All,
    With the possiblity of some good deals on black friday, I am considering joining the playbook owner world but I have some questions on whether it will meet my wants/needs in its current state. In my current job I do a good bit of air travel and in some cases there is not an entertainment system on the aircraft. With that being said.....

1) are there apps where I can download current tv shows or movies to watch when I travel?
    2) Is it costly or a big deal to download the above mentioned items?
    3) Does the ereader app (kobo I think) have a pretty good selection of books?
    4) Does the GPS setup work well to reliably use in a vehicle?

That is really all I need to know. I am just looking for something to entertain me for when I travel or when I am sitting at home and don't want to fire up my company laptop just to surf the net.

Thanks in advance

-Lee
    11-10-11 09:34 PM
    Depending on your druthers, you can download content from various sources like tv shows and load them on your pb. Rim is supposedly going to create a media store or something like that but I don't believe it's there yet.

The kobo reader is apparently having problems at this time and folks are running into problems. Also their support is apparently not very responsive.

I don't believe that there are any voice prompting gps programs. Folks have had issues with the gps but mine generally locks on.
    11-10-11 11:32 PM
    i suspect that the situation is similar with a 7" Android tablet. You have to find places to download the type of video you like. I record everything with Windows Media Center, convert the shows & copy them to my Playbook. You can also rip DVDs & download lots of video on the net.

It remains to be seen how much of that you can do with the Kindle Fire because it has such limited storage space.

Kobo is probably good enough, but i have only used it a little.

I have a real GPS & have only used the Playbook GPS from a stationary location to find something close to me.
    11-11-11 12:50 AM
    your requirements will be met easily by the PB...the Kobo book has a good selection of books.

i bought my playbook in June and i have since stopped carrying my laptop about. music, video, internet, books all covered nicely by my PB
    11-11-11 01:33 AM
    1. No store, but content you download elsewhere can easily be pre-loaded. I wouldn't count on downloading in the field. You can also stream content if that's your thing.

2. No store, the Playbook acts as a drive, so no itunes to deal with.

3. Further to other answers about Kobo, there is another app that will read kindle format books....if you can get them.

4. If gps navigation is crucial to you, then the Playbook is not ready to be your one stop shop yet. If you can cope with using your phone for that, then now may be a good time to get the Playbook.
    11-11-11 02:53 AM
    An Asus or Samsung Android tablet fits your needs much better.
    1. No need to waste time converting movies. Excellent apps like Moboplayer support so many codecs, I haven't run into any video yet that it doesn't play.

2. You could copy movies directly to the device. However it is often more convenient to bring your movies in a thumb drive, SD card, or even an external drive. If you don't want to be bothered copying files, you can stream movies directly from a network share or even remotely using Plex streaming software.

3. For reading, Android ebook and PDF readers are superior in every way. You could run Kindle or ezPDF in the android app player, but I'm not so sure about the latter.

4. Google Maps and Navigation. Cached maps. Free turn by turn. Voice routing. Nothing can beat the convienience of finding the place or address and using the same app to navigate.
    11-11-11 03:27 AM
    Thanks everyone.
    GPS is not crucial at all. Just a nice to have if it works decent.

Biggest thing is I want something to play around with on the internet when sitting at home in the evenings and something that I can use for ereading or video entertainment if I am stuck on another aircraft for 15 hrs with no entertainment system like I had last Friday. That is why I was asking about tv shows/movies that I could download and playback
    11-11-11 06:10 PM
    Well I download from internet and wifi them to my Playbook to watch, or you can stream off the net using your playbook which is great as well.

Books I use Ebook reader and just read my converted pdfs in epub format

Gps, I've used megallan compass and it's pretty sweet works via blackberry bridge.

Hope that helps.
    11-11-11 06:52 PM
    If you want to download tv shows you watch at home, if you have tivo this can be done thru a pc. The same is with most tablets.
    11-11-11 07:53 PM
    GPS is not crucial at all. Just a nice to have if it works decent.
    Some people have troubles with the GPS, but those are either hardware issues (rare, but we hear about them here disproportionately), stray bugs (some definitely exist still), or users who don't understand GPS enough to sort out the several things you need to do to get it working (I think this actually covers the majority of the reported problem cases).

I've had three PlayBooks (passed one on, still have two) including the original I got in May. That one, it turns out, has some defect and the WiFi interferes with the GPS, leading to some crazy readings that can be off by hundreds of metres. With WiFi off it's perfect.

The other two units, one of which I still have, have flawless GPS, with rock-solid and accurate readings, including when I'm driving, and including with WiFi on.

I think the PlayBook GPS will eventually be seen as top-notch, once there are good apps to support it, once the 2.0 release is out (promised for February or so) with various bug fixes and improvements, and so long as you don't get a dud.
    11-11-11 08:13 PM
    All,
    With the possiblity of some good deals on black friday, I am considering joining the playbook owner world but I have some questions on whether it will meet my wants/needs in its current state. In my current job I do a good bit of air travel and in some cases there is not an entertainment system on the aircraft. With that being said.....

1) are there apps where I can download current tv shows or movies to watch when I travel?

That is really all I need to know. I am just looking for something to entertain me for when I travel or when I am sitting at home and don't want to fire up my company laptop just to surf the net.

Thanks in advance

-Lee
    I will answer according to your question.

1. there is no app as of yet, but you can convert your DVD or Blu-ray collection and transfer them to your future PB

2. mostly time consuming

3. I personally use an app called PlayEpud and convert a lot of my PDF books to Epud. works like a charm.

4. GPS i don't yet, still waiting for a good GPS app iether by RIM or a 3rd party.

hope you get a Playbook
    11-11-11 08:48 PM
    All,

-Lee
    1)No
    2)No
    3)Kobo is amazingly bad... It has stopped working over the last week amd literally don't know if its possinle to make a ereader app that sucks more than kobo.
    4)GPS...again its amazing...it will make you laugh when it shows you are somewhere in south china sea.

But then again, it has the on its dead bed flash..and I'm sure you will love it and think its the best if uou are a rim fanboy.
    11-11-11 09:49 PM
    1)..and I'm sure you will love it and think its the best if uou are a rim fanboy.
    LOL..While I do like my Blackberries, I don't think I am committed enough to be considered a fan boy.

Biggest plus to me on the PB is the bridge functionality for use outside of Wifi hotspots. I am not willing to look at anything that requires me to pick up another data plan. That is why I was curious if the PB would work for me in its current state.

I am still researching other wifi only tablets to see what they have to offer.
    11-12-11 08:03 AM
    You know the good and the bad. I would think kobo would fix their problem soon but who knows. Others have mentioned an epub reader and converting. There is no movie store yet but RIM is working on one but again copy and past, wifi transfer etc. some may need a conversion but only limited by space plus you can stream. GPS I don't know as I don't travel much and when I do I know where I'm going so no real need for that for me.

Up to you if you think it is right for you at this time or it is OK for you at this time but will be right for you when the big 2.0 comes.
    11-12-11 08:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD