Has anyone else looked into this? The reason I ask, is that I want to look into developing a native sdk audio player that can decode flac and other codecs. Does anyone know if anything in QNX/Playbook would prevent me from embedding a trimmed down version of libFLAC within the app to decode the stream?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
    joski likes this.
    03-28-12 09:10 AM
    SHN decoding would be great as well!
    03-28-12 10:58 AM
    Can't think of any reason it wouldn't be possible, but a better place to ask is:
    Native SDK for BlackBerry Tablet OS - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    03-28-12 07:07 PM
    Thanks,

I will be posting on their forums as well. I asked here first because I noticed that RIM rarely answers on the dev forum.

I will also try a few simple embeded file decodes, and see if I can get it to work. If it does work, I may need some help in throwing together a UI for the player.

Thanks,

Dan
    03-29-12 08:28 AM
    FLAC support would be amazing. Something with EQ, visualizations, DSP, etc. Cloud support, etc.

Playbook users are waiting with their wallets open....
    03-29-12 10:17 AM
    Cross compiling the libFLAC decoder is actually really easy, I was able to get a FLAC file playing with a couple days of experimenting.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to go further. Only 2 weeks and I graduate from school so maybe I can put something better together soon.
    04-03-12 12:43 AM
    Cross compiling the libFLAC decoder is actually really easy, I was able to get a FLAC file playing with a couple days of experimenting.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to go further. Only 2 weeks and I graduate from school so maybe I can put something better together soon.
    I am new to QNX and the NDK, How did you port libFLAC? Any pointers would be appreciated so as to not re-create the wheel .

Normally I would be running in a shell, and run ./configure. Is the shell available?

Thanks,

Dan
    04-03-12 10:33 AM
    I am new to QNX and the NDK, How did you port libFLAC? Any pointers would be appreciated so as to not re-create the wheel .

Normally I would be running in a shell, and run ./configure. Is the shell available?

Thanks,

Dan
    Actually i just took the decoder files and put them in a momentics project. figured out the right stuff to define and managed to get it. worked fine.

i did it without ogg support though, will need to fix that at some point.

i can put the project up on github later if you like.
    04-03-12 06:33 PM
    Actually i just took the decoder files and put them in a momentics project. figured out the right stuff to define and managed to get it. worked fine.

i did it without ogg support though, will need to fix that at some point.

i can put the project up on github later if you like.
    Thank you, That would be great. My daughter works in the software development field as well, and is designing and building the UI. My plan is to start simple, one or two codecs, and work my way up to something that would support all major audio formats. Then add video support.

I Looked at VLC, but feel that fresh start would make for a smaller build overall, one specifically designed for the Playbook.

Dan
    04-04-12 08:09 AM
    Oh yes please... dying for some FLAC-love on my PB (re: shn, I recall hearing about some licensing issues preventing it being available on players... maybe through the rockbox team.)
    05-02-12 10:07 PM
    >> https://github.com/asimonov-rim/flac

libflac already supports QNX and has done so for a long time. So the port (done by RIM) above only involves adding a build script (build_for_playbook.sh)

libflac, ogg, vorbis, libcdio, libtiff, libmad, libass, bzip2, libmodplug, libmpeg2 and heaps of other stuff has already been officially ported by RIM. Everything you need, is on github: https://github.com/asimonov-rim/

As for the UI, again these exist. Just pick any random opensource Qt-based music player and it'll work.
    Last edited by xsacha; 05-02-12 at 10:50 PM.
    05-02-12 10:28 PM
    Actually I have already submitted a simple Flac player program to Appworld 3 weeks ago and have been "Waiting for test house" ever since.. It doesn't seem like they are very interested in it though. I wasn't expecting them to approve it right away, but I thought that I would have at least gotten some feedback by now..

I ported libFlac myself - if I had known that they have already done it, it would have probably made things a little bit easier..
    primusd likes this.
    05-03-12 05:38 AM
    Actually I have already submitted a simple Flac player program to Appworld 3 weeks ago and have been "Waiting for test house" ever since.. It doesn't seem like they are very interested in it though. I wasn't expecting them to approve it right away, but I thought that I would have at least gotten some feedback by now..

I ported libFlac myself - if I had known that they have already done it, it would have probably made things a little bit easier..

Looks like its finally approved - http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=722662 -- good first effort. Looking forward to some tag support + also better folder/file view management. Thanks Tomas!
    05-08-12 11:05 PM
    Looks like its finally approved - http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=722662 -- good first effort. Looking forward to some tag support + also better folder/file view management. Thanks Tomas!
    Thanks, yes it got approved the day after I emailed RIM dev support... I don't know what the hold up was...

Wow, it didn't take you very long to find it - I put it up on app world only an hour or two before your post!
    05-09-12 06:52 PM
    It would be nice if someone developed the means to have the playback be used as a true digital front-end to a USB DAC for higher-end audio playback.
    05-09-12 10:18 PM
    Currently USB Host is disabled.
    05-09-12 10:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD