When is the update with the Right Click option going to hit App World?
    And the RealVNC encryption functionality...

Although with RIMs history in the PlayBook AppWorld, it could take weeks for them to approve it. Ugh.
    05-31-11 08:30 PM
    Bumping this thread up again. Been no word about the update to V2.0 with the right mouse click functionality. Have to wonder if the aMail problems have caused the author to abandon aVNC and the Playbook.
    06-14-11 07:56 AM
    Any word on v2.0 release?
    06-14-11 06:50 PM
    And the RealVNC encryption functionality...

Although with RIMs history in the PlayBook AppWorld, it could take weeks for them to approve it. Ugh.
    The updates don't take nearly as long to approve as the initial submissions. Updates are usually a couple days.
    06-14-11 06:54 PM
    I am very interested in your app for the Blackberry playbook aVNC. Seems quite interesting. When the aVNC app is downloaded onto the Blackberry playbook, which software would be downloaded onto the main server or a normal PC or even a laptop so it will recognize the connecting playbook?
    08-09-11 10:16 AM
    REALVnc have some issue with Avnc, I would consider Tightvnc, never had any issue with this one. But i recommend RDM+ if your not the tech kind because you don't need to forward any port and ip address to keep in mind.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 11:03 AM
    REALVnc have some issue with Avnc, I would consider Tightvnc, never had any issue with this one. But i recommend RDM+ if your not the tech kind because you don't need to forward any port and ip address to keep in mind.

just download RDM plus, just installed it, but when I go to click on it, it doesnt open. what could be the problem there?
    08-09-11 11:28 AM
    ok it just opened, but its only allowing me to add computers...how will the playbook connect. Will it just read the IP address only right?
    08-09-11 12:02 PM
    Ya know, if the developer left it's customers hanging because of a distaste left in their mouth from RIM, that's kind of a crappy move and not really the type of behavior I'd support with my $$. That being said, I do own the app and really wish they'd put together the last few things requested, or at least release the source code to some of us that paid. At this point I'd even be willing to take on the changes requested and offer them back to AiFlex gratis just so the rest of us have a little more functional VNC client.

What do you think AiFlex? Still watch these forums at all? Willing to let me tweak it, send it back, and have you submit it? You have my promise that I would not distribute the code beyond myself.
    08-09-11 12:12 PM
    I think he is still developing, check out the following link.

AiFlex – Development Studio
    HaTaX likes this.
    08-09-11 12:21 PM
    ok it just opened, but its only allowing me to add computers...how will the playbook connect. Will it just read the IP address only right?
    You must install rdm+ on your desktop too ( its free ). There's a thread on this forum about it or you can go on their website. I think its rdmplus.com but google is your friend.

fnf_fiasco likes this.
    08-09-11 12:31 PM
    I think he is still developing, check out the following link.

AiFlex � Development Studio
    Thanks for that, was too lazy to go google it. I sent them a message on their contact form, hopefully they'll respond...
    npunk42 likes this.
    08-09-11 12:51 PM
    [QUOTE=Drashak;6552345]You must install rdm+ on your desktop too ( its free ). There's a thread on this forum about it or you can go on their website. I think its rdmplus.com but google is your friend.

I cant find the thread, been looking for the past hour, but thanks for you help. RIght now I am going to download the aVNC app onto my Playbook, then install it. Then I will go to the main server and download rdm+ and then install it. Is there anything else I should know or do before I begin this procedure???
    08-12-11 10:48 AM
    P.S I also need another app or some other sort of software to remotely access the same main server, but this time from the Blackberry smartphone

Thanks
    08-12-11 10:55 AM
    VNC and RDM do not work together. You need one or the other, not both.. I'd highly recommend you try RDM+ instead. It is much easier to setup..

08-12-11 11:11 AM
    [QUOTE=Mojoski;6563105]VNC and RDM do not work together. You need one or the other, not both.. I'd highly recommend you try RDM+ instead. It is much easier to setup..

I thought that is what I said? I said I will download the aVNC app onto my playbook and then download RDM+ onto the main server......Is that what you recommend I should do?
    08-12-11 11:32 AM
    Well, maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. I'll try to be more clear here anyway, just in case others who read this are confused as well..

RDM+ and VNC are two different tools that both perform a similar function. RDM+ is a product from Shape Services, while VNC is an open protocol that has been implemented by many different teams.

If you're going to load the aVNC client (or the free IMT-VNC client) onto your playbook then you need a VNC server running on the computer you want to connect to and control. There are many VNC Server packages you can try including TightVNC and RealVNC. I have been using TightVNC on my laptop at home with both aVNC and IMT-VNC on my Playbook and it works well. The one issue some users might struggle with, however, is that you have to know how to setup port forwarding on your router in order to be able to connect to your computer when you are not on the same network as your computer. If you fon't have a good understanding of router configuration and port forwarding then getting a VNC based solution working for remote access across the internet can be a bit of a challenge, as you can see in this thread and others on the subject.

That is where RDM+ really shines, in my opinion. The RDM+ solution does not require you know anything about router configuration in order to set it up. You install RDM+ on your playbook and you install RDM Desktop on your PC or Mac and then you just follow the simple steps to register the desktop and suddenly you can connect without any port forwarding or other router reconfiguration.

That is why I recommend RDM+ for people who don't want to mess with the port forwarding.

So in your meaages you said you were putting aVNC on your Playbook and RDM on your computer. I just wanted you to know those two tools won't work together. And like I said, I might have misunderstood what you were saying..

Hope this long explanation is useful to someone out there..

fnf_fiasco and Bungalow_Bill like this.
    08-12-11 12:10 PM
    [QUOTE=fnf_fiasco;6563012]
    You must install rdm+ on your desktop too ( its free ). There's a thread on this forum about it or you can go on their website. I think its rdmplus.com but google is your friend.

I cant find the thread, been looking for the past hour, but thanks for you help. RIght now I am going to download the aVNC app onto my Playbook, then install it. Then I will go to the main server and download rdm+ and then install it. Is there anything else I should know or do before I begin this procedure???
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-635317/

I can attest that this works very well. FYI, this thread is on the second page of this forum.
    fnf_fiasco likes this.
    08-12-11 12:18 PM
    @ Mojoski

Very Interesting, i didnt know there was an RDM+ app for playbook. earlier this week I installed RealVNC onto my computer. I will try the TightVNC. The thing is though, I was reading some other forums, and like out of 20 people, 15 ppl said RealVNC has some issues. I am not saying I have a problem with RDM+, but the aVNC app looks really user friendly from what I saw youtube. But I am willing to take any advice from anyone at the current moment on helping me in my situation.

So about RealVNC, what's your say on that?
    08-12-11 12:24 PM
    Hmm.. I'm still not being clear... Sorry about that.

If you're using a VNC client on your Playbook, either aVNC or IMT-VNC, then you need a VNC server on the computer you're trying to connect to. I have seen some reports that RealVNC has caused some issues for some people using aVNC on their Playbook, but I don't know that much about RealVNC, and I know a lot of people love it, so I'm not trying to put it down. I just know some have reported issues trying to make it work with the aVNC client.

That said, what I use on the PC I want to connect to is a product called "TightVNC".. It is super easy to install and it works like a champ for me. I get the impression it is kind of a stripped down VNC server, and I think it has less options than RealVNC, and that might be why it has been easier for some people to setup. There are less options for you to mess with, so less chance that you're going to configure something that creates a problem for aVNC on your Playbook.

Once you get the two working together (a VNC client on your Playbook and a VNC server on your computer) when you're at home (or work) and both devices are on the same network, then you have to get all of the port forwarding configured on your router so that when you go down to the coffee shop with your Playbook and get on their Wifi network, you can still connect (from the internet the time) back into your home (or work) network and control your computer remotely. If port forwarding and such is not configured properly then aVNC will not work when you head out into the world and are not at home (or work) on your own network.

This extra difficulty (configuring the port forwarding and such) is what stumps so many people and that is why I recommend that if you're not network savvy, meaning you don't know how to reconfigure your router yourself, then you should probably just scrap VNC altogether and try RDM+ on both your Playbook and your Computer together.

RDM+ uses Servers on the internet (owned by Shape Services) to facilitate the communication between your playbook and your computer, so you don't have to worry about any port forwarding or any other changes to your router configuration. You just install it, follow the simple directions, and it works! Not only does it work if you're at home, but it also works if you're down the street at the coffee shop.

RDM+ is a tad bit more expensive than VNC, but it is still only $9.99 and to avoid the headaches of having to learn about port forwarding and such it is probably worth much more than that. You can waste hours and hours trying to get VNC working properly if you don't know what you're doing. Also, RDM+ gives you some capabilities that you just don't get with either of the currently available VNC clients for Playbook, including all kinds of special key presses, like TAB and CapsLock for example, and it also lets you right click with the mouse, which aVNC still doesn't support..

Hope this was helpful..
    fnf_fiasco likes this.
    08-12-11 12:39 PM
    I was just doing some browsing and this is what I stubbled upon

aVNC...................vs....................IMT VNC
    Multi Server Profiles......................Single Profile
    Active/Inactive Mode.....................Cant disable screen input
    No right mouse click ability.............Right and left button click
    Single Ctrl Alt Del key input............Separate Ctrl, Alt, and Shift keys.
    .................................................I n addition to Ctrl Alt Del Key input
    Can hide controls..........................Can't hide controls
    Better Zoom via pinch....................Fit and zoom only
    Easier Pan of zoom screen..............Mouse only pans the screen
    via two finger jesture.
    Help screen

The connection options are presently the same for encoding, and color depth, but aVNC has adjustable compression, where as I see no option for that that in IMT VNC.

So if you need Right click on a mouse now and can't wait, you might want to give IMT VNC a try until the next release of aVNC comes out with better mouse control.

Now if I could get both these developers to build an RDP client to connect to Windows Servers I would be pretty happy guy. Add GoToMeeting, and Skype, and I would have a pretty good set of tools and could leave the notebook at home.

@ Mojoski

Well from what your saying RDM+ is the way to go. I am not that good at router configuration but I have some friends that could help. Is is possible I can install both RDM and aVNC on my playbook, and then Tight VNC and RDM Desktop on the main server?
    08-12-11 12:52 PM
    I don't know of any reason why you shouldn't be able to use them both on the same machines..

One other thing RMD+ gives you is the ability to ignore the fact that your home machine might have a dynamic IP address on the internet.. I had to setup a DynDNS.org account and install an IP Updater client on my PC at home so when the IP address changes, the DNS servers get updated and I can still make a connection.

Honestly, other than the $6 difference in price, I can't see any downside to using RDM+ instead of VNC. The current VNC options are also insecure, so your server password is sent over the internet in plaintext.. Never a good thing. My understanding is that all communications with RDM+ is properly encrypted. I might just have to try it myself for that reason alone.
    08-12-11 01:04 PM
    Just as an update, I did send them a comment via the form on their website. Here's what I sent them:
    Hello,

I'm a user of your aVNC product and I'm quite fond of it. I know you've had some interactions with RIM that have caused some frustration with their processes and this has most likely delayed development on the PlayBook platform.

As I really like aVNC what I'm proposing is that you allow me to tweak the existing code base to include some of the features users have been asking for.

I will not release any source code provided to me nor will I build it into a signed app. I would make the changes and test with a debugging key, then supply the changes back to you to be submitted to app world.

I'm offering this as I use aVNC quite a bit and hate having to toggle between two vnc apps just to right click. I'm sure you'd get a few more sales out of the deal as well, people like your app, but some of the shortcomings keep them from raving about it to other PB users.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

-HaTaX-
    So far, I haven't gotten any response back and I doubt I will. Still on their website they say they do development for multiple platforms, so I would assume that they would still like business from customers. Picking and choosing who you respond to though doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies about doing business with them.

Anyone here think that RIM should consider pulling their application as there seems to be no response from the support team whatsoever from the users here? Possibly that would get a response from them, and if not, at least people won't waste money on the application assuming they'll get right click ability in a "future update."
    08-13-11 04:10 PM
    Really needs a left click option for use with Windows.
    Pretty good other than that.
    08-15-11 09:04 AM
    so have they come up for a way for this to work for mac using os lion???? becuase i get it to connect but only when im local and im stuck at the login screen all it does is take control of the mouse i see it move on my monitor yet on the playbook screen frozen on the login still helppppppp!!!!!! this is horrible
    09-19-11 01:45 AM
159 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD