You can not imagine how exciting this is. As a chemist, I could easily connect to the E-notebook application running in my office, with a form factor easy to take into a lab, or harsh environment.
    This is a great use for the PB! I thought I'd just point out real quick that the ability to take a single application into a VNC window is something that CAN be done, although I'm not sure how it would all work with the PB... Ideally you'd use a VNC server that could export an application to it's own port and then connect to it.

Might take a look at this solution and see if it works with your chemical engineering application:

MetaVNC -- a window-aware VNC
    05-06-11 11:08 PM
    You need a VNC server installed on your target machine. I would recommend going with TightVNC or RealVNC. It is very easy to download and install. We are working on documentation for aVNC and will have it up soon. For access outside the local wifi you will need to setup port forwarding from your router and maybe static IP. More information will be in documentation which we are going to get up ASAP!
    Have to say i am loving the app... but maybe you or someone else in this thread would be able to assist me.

ive tried both tightvnc and realvnc and cannot seem to access my computer over the internet. i set up port forwarding for 5800-5900 as per the faq.

i tried connecting to my external ip address as well as setting up a no-ip.com static domain... neither connect. am i missing a step?

This app works great for me on my own wifi for the record...
    05-06-11 11:26 PM
    I've not yet used a VNC server so pardon the dumb questions. I've got 4 computers at home on a single router. The router has a static ip. Is there a way to run a VNC server on each of the computers? If so how do I address one of them? And if I have a VNC server running how much of a resource hog is it when idle?
    FWIW, I'm an experienced system administrator and have VNC running in some form on pretty much any PC I need access to. It's VERY light on resource usage when installed with the correct video accelerator, and draws next to nothing when not active. Takes about 1-10MB of memory when it's either active or asleep so not too many worries there.

UltraVNC is my personal favorite, and seems to work great with this app.

Maybe we could convince the developer to implement some of the UltraVNC specific features? File transfer? Single window mode? It's pretty easy to get access to their source code so you would know how to call these features... SourceForge.net Repository - [ultravnc] Index of /UltraVNC Project Root/UltraVNC

Just an idea!
    05-06-11 11:27 PM
    Have to say i am loving the app... but maybe you or someone else in this thread would be able to assist me.

ive tried both tightvnc and realvnc and cannot seem to access my computer over the internet. i set up port forwarding for 5800-5900 as per the faq.

i tried connecting to my external ip address as well as setting up a no-ip.com static domain... neither connect. am i missing a step?

This app works great for me on my own wifi for the record...
    If you're running on Win vista or 7 the firewall may be ruining your fun. You really only need one port forwarded, 5900 is the default port it listens on. You can change to 5901, 5902, etc for other computers you want to access from the outside. You only need to forward TCP traffic on port 5900 (or an alternative that you choose) to the PC to be able to gain access.

Can you connect to this PC inside the LAN with a VNC client? Taking the firewall out of the mix will help you determine that you're looking in the right area.
    05-06-11 11:30 PM
    I get an error screen saying a connection could not be established and as a result the session will close.

Running RealVNC on my local wifi. Set it up as explained in the guide, and even tried different setting to see if any worked an no go.

I know it does talk to my PC since when I set RealVNC to prompt for access, i get the prompt, but even if I hit accept it disconnects.

I have disabled my firewall, but it still won't connect.

Thoughts?
    05-06-11 11:41 PM
    If you're running on Win vista or 7 the firewall may be ruining your fun. You really only need one port forwarded, 5900 is the default port it listens on. You can change to 5901, 5902, etc for other computers you want to access from the outside. You only need to forward TCP traffic on port 5900 (or an alternative that you choose) to the PC to be able to gain access.

Can you connect to this PC inside the LAN with a VNC client? Taking the firewall out of the mix will help you determine that you're looking in the right area.
    yes i can connect within the LAN i am not home right now to try turning off my firewall (i use avast) feel stupid for not thinking of that haha... thanks ill report back later tonight

edit: so how dumb do i feel. my problem was that i forgot to check the enable box next to my forwarded port.... works great now lan and over the internet!
    Last edited by altrax; 05-07-11 at 01:59 AM. Reason: update
    npunk42 likes this.
    05-06-11 11:57 PM
    Good deal! Sometimes just going over basics you run into something and go "duh". Happens to the best of us.

Pretty impressed with the speed, can't wait till some type of scroll lock is implemented.
    05-07-11 02:17 AM
    Scroll lock, pinch to zoom, right click gesture.

All things that are being worked on This app deserves to be first in "Top Purchased" because it is a solid app right now and has dedicated developer that is here taking feedback and implementing the changes that users are requesting... Top Notch!

Cannot wait for aMail.... and aSSH (or am i being to hopeful haha)
    05-07-11 02:27 AM
    will there be support for sound?
    05-07-11 03:30 AM
    Please improve RealVNC support. It doesn't seem to want to connect via NT Authentication or it wont work properly with certain encryption modes enabled.
    Last edited by theguz4l; 05-07-11 at 10:42 AM.
    05-07-11 10:31 AM
    Thanks everyone. Just to let you know aVNC update is now queued up we will be pushing more updates into the queue and expect approval in the next 7-10 days. Thanks for everyone suggestions and comments. If you like aVNC please review it in App World (TM). If you are having issues using aVNC email support@aiflex.com
    jumorrow likes this.
    05-07-11 11:43 AM
    Is this the same thing as Windows Remote Desktop? Does it work with that?
    05-07-11 11:45 AM
    This is an alternative to RDP. It is much more cross platform and allows connection to Linux, Mac and Windows.
    05-07-11 11:54 AM
    This is an alternative to RDP. It is much more cross platform and allows connection to Linux, Mac and Windows.
    But, How do you connect to Mac? I have tried since yesterday and I have not succeeded.
    05-07-11 12:14 PM
    But, How do you connect to Mac? I have tried since yesterday and I have not succeeded.
    Which VNC server are you using? Vine?
    05-07-11 12:43 PM
    Thanks everyone. Just to let you know aVNC update is now queued up we will be pushing more updates into the queue and expect approval in the next 7-10 days. Thanks for everyone suggestions and comments. If you like aVNC please review it in App World (TM). If you are having issues using aVNC email support@aiflex.com
    Can you tell us whats included on this newest version? I still can't connect using realVNC, had to use another program.
    05-07-11 01:43 PM
    Can you tell us whats included on this newest version? I still can't connect using realVNC, had to use another program.
    aVNC is a client not a server version. You will need to install RealVNC server on your PC.
    05-07-11 02:34 PM
    aVNC is a client not a server version. You will need to install RealVNC server on your PC.
    I know. I do have realVNC on my PC, and I can't login using to my PC using that as my server. i downloaded another program mentioned in this post and that one did work. But I would rather use RealVNC
    05-07-11 03:19 PM
    Which VNC server are you using? Vine?
    I am using the Remote desktop application on the MAC (MAC OSX default software)

Just for reference:
    * I can connect my playbook to my PC's (UltraVNC server and aVNC viewer))
    * I can connect my PC's to my MAC (Default MAC server and UltraVNC viewer)
    * I can connect my MAC to my PC's (UltraVNC Server and ChikenVNC viewer)
    * I can connect my MAC Laptop to my MAC Pro (Default MAC server and ChikenVNC viewer)

And at work I use RealVNC Standard and Enterprise every day on Windows, Linux and Unix (I haven't tried playbook there) Just for reference that I am an OLD VNC user.

I know (think) there are no ULTRA for MAC, But The "DEFAULT" works fine and I have used for quite some time (only aVNC does not work till now)
    05-07-11 03:43 PM
    Hi robertogag,

We are bringing in more macs for testing to get a guide of how to setup aVNC to work with them. We are working on this. We have an update out and will get the list of updates that feature in it up in the next day or two as we are still working on getting more features into the release already waiting in the blackberry approval queue. Thank you for you patience and if anyone is having issue please email AiFlex at support@aiflex.com
    robertogag likes this.
    05-07-11 04:54 PM
    Hi robertogag,

We are bringing in more macs for testing to get a guide of how to setup aVNC to work with them. We are working on this. We have an update out and will get the list of updates that feature in it up in the next day or two as we are still working on getting more features into the release already waiting in the blackberry approval queue. Thank you for you patience and if anyone is having issue please email AiFlex at support@aiflex.com
    No problem. Thanks a lot for the great support.
    05-07-11 05:44 PM
    If you are having issues with RealVNC not connecting to aVNC. Open the settings menu and then go to legacy. Then check the "only use protocol version 3.3" checkbox and click apply. This should now work with aVNC. If you are still having issues please PM me.
    05-07-11 08:15 PM
    Alternatively if you do not have a legacy tab look for a parameter in the expert tab called Protocol3.3 and change it to True
    05-07-11 10:16 PM
    how do hou do a right click in avnc
    05-08-11 04:55 PM
    how do hou do a right click in avnc
    You don't, not until the feature has been added in by AiFlex.
    05-08-11 05:06 PM
115 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD