With the phone remote bridge capabilities recently demonstrated at CES, I am wondering from developers what other things we might have in store, or what ideas people may have for RIM or developers.

My wish list includes: (thinking business)

1.dialing phone from playbook, placing calls via speakerphone

2. Call secretary - receiving calls from playbook, using mics and speakerphone, auto bring up of context details from contact manager of the caller...linking to emails from the caller for discussion, other relevant info - linkedIN profile - to do list and to do entry, note taking, journal log for the call, bring up cloud folder of relevant documents for the client - (box.net folder, drop box folder)

3- auto response message choices made in voice notes for when it cant be answered ( - I am driving I will call you back - I am in a meeting I will call you back...I will call you back in XX minutes - setting a reminder to do so))

4. converting the "phone remote" app to bluetooth, for accessing/viewing/controlling the phone via playbook (current app is wifi only)

5. Locate your phone from playbook - or visa versa- GPS location and audible alarm, flashing lights and screen - uses internet if bluetooth out of range ...

6. Battery monitor/alarm for phone on playbook, battery monitor/alarm for playbook on phone

7. Remote camera - view cam/take pics from playbook from phone takes pics from phone on playbook..

8. remote audio...baby monitor

I hereby claim all awards/royalties for these ideas....should a dev decide to accept the mission

Anything else anyone can think of or that developers have in the works related to the bridge??

Thanks
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-12-12 at 02:04 AM.
    01-12-12 01:52 AM
    Password keeper!!

Some good ones there BJ. Number 6 would be very handy.

Edit: and access to the phones "manage connections"
    Last edited by DD1968; 01-12-12 at 03:00 AM.
    01-12-12 02:55 AM
    @BJ So far only RIM and a less than a hand-full of 3rd party developers (e.g. Poynt Inc) have access to the Bluetooth profiles necessary to realize you exciting ideas. And as we discussed the other day, neither are there APIs that would allow a PB app to lurk in the background and activate when it receives a wake-up call on the Bluetooth channel or via WiFi.

Some developers have ideas that don't necessarily have the mass-appeal as the items in your list, but are nevertheless pretty neat in their own right.

Someday, far, far in the future (or perhaps later this year) my own app, What's up, will be able to communicate with a telescope via BT and tell it to aim itself at a particular celestial object. Or it could monitor the progress of the planet Mercury across the sky and also a weather service, and wake you from your early-morning slumber to tell you the sky is (probably) clear and the planet is up and that you only need to get yourself outside to see it.
    dentynefire likes this.
    01-12-12 08:04 AM
    I want an IM app that stays active in the background that is compatible with all except for the obvious.
    01-12-12 08:24 AM
    @BJ So far only RIM and a less than a hand-full of 3rd party developers (e.g. Poynt Inc) have access to the Bluetooth profiles necessary to realize you exciting ideas. And as we discussed the other day, neither are there APIs that would allow a PB app to lurk in the background and activate when it receives a wake-up call on the Bluetooth channel or via WiFi.

Some developers have ideas that don't necessarily have the mass-appeal as the items in your list, but are nevertheless pretty neat in their own right.

Someday, far, far in the future (or perhaps later this year) my own app, What's up, will be able to communicate with a telescope via BT and tell it to aim itself at a particular celestial object. Or it could monitor the progress of the planet Mercury across the sky and also a weather service, and wake you from your early-morning slumber to tell you the sky is (probably) clear and the planet is up and that you only need to get yourself outside to see it.
    I suspected that - I didn't know if that was still true.

What is up with that- do they want the Bridge all to themselves and not cluttered up with third party apps?

Any idea when this stuff might be released?

Are there already BT telescopes that are capable of this BTW? Have you heard of SBIG telescopes cameras btw if you are into that? It would also be cool to control the camera. I have worked for these people, and know them.

Might be interesting to propose a playbook app to them. sbig.com
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-12-12 at 10:36 AM.
    01-12-12 10:32 AM
    For me is basic that Android converted apps can use bridge internet conection
    and music store and appworld can also use brideg connection
    01-12-12 11:11 AM
    I suspected that - I didn't know if that was still true.

What is up with that- do they want the Bridge all to themselves and not cluttered up with third party apps?

Any idea when this stuff might be released?

Are there already BT telescopes that are capable of this BTW? Have you heard of SBIG telescopes cameras btw if you are into that? It would also be cool to control the camera. I have worked for these people, and know them.

Might be interesting to propose a playbook app to them. sbig.com
    I don't think that developers are being slighted or anything like that. It's more a matter of RIM wanting to do a lot of the groundwork and get their own inter-device communication and notification APIs working before extending the framework to third parties.

I think they are indeed worried about app clutter in this space: If they released half-baked API's prematurely and without considering all of the security implications then we would have a mess of ill-conceived 3rd party concoctions in place.

With reference to your question about telescopes with Bluetooth, the answer is yes. There are iOS app that already have this capability. Thanks for your suggestion - when time permits and the capability exists. Right now I've got lots of uninteresting and tedious things like porting my app to Java on my plate. In fact, my frequent visits to this place have a lot to do with my need to relieve the boredom.
    01-12-12 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD