I hope RIM doesn't hide behind the "why have apps when you have a full browsing experience" argument! IMO, the advantage of a tablet vs a laptop or desktop is having one click access to you apps that you need. Yes, I can go to hulu.com or abc.com or whatever.coma and bring up flash and it works great 9/10 times, but there is something to be said for the ease of just clicking on an icon and having every optino in front of me. We need more apps to be relevant, any other option is not acceptable on a tablet.
    04-21-11 03:54 PM
    might want to scratch hulu off your list
    04-21-11 03:57 PM
    As I've played with my Playbook the last day I find that I agree more and more. My reason is, I want to do things like read the Wall Street Journal, and not have to be in a wifi area to do it. I would love a WSJ app that downloaded each morning's paper, or Kindle even. Same for Gmail. I'm sure we'll start to see these kinds of tools as more users adopt the Playbook, but it would be nice for RIM to share some insight on anything that's presently in the works so we can get an idea of what's coming soon.
    04-21-11 03:59 PM
    actaully, the embedded code thing still works, cudos to the guy who figured that one out! i'm ok with no hulu, but netflix is a must.
    04-21-11 03:59 PM
    RIM isnt hiding behind it. A couple of posters have used that to defend the Playbook...

Apps are coming, the playbook is brand new.
    04-21-11 04:00 PM
    Apps will be here. Give it time, it's a brand new platform.
    04-21-11 04:02 PM
    I actually find it kind of funny that the you tube app is lags horribly but i go and use the browser to watch the same video it flies through with no problems
    04-21-11 04:09 PM
    agreed, I know it's new and i'm willing to grow with it. I'm just hoping the apps do come and we don't keep hearing that argument. Heard it multiple times before launch from pb product manager.
    04-21-11 04:14 PM
    My bet is that you will see major app improvements and a whole lot of new apps in the coming week(s).
    Since RIM is shipping out hundreds of free PlayBooks tomorrow, it's the first chance for many developers to get their hands on the device and improve their work (or finalize their larger projects - since I know developers who submitted only a small tool for the PB offer, because they knew, they wouldn't finish their main projekt in time).

To all the users out here: you have no clue how exhausting the development progress was partially. There were no clear user interface guidelines and the only app available in the device emulator was the browser as an prototype.

I already look forward to adjusting my apps to the look of the preinstalled RIM software next week...
    04-21-11 04:58 PM
    I actually find it kind of funny that the you tube app is lags horribly but i go and use the browser to watch the same video it flies through with no problems
    Actually i find the web browser access to youtube much superior. I attempt to find videos i have seen before on my desktop browser using the app on the playbook and get nothing from the search. Even when it does find the video, it often won't play. Same search using the Playbook web browser, not only does it find far more hits, it plays them very well.

So in my case, with this application in particular, web trumps the app. Hopefully, this application will get better, as i have tl agree, that clicking on an application dedicated to a particular function, is often preferred to going out to the web.
    04-21-11 05:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD