Update on situation: on one of the other threads, someone mentioned setting up profiles for both the router and external IP. When I got into my office today, I added a profile for the internal wifi with my desktop IP address 10.xx.xx.xxx and aVNC connected flawlessly! That being said, how do I connect from home? Our external IP address is 75.xxx.xx.xxx. If I have profiles for each under aVNC, should it connect from outside?
    When your at home using your router and you want to connect to your computer which is using the same router as your playbook, you have to use the internal ip of that PC.. so it could be like 192.168.1.104 with port 5900.
    05-16-11 11:54 AM
    When your at home using your router and you want to connect to your computer which is using the same router as your playbook, you have to use the internal ip of that PC.. so it could be like 192.168.1.104 with port 5900.
    Nope. At home using home network and trying to desktop computer on office network. I'm basically trying to remote in from offsite into a desktop that is behind a router. When accessing the desktop with the playbook from inside the office network, everything works as it should. Its when I go offsite that I'm running into problems.
    05-16-11 12:29 PM
    When accessing the desktop with the playbook from inside the office network, everything works as it should. Its when I go offsite that I'm running into problems.
    This is a clear indication that the problem lies with your router(s) and/or firewall. Have you configured your router to forward the appropriate port? See my note above about how I did this at my home, and how I discovered that my parent's DSL modem was also acting as a router, so I had to forward the port on two different devices to make it work at their house.

And just so everyone is clear, this common problem is NOT an issue with the aVNC application. Support of this type of network configuration issue is well beyond the scope of what any reasonable person should expect help from the aiFlex guys for. they have been very nice in trying to help people get their network configured for external VNC access, but this is not something they should be expected to support. Especially not for the $4 they get for the client application.

If you can connect remotely with some other VNC client, but can't connect with aVNC, then you could expect some help from them. But if your network isn't accessible from the outside world, regardless of what client you use, then this is not an issue with aVNC..

Just wanted to make sure everyone understood that.

Thanks!
    05-16-11 12:38 PM
    When accessing the desktop with the playbook from inside the office network, everything works as it should. Its when I go offsite that I'm running into problems.
    Also, just realized you are talking about accessing your machine at work. Good luck trying to get your IT guy to poke a hole in his firewall so you can VNC into your work PC. Unless you have a very small office with a very nice (incompetent?) network admin, they will likely never let you do this.

What I have done instead is setup a VPN connection to my work desktop from my home machine using company approved VPN technologies. Then I can VNC to my home machine, and connect from there to work with my VPN software.

Alternatively, the Playbook also supports a few types of VPN connections. If you can get your IT security team to let you securely connect to your company VPN using the Playbook VPN capability, then you could likely VNC to your work desktop over the VPN connection (I think!) without having to poke any holes in your firewall (forwarding ports)..

It's worth asking the IT team at your company about. If they have their act together at all you will not be able to get into the network with aVNC remotely unless you get them to forward the appropriate ports for you, and I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you that you will have to use the VPN option instead..

Just my $0.02....
    05-16-11 12:43 PM
    I have a very small office, and sadly the person who set up the network passed away about 18 months ago. I had to replace the router sometime ago which is how I figured out how to configure it. We have cable DSL for internet. How would I find out if the modem is functioning as a router and needs to be configured as well?

I have used logmein to connect remotely from home into my office desktop. What I'm really looking for is a way to access my office desktop from a location other than home but at a time when I haven't lugged my laptop out.

The fact that I can use aVNC over wifi while sitting in my office definitely tells me that the aVNC portion of the connection is working as desired. Its the external part that is stumping me (unless of course its the modem as router issue).
    05-16-11 01:44 PM
    What is the model of the router you have installed?

One thing to consider, the reason network admins do NOT like having VNC ports passed is because the authentication is transmitted in plain text. So if someone happened to be sniffing packets in between, they could easily gain access to your workstation as well. When you're making the connection over VPN the only portion of the communication that's not encrypted is the traffic over the wire in the office, not from the internet to the office as it is without VPN.

That being considered, I would definitely recommend you go with a non-standard port (Anything but 5900) to be used from the outside. This is a basic level of protection, and won't stop the password from being in plain text, but makes it a little harder for people out there hunting for open services.
    05-16-11 02:09 PM
    I don't like the sound of exposing my desktop to the outside world, and I don't feel comfortable that I understand enough on the modem end of things to secure it properly. I will hold out that logmein will become functional at some point. I have had good luck using that to remote in from home. Thanks to everyone for advice and support, including the aVNC folks!
    05-16-11 03:19 PM
    Well, I'm guessing you either have "Cable" or "DSL". I have never heard of anything called "cable DSL"..

Who is your ISP at the office? That should help us figure it out.

Also, what are the make and model numbers of your modem (cable OR dsl) and your router?

