Will this be compatible with RealVNC version 4 and beyond? I find that it is backwards that I have to enable 'Legacy' 3.3 mode on 100's of my servers to have this work properly?

A fix for a native solution would be better..
    05-08-11 06:16 PM
    We have tested aVNC development version with versions up to realvnc 4.4 which work and are currently working on later versions. Right click and an improved navigation method with pinch to zoom will feature in aVNC version 2. Also with in app setup guides, favourite connections, more keys and combinations and better styling. Encryption and other authentications will be in the update after.
    05-08-11 06:32 PM
    Thank you!! Just an updated test, AiFlex:

I tried legacy mode 3.3 (already working without needing this on RealVNC) and I noticed:

NT Authentication / Encryption will still need to be disabled (Password only) so regardless, this doesn't help.

Either way, I really am looking forward to the later updates. This will be the killer app!

I am so close to not needing my laptop for server IT support! I am happy that we are able to directly display our concerns / issues in the forums. Thank you much for the continued support.
    Last edited by theguz4l; 05-08-11 at 07:21 PM.
    05-08-11 07:07 PM
    Are there simple instructions for getting this to work? Downloading the app is easy...getting the VNC server on the PC not so much. I thought I got everything configured, the test said I succeeded, but my PB would not connect.
    05-08-11 08:20 PM
    Well, it kinda works if I go with the 3.3 switch..

But then the same error pops up "connection could not be established As a result this connection will be closed". this happens after the prompt for a password & my comp screen goes blank (windows 7 X64). After I hit "ok", my comp screen comes back.

RealVNC 4.6.1(trial) - Server(user mode)
    05-08-11 11:53 PM
    can someone suggest a good VNC server to download? mention the prices as well.

it would be primarily for my personal use. if it works very well, i might use it for my company as well (only 4 people).

thank you. this is an amazing app.
    05-08-11 11:54 PM

it would be primarily for my personal use. if it works very well, i might use it for my company as well (only 4 people).

Read the thread. You can run tightvnc, which is free, or realvnc, which is free for personal use. Both have been mentioned several times throughout the length of this thread.
    05-09-11 01:19 AM
    My vote would have to be UltraVNC, I love the extra features it has. Repeater support lets you have only one port open on the firewall and you can access any of the inside computers running VNC this way.

UltraVNC: Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool, Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control

There's other great features it has, and takes a little bit to learn how to deploy it 100%, but once you do it uses little to no resources and is very fast. I've used it for about 6-7 years now and have been happy with it overall! Ohh yeah, and it's free!
    05-09-11 01:20 AM
    Read the thread. You can run tightvnc, which is free, or realvnc, which is free for personal use. Both have been mentioned several times throughout the length of this thread.
    Were do you see RealVNC as free for personal use??.. the Personal version costs $30 ????
    05-09-11 07:46 AM
    Were do you see RealVNC as free for personal use??.. the Personal version costs $30 ????
    Look a little harder..

RealVNC - VNC� Free Edition 4.1

Tim
    05-09-11 07:52 AM
    We recommend using TightVNC currently as it provides a great service and is free. TightVNC: VNC-Compatible Free Remote Control / Remote Desktop Software also setup is straight forward. Thank is not to say that the other providers are not good.
    05-09-11 10:55 AM
    As trsbbs showed you, it's right there on the realvnc website at no charge. I am also running it on my personal computers at home and didn't spend a dime on it.

I've tried both VNC clients here, realvnc and tightvnc, and I prefer realvnc personally.
    05-09-11 11:23 AM
    I like this app and it does what it suppose to do. I do have some feature request I would like to add.

1. I use RealVNC server (windows, linux) and all my servers are set to Encryption: Always On. The PB app can not connect when this feature is on... I had to change to Encryption either to Off or Prefer on.

2. Some how mimic right click of the mouse.

3. Would like a way to change the color level. For example, 256, 64, 8 colors etc.., This would help a lot for me during slower connections and too much crap on the desktop.

That's all I got for now and looking for future updates. All and all, it's a fantastic app and is the only app I paid for so far on my PB.
    05-09-11 12:05 PM

Try UltraVNC. Link to download: UltraVnc download manager

I like it.
    05-09-11 12:12 PM
    Using the App on the PlayBook with RealVNC and it works very well logging into clients and severs.

An idea for the development team....the ability to load a host file where the app can search for a hostname instead of being totally dependent on IP addresses, unless of course, you've got a DNS option in the works!
    05-09-11 05:09 PM
    i thought dns worked
    05-09-11 05:10 PM
    It didn't for me, but I could be doing something wrong.
    05-10-11 07:36 AM
    Installed TightVNC on my laptop and aVNC on the PB, and it is working flawlessly. Very easy setup with TightVNC, pretty much everything was already setup upon installation, I only had to enter my IP address. Now, to be fair, I have not tried this while the PB is connected outside my home network, but I expect no issues. My only complaints thus far would be: add pinch zooming, better double click response, smoother scrolling. That being said, this was exactly the app I had been looking for, and I am super excited that it works as well as it does. I had been waiting for DropBox app for the PB, but if this continues to improve, it could be the solution I need. Thanks AiFlex!
    05-10-11 08:46 AM
    A couple of things that I need for work software, Gibbs Cam

-hold down shift key and middle click and drag
    -hold down Ctrl key and middle click and drag
    -hold down shift key and left click and drag
    -hold down shift key and right click and drag
    -hold down ctrl key and right click and drag
    -middle click and drag
    -right click and drag

Not too much to ask I hope. Great app so far. Look forward for updates.
    05-10-11 09:46 AM
    I was able to connect with TightVNC, but would really like to use RealVNC because I don't see any advanced settings on TightVNC. The access connection seems lagged using TightVNC. RealVNC has color adjustments and some additional settings, but I can't get it to connect. I am not very familiar with these programs though. I have been trying to find a solution to this.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, allowed access to my firewall, set up port forwarding and followed all the RealVNC instructions on the ieFLex site. Any suggestions?
    05-13-11 05:04 AM
    Any update on the next release? It really takes 2 weeks per revision to have RIM approve?
    05-13-11 08:17 AM
    nvm wrong post.
    Last edited by gtirsmiley; 05-13-11 at 06:18 PM.
    05-13-11 08:42 AM
    I was at school today and tried to use my playbook to connect to my home PC. I assume that the local firewall is denying access to certain ports. I have researched it a bit it seems possible to connect through firewalls using SSH tunneling. Do you think there is the possibility that you could include this option for future versions. I assume this will help out many people as a lot of business networks will also be restricted to what they can access.
    05-13-11 03:50 PM
    With realvnc you can change the ports that the service listens on under the advanced settings I dont know about any other version of the VNC server the default is 5900. in aVNC I believe you can enter in the port to match what you change it to. if they are doing content filtering it may not work though.
    ad19 likes this.
    05-13-11 04:19 PM
    After finally getting some time to get this all setup, I'm very pleased with this app. This will make it so much more useful for my job. I can use my desktop Outlook easier than using OWA and since my PB is on the network, I could save attachments directly to the PB, thereby eliminating the file size limitation in Bridge.

Can't wait to test it with the VPN on the mifi and to set up my home computer for remote access. It will also be interesting to see how it works with tethering to my BES-enabled BB. Will I even need the VPN then? Will report back soon.
    05-13-11 05:14 PM
115 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD