.
    03-05-12 03:30 PM
    Apps that are running in the background drains your battery
    Not always. If the app is well-written the battery usage can be negligable or even zero. Consider a to-do list or alarm clock app that registers with the OS that it wants to be revived at a certain time. Or a task that runs in the background and does something trivial once an hour. Or just sits there waiting for a network connection.

On QNX, there are dozens of processes running all the time. The overhead for a process is very small.

However, if it is not well written and keeps polling a server over Wifi, or keeps an rendering-loop running at full speed, then yes it will drain your battery. But it would do that if it was running in the foreground too.
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-06-12 04:06 AM
    Most apps like Facebook, messenger and stuff will need an internet connection...so they won't do anything if you're not connected to the internet, so they won't drain that much battery...But I'd love to see my facebook notificaton pop up when I bridge my playbook...
    03-06-12 07:08 AM
    There are no API's (mechanisms) yet for 3rd party apps to do this. Too bad, otherwise we'd be a step closer to implementing some true sync features in Files & Folders.
    Yahoo! Messenger, Windows Live Messenger and a number of others requested are actually RIM-owned now and don't need API because they are no longer in the hands of third parties.

I would be happy if Rim would just remember to update the Phone app so Yahoo Msgr runs smoothly on
    OS7 and stops dropping messages!!!

And yes, I want at least audio chat on these apps, whether on the phone or the PlayBook - though preferably both!
    03-07-12 09:59 AM