I have a very small office, and sadly the person who set up the network passed away about 18 months ago. I had to replace the router sometime ago which is how I figured out how to configure it. We have cable DSL for internet. How would I find out if the modem is functioning as a router and needs to be configured as well?
    05-16-11 03:19 PM
    Comcast cable internet and Linksys WRT54G
    05-16-11 04:48 PM
    Ok, so that clears thing up a bit! We know you have cable and not DSL. Can you look at your cable modem and tell me what kind it is?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-11 04:53 PM
    Its in the attic of a decrepit old building at the office, and I'm currently at home weathering a spring thunderstorm. I will check tomorrow and report back. Thank you so much for your willingness to help!
    05-16-11 07:46 PM
    Just wondering if there is work being done on the windows authentication. we use realvnc with windows authentication and it isn't working yet? I can connect if i change it to vnc authentication.
    05-17-11 04:03 AM
    Woot! Woke up to an aVNC upgrade this morning! I'm running version 1.7 now. New icon style on the top bar and on the connection list is smaller than before and looks very nice. Also, there is now a nice set of instructions on a few gestures when you first start it up. Also, there is now a help screen on the startup window with lots of goo info in it.

I'm still not sure how to do a right-click. That gesture isn't covered in the help screen that came up. Only pinch to zoom and scrolling the zoomed view were explained in the help screen. I'm guessing this version doesn't support a right click gesture yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys!

It also seems much easier to double-click icons on my desktop now.

Now we can edit a connection definition as well, including changing server and port, icon, etc.. And we can also now choose the encoding type, the color depth and the level of compression (I think).. There is a slider for "Compress" and it would be nice to know what that does.

Overall I would say this is a very nice step in the right direction! What else am I missing?
    Last edited by Mojoski; 05-17-11 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Added more details..
    05-17-11 06:00 AM
    Thank you so much for your willingness to help!
    I'll always help anyone who moved from BB to iPhone and then came back to BB again! Obviously you've got some smarts!
    05-17-11 06:39 AM
    Interesting, i just checked and App World indicates to my PB that V 1.5 is the latest version available. I wonder how I can force the update?
    05-17-11 07:18 AM
    Try this, MedChemist: Open App World, then type "RST" on the keyboard. You should get a message saying the cache has been cleared..

Then click on My World and select the "Refresh" button. Hopefully this will get you the new version. It doesn't always work for me, but sometimes it works.

If it doesn't work, just be patient and you should see the update within a day or so.

Hope this helps!

Interesting, i just checked and App World indicates to my PB that V 1.5 is the latest version available. I wonder how I can force the update?
    05-17-11 07:23 AM
    Mojoski, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. BTW it likes the rst in lower case on my PB. Guess I will have to wait. makes me wonder if I have one of those none updateble PB, though mine is a 32 GB, and serial number wasn't on the list.

Oh well
    05-17-11 07:57 AM
    Sorry that didn't work for you. It is just the nature of App World unfortunately.. They have to cache all app updates out to various servers and the one you're on just doesn't have this update yet. I have had that happen to me as well. It can be maddening when you've been waiting for an update like this one, but all that is required is a little patience. You should see the update with 24 hours tops, I'd guess. Just keep refreshing that list in My World and it will show up eventually.

And no need to worry about your PB being one impacted by the recall issue. Those were having problems with initial OS updates, not individual apps..

Mojoski, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. BTW it likes the rst in lower case on my PB. Guess I will have to wait. makes me wonder if I have one of those none updateble PB, though mine is a 32 GB, and serial number wasn't on the list.

Oh well
    05-17-11 08:07 AM
    Sorry that didn't work for you. It is just the nature of App World unfortunately..
    Here is a link to an article with a bit more info about how App World really works and why updates are slow sometimes. Bottom line is that it was designed that way.

An Explanation From RIM on Why App World Updates are SLOW - BerryReview
    05-17-11 09:26 AM
    I upgraded and using version 1.7.

Still no right click???????

Mouse works fine, but no right click is deal breaker.

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 05-17-11 at 12:48 PM.
    05-17-11 11:56 AM
    I'll always help anyone who moved from BB to iPhone and then came back to BB again! Obviously you've got some smarts!
    Ok, here's the setup:

Modem = SMC Networks model SMC8014 (via Comcast) -- >

Router = Linksys WRT54G -- >

Netgear ProSafe 16 Port 10/100 Switch FS116 -- >

Then hard cabled into my desktop.

I didn't last very long with the iphone as a phone. It doesn't seem to think the way I do, but the blackberry sure does!
    05-17-11 11:57 AM
    Anyway to force the update as I'm not seeing it in App world. Can I delete the app then re-download it, will that work?
    05-17-11 03:16 PM
    Read a few lines up from here!

Tim
    05-17-11 03:31 PM
    Comcast cable internet and Linksys WRT54G
    Hmm, one other thing to consider here is installing ddWRT on that WRT54G and then setting up a VPN server on it. This requires some technical know how, but it can be done and really is the only way to secure the VNC connection right now.

VNC is great! But I really wished they had thought of a hashed / encrypted authentication mechanism at it's inception.
    05-17-11 04:36 PM
    Hmm, one other thing to consider here is installing ddWRT on that WRT54G and then setting up a VPN server on it. This requires some technical know how, but it can be done and really is the only way to secure the VNC connection right now.

VNC is great! But I really wished they had thought of a hashed / encrypted authentication mechanism at it's inception.
    I'm afraid that i have already exhausted the majority of my technical know how. i'm one of those folks that know just enough to be dangerous! But I'm willing to try. i hate problems i cant figure out!
    05-17-11 04:52 PM
159 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD