I wanted to use the Blackberry News App in The Netherlands.
    It is really simple, just add a free proxy from the US to the wireless-configuration of your Playbook. it is awesome! Now i can download all apps from the US! I had problems downloading the News app but after disabling proxy, it was still on my removed list on Appworld and i could download it!

http://aussecurity.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/how-to-set-blackberry-playbook-proxy/

I use proxy 173.203.109.204
    port 80
    and no password or username

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-11 01:40 PM
    Top man! Well done for posting this.

Cheers

Elcuolo
    06-17-11 03:23 PM
    Wait aren't you worried about the proxy server capturing your bb id password when you type it to use App World? I always assume whoever has set up the proxy can see any data sent through it.

06-17-11 04:08 PM
    It works, but it's slow. Are you having the same issue?
    06-17-11 04:15 PM
    That's all very well, but it seems to still need a proxy when using the app as well.

That is a lot of hassle for a news reader
    06-17-11 05:18 PM
    great stuff, used this to download blackberry news and it still works even after i switch back.

two fingers to RIM!
    06-18-11 04:21 AM
    it is slow indeed. just download the app and cancel it. then remove the proxy-settings and restart appworld. now you see the app in removed software and can you reinstall it again.

i like the newsapp!

06-18-11 04:30 AM
    That's all very well, but it seems to still need a proxy when using the app as well.

That is a lot of hassle for a news reader
    Doesn't appear to be the case for me - I put in the proxy so I could download the newsreader then deselected it and all is working fine on mine.....

As for the speed of the proxy - c'mon guys it is free - you can get a paid VPN to the US for about 6.25 per month but as most people only want to download a few apps it probably isn't worth it. Now if you were in the UK and wanted to watch some on demand US telly before it comes out over here........ that'd be different.
    Last edited by Elcuolo; 06-18-11 at 10:19 AM.
    06-18-11 10:12 AM
    Tested. Worked great. Managed to install Blackberry News for PB.
    Awesome
    06-18-11 12:32 PM
    Has anyone tried to get the podcast app using this mehtod? If so, does it work after you remove the proxy?
    06-20-11 04:11 AM
    Thanks for the tip! Works like a charm!

or in dutch: Bedankt voor de tip! werkt uitstekend!
    06-20-11 05:46 AM
    Excellent; just tried it and it worked. I looked for the podcast app but it doesn't seem to be a standalone app - it must just come as part of the OS (shame).
    06-20-11 08:02 AM
    why is it not working for me????!!!
    i got connected but no news app and no update to get face chat...im in uae..i used earlier a uae proxy which connected me but the apps didnt appear
    06-20-11 08:48 AM
    Well, I've played around with the app a bit now and the 'my news' section works well. It updates okay and I have been able to add feeds to it. However, the 'news library' doesn't seem to work at all. When I select it it goes into the spinning circle saying it is updating but never gets anywhere. Anyone else got this problem or am I missing something?
    06-20-11 01:04 PM
    what is the ssid?
    08-10-11 08:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD