Modem = SMC Networks model SMC8014 (via Comcast) -- >
    Well, let's take this one step at a time.. We can worry about VPNs once we get the basics working..

The first thing we need to do, Just_Kris, is make sure traffic can get in through your cable modem and into your Linksys router. From the research i have done, it looks like you will need to configure port forwarding on your SMC8014 cable modem. Here are some high level instructions on how that usually works with this modem. I've never seen this modem, so I will be of limited help. But if you figured out how to do it for your Linksys router, you can do this one as well. Same concepts apply..

1. Figure out internal ip of cable modem
    2. Get yourself online in your office and point your web browser at that ip
    3. Log into cable modem interface and add port forwarding config

The main issue I think you might run into is finding the name and password for the router that Comcast set it up with. You might have to call them to get that. If you do call them, you might tell them you're trying to setup VNC and ask if the will do the port forwarding for you. They might be willing to since you are a business class customer.

If they won't, just try to figure out the name and password and you can do it yourself by following these basic instructions..

The Default Port Forwarding Guide for the SMC SMC8014 - PortForward.com

You will be forwarding the port to the ip address of your Linksys router. The Linksys will then forward the traffic to your PC. I don't think your switch needs to be taken into account here, so the final config will be like this:

Outside VNC client -> SMC cable modem -> Linksys Router -> VNC server on your PC

If anyone thinks I'm wrong about the switch, please speak up. I have a hub in my house and not a switch, so I could be wrong..

Hope this is helpful and makes sense, Just_Kris. Let us know what happens!
    05-17-11 06:13 PM
    Seems mine is finally working after the upgrade today. Excellent! I'm having a hard time moving around and actually being functional, but I'm sure it will get better with more upgrades. Great job!

And just so everyone knows, if you're trying to connect to a Mac (running OS X 10.4 or later) you do not need to download any special vnc software as server capabilities are built in.
    05-17-11 07:55 PM
    Oh, and I was able to create separate profiles for when I am within my home network and when I am away. Both work great.
    05-17-11 07:56 PM
    I also wasn't able to get it working originally with my iMac, and now it works great. This is a great app. Thanks a ton!!
    05-17-11 09:31 PM
    Is this PlayBook client compatible with RealVNC servers, including their encryption?

My office is a RealVNC shop but it would make my day to use the PlayBook to access it!
    I'm trying to make it work with Real vnc at the moment but no luck yet
    05-17-11 09:50 PM
    I'm trying to make it work with Real vnc at the moment but no luck yet
    Yep it is, no right click, but it does work otherwise..

Tim
    05-17-11 10:32 PM
    Just updated to 1.7. Very nice work!
    05-18-11 04:36 AM
    Got 1.7. Liking the changes so far (minus the lack of right-click for now).

One problem though. Abotu half the time i try to two-finger swipe to pan around i get disconnected from the server, be it TightVNC or RealVNC (Well, the screen says "Disconnect", but my computer shows its connected, but I can't do/see anything in aVNC, so I manually disconnect after that).

Thoughts?
    05-18-11 11:28 AM

One problem though. Abotu half the time i try to two-finger swipe to pan around i get disconnected from the server, be it TightVNC or RealVNC (Well, the screen says "Disconnect", but my computer shows its connected, but I can't do/see anything in aVNC, so I manually disconnect after that).

Thoughts?
    I had the same issue for about 10 minutes then it has yet to reappear.
    05-18-11 11:33 AM

Thoughts?
    I've been using v1.7 quite a bit over the last few days and haven't seen this issue at all.. Weird..
    05-18-11 03:55 PM
    I also had the disconnect occur as well. In my case it seemed to happen when panning the view left to right.
    05-18-11 05:47 PM
    Panning was pretty sluggish in my case. And I did get the disconnect issue.

The screen goes black with just the word disconnect in the middle.

Other than that, it seemed to work good (as long as I turned off encryption in RealVNC server).
    05-19-11 08:20 AM
    Panning was pretty sluggish in my case. And I did get the disconnect issue.

The screen goes black with just the word disconnect in the middle.

Other than that, it seemed to work good (as long as I turned off encryption in RealVNC server).
    Try the UltraVNC if you can, seems to work for me.
    05-19-11 08:23 AM
    Try the UltraVNC if you can, seems to work for me.
    I need to use it for my machines at work which is all RealVNC. The issue isn't the server, its just that AiFlex hasn't finished encryption support yet. They're working on it. Of course the update will probably take weeks to get through RIM to app world, but thats another topic

How is UVNC these days? I used it a few years ago but moved on to a commercial product because UVNC was too unstable.
    05-19-11 10:13 AM
    I need to use it for my machines at work which is all RealVNC. The issue isn't the server, its just that AiFlex hasn't finished encryption support yet. They're working on it. Of course the update will probably take weeks to get through RIM to app world, but thats another topic

How is UVNC these days? I used it a few years ago but moved on to a commercial product because UVNC was too unstable.
    Using the 1.0.8.2 release from Dec 2009, I have not had many problems, but just using it on my home net and not worried about encryption for my Intranet TEN-DOTS. My wife trusts me.

There is a new release for Win32 and X64 1.0.9.6 from April 2011 and am going to upgrade to it in the next week or so. Will keep you posted.
    05-19-11 10:21 AM
    Latest ultraVNC works just fine. It is all we use here at work.
    05-19-11 10:39 AM
    I need a bit of help, i have all my ports forwarded, the right ip, the server setup, the app setup. But when i go to connect to my laptop it tells me there is a setting issue. so i changed the setting made sure my ports were right made sure my router didn't lie to me again and wipe the forwarding. still to no avail, i've tried every color/encoding setting configuration there is. i tried ports 5900,5800, and 5500, 5500 was the only one to get a response on my laptop screen. any help would be appreciated. verizon dsl with a actiontec gt724-wg router.

im doing alot of downloading on it and would love to use it to manage my downloads while im not at the system but still in wifi.
    Last edited by drethos; 05-19-11 at 02:25 PM.
    05-19-11 02:17 PM
    Hi. Thank you for making us aware of the disconnect point we are looking into it. Right click is not in version 1.7 but is in version 2.0 that we are submitting to blackberry in the next few days. I thank you for your patience and we are working hard on aVNC and our other products.
    05-19-11 06:39 PM
    Hello I just purchased it today, but I absolutely know nothing on how to configue it. I'm a bit confused.

I downloaded the free RealVNC, and DL it, but when I run it, a small black screen pops up, and disappears instantly (ConFig Screen I think)

Is there any other free vnc's other then RealVNC that I can download for my PC? I heard on CB about TightVNC.
    05-23-11 04:52 PM
    I got 1.7 a few days ago and made it work with my MAC.

The key to make it work was not to use the different Encodes (actually anyone works) the issue with the MAC was that we have to use Color 16 or 32 bits. When using 8 bits does not work at all.

Great app.

I have two requests
    1.- could we have gateway in the future? (I can not connect from the office)
    2.- What about "save password"?

3????? What about creating app to see my IP cameras? similar protocols, no?
    (please?) I will buy it.
    05-23-11 07:52 PM
    Also getting the Disconnect problem with v1.7. Got it multiple times today. Hoping it'll be fixed in v2.0

Also am finding when using 2 fingers to scroll around, you don't have precise control of the screen. For example if I scroll to the left, it'll go past where I want it to go. So I scroll back to the right and it goes past again. Am unable to simply move it directly to the portion of the screen I want to. This happens on multiple servers.
    Also pinch to zoom doesn't zoom in on the spot that you're zooming in on.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    Last edited by phantom189; 05-27-11 at 03:22 PM.
    05-27-11 11:42 AM
    Also am finding when using 2 fingers to scroll around, you don't have precise control of the screen. For example if I scroll to the left, it'll go past where I want it to go. So I scroll back to the right and it goes past again. Am unable to simply move it directly to the portion of the screen I want to. This happens on multiple servers.
    Also pinch to zoom doesn't zoom in on the spot that you're zooming in on.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    Yes. The scrolling is very slow and overshoots where you move it to. It seems like the problem is worse if the remote screen is more complex or updating frequently (i.e. a lot of motion), leading me to think that aVNC is having a hard time doing refreshes and scrolling at the same time. He may be running into some limitations in the current platform.

If that's the issue, I wouldn't be opposed to having the remote screen refreshes freeze while scrolling or zooming.
    05-27-11 08:42 PM
    Is anyone having the trouble if they vnc into their workstation and then RDP into a w2k8 server using the native pb keyboard it results in failed authentication? If i bring up the accessibility on-screen keyboard on the w2K8 server i can login fine.
    05-30-11 04:44 PM
    When is the update with the Right Click option going to hit App World?

Tim
    Mojoski likes this.
    05-30-11 04:53 PM
    I've been wondering that myself!!

When is the update with the Right Click option going to hit App World?

Tim
    05-31-11 03:32 PM
159 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD