With realvnc you can change the ports that the service listens on under the advanced settings I dont know about any other version of the VNC server the default is 5900. in aVNC I believe you can enter in the port to match what you change it to. if they are doing content filtering it may not work though.
    Any idea what ports are generally open for communication or to put it another way, which ports are most commonly blocked? I just don't want to go back and forth between school and my home as I will only be able to change the port once.
    05-13-11 05:20 PM
    I'm using UltraVNC but I can only see my main monitor and not the 2nd one. Anyone know if there's a way to remedy that?
    05-13-11 05:26 PM
    Any idea what ports are generally open for communication or to put it another way, which ports are most commonly blocked? I just don't want to go back and forth between school and my home as I will only be able to change the port once.
    port 80 http is usually open
    as well as 443 https

these are web ports so if you have a web server running they my be in use
    05-13-11 08:38 PM
    I'm using UltraVNC but I can only see my main monitor and not the 2nd one. Anyone know if there's a way to remedy that?
    when i scroll right my second monitor comes into view.
    05-14-11 12:32 AM
    I am awaiting specific instructions on setting this up. I like how it works within the network but I must be missing something to get it to work away from the network. It would be nice to drop into some coffee shop that offers wifi along the way and get into my comp to make scheduling changes on software not related to my calender. Im using Tight VNC and aVNC. Works perfectly within my local network but not outside.
    05-14-11 08:33 AM
    I have been struggling for the better part of a day and a half to get this set up. BUT, it is not the fault of the aVNC app! Will has been there with me most of that time, which is especially impressive given the time difference! The support from aiflex has been outstanding! Now, if only I can get the windows side of the VNC to play nice, I will be in business!
    05-14-11 04:27 PM
    Thanks to Will for a quick reply to an email with a link that went through the process of port forwarding and such. Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model - PortForward.com. It had instructions specific to my router.Very nice.The main thing for me was the realization that I needed to set up a separate profile for local network and one for out of my local network. Basically one with my internal ip for my computer as the server (lan) and one with my routers ip (not the one you need to get into the router to change settings) along with the port forwarding for the out of local network setup.
    Im damned! now Im able to access my computer from anywhere, but I cant manipulate anything like I did before. What could that be?
    05-14-11 09:21 PM
    Thanks to Will for a quick reply to an email with a link that went through the process of port forwarding and such. Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model - PortForward.com. It had instructions specific to my router.Very nice.The main thing for me was the realization that I needed to set up a separate profile for local network and one for out of my local network. Basically one with my internal ip for my computer as the server (lan) and one with my routers ip (not the one you need to get into the router to change settings) along with the port forwarding for the out of local network setup.
    Im damned! now Im able to access my computer from anywhere, but I cant manipulate anything like I did before. What could that be?
    I'm still having difficulty getting everything configured. can you elaborate on the different profiles? I have set up the port forwarding according to the instructions for my specific router. I still cannot get connected remotely.
    05-15-11 08:09 AM
    sure. in the profile you use to connect to a computer within your local network, the name would be the name of your computer and its ip. If you place your pointer over the TightVNC icon on the computer you want to connect to you should be able to see an ip #. thats the # you use as the server ip. Use the default port 5900. You can test that and see if you can view the computer within your local network from your playbook. If thats good, then make sure your router it set also. Go to port forwarding , on mine I needed to input the TCP ports both 5800, 5900 the computer ip#, and the program name aVNC. While you are still in your router you should be able to find the routers WAN ip#. Its not the same as the routers internal ip# you might use to change settings in the router, its not the same as your computers ip#. Use the routers WAN ip# as the server, use whatever for the name, you can only use one port# in aVNC so try either 5900 or 5800.
    Thats another improvement that could be made to aVNC, the edit feature doesnt allow you to edit, only to delete a profile then you have to start over. Its a minor inconvenience, but still. Thats it for me. But now I can see the computer in and out of my local network, but I cannot do anything with it. Hmmm, and that just started.
    05-15-11 10:16 AM
    But now I can see the computer in and out of my local network, but I cannot do anything with it. Hmmm, and that just started.
    You might want to double check all your settings on the TightVNC server running on your PC. It has some options that will make the client basically view only. I can't remember all the details but I remember seeing that when I was setting mine up.
    npunk42 likes this.
    05-15-11 02:26 PM
    TA-DAAAA! I went over the Tight VNC settings again and again. The I noticed a separate password for view only. I had forgotten that I pass-worded both the primary access and the view only access, then I was using the view only password all this time!
    Allow me to be negligent, that you may be mindful
    Allow me to be careless, that you may be diligent
    05-16-11 04:00 PM
    The updated aVNC is cool too. Its just getting better, Thanks!
    05-16-11 11:20 PM
    great updateaiflex. ty!
    05-17-11 01:56 AM
    Allow me to be negligent, that you may be mindful
    Allow me to be careless, that you may be diligent
    Glad I could be of service!
    05-17-11 07:38 AM
    Any update coming down the line for NT logon auth or encryption??
    05-23-11 04:27 PM
115 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD