I thought I ha left RIM products until the PB went on sale. So, I bought two; one is for me and one is for my mom. She's 44 and not very computer literate. What are some apps that she'll benefit from? Mostly offline use if possible.. I know Kobo is preloaded and will definitely be used. Any other mom-apps?
    12-16-11 06:10 PM
    I thought I ha left RIM products until the PB went on sale. So, I bought two; one is for me and one is for my mom. She's 44 and not very computer literate. What are some apps that she'll benefit from? Mostly offline use if possible.. I know Kobo is preloaded and will definitely be used. Any other mom-apps?
    Any interests you can share?
    12-16-11 06:58 PM
    You can try the Cooklet app and there are several shopping list apps.
    12-16-11 08:16 PM
    There is also a trial subscription base newspaper app called Pressreader. Also some easier card games like solitaire. Also conversion apps and timer apps.
    Last edited by NFLPLAYBOOK; 12-16-11 at 08:28 PM.
    12-16-11 08:25 PM
    Get the ol' bag a rocking chair and knitting needles!!!!

(stated by someone who could be her father!!!!)
    12-16-11 11:18 PM
    I was actually wondering this the other day for my Mum. She loves ebooks and games, so I'd just go through app world and pick out a bunch of free ones for her. I told my mum about the game "Bubble Birds" and she thought it sounded really "cute" lol Maybe also Tetris, Brain Cube HD, The Moron Challenge, Runik, Fruit Ninja Slash, and No Frills Sudoku are ones I'd pick for my mum anyways.

btw the incorrect-ness of your username is driving me crazy! lol
    12-16-11 11:41 PM
    I am close to your mother in age and have 10 year-old twins. The apps I use most often are Crackberry, News360, ConnectTile, Mahjong Legends, Cooklet, Shopping List, Plunk, and all the games by Munsie (these are all free right now). I hope this helps! Good luck!
    12-17-11 12:50 AM
    If I may suggest a RSS reader. With some simple setting up, your mother will be able to read headlines and articles from her fave news media, web or print based. Most good sites have a RSS feed too. The only APP I have ever really liked for the PB and used daily.

It may still be free too.

It is easy to use, it may just take a little understanding of what an RSS feed is though and how to get the RSS address to add to the APP.

Feed Wheel

Give it a shot.
    12-17-11 01:23 AM
    My mother and mother-in-law both enjoy playing SouthernTouch Spades.

Buy SouthernTouch Spades - Download SouthernTouch Spades - Buy Games from BlackBerry App World
    12-17-11 08:17 AM
    Okay well instead of offline apps here are some that require some WIFI.

Get her the Weather Eye- i know my mom is always concerned about the weather these days.

There are some good music apps that stream music via the internet- another good way to listen to some radio while on go.

- you could always sync her own music for her on the music player (i'm guessing your mother listens to music lol)

- as for games, try the ones mentioned above.

gluck
    12-17-11 10:14 AM
    I'm close to your mom's age and NO we are not dead yet, the PlayBook provides alot of different apps for all ages, regardless of what you might have read. I find that there is more than enough to do on a PlayBook especially the browser with the 7" screen size makes it easy to read compared to a phones screen. Oh yea we also like kiddie games we just keep that a secret
    FF22 and BuzzStarField like this.
    12-17-11 10:25 AM
    I'm close to your mom's age and NO we are not dead yet, the PlayBook provides alot of different apps for all ages, regardless of what you might have read. I find that there is more than enough to do on a PlayBook especially the browser with the 7" screen size makes it easy to read compared to a phones screen. Oh yea we also like kiddie games we just keep that a secret
    I agree with you 100%. But I would have started by saying "I'm close to your mom's age (plus 19 more years) and no we're not dead yet..."

BTW my app is specifically written for those under the age of 106 although I'm sure that there are few people outside that range who might enjoy it too!
    12-17-11 08:52 PM
    Thanks guys. This is very much appreciated and has helped me incredibly. Thank you.
    12-18-11 05:22 PM
    Well when I got a playbook for my mother I preloaded it with:
    - No Frills Sudoku
    - Tetris (pre-loaded)
    - Solodeck (solitaire)
    - Bejeweled
    - Photo Puzzle (stick some pictures of family, pets, etc in there)
    - Wordsearch XL

Hope this helps
    12-19-11 06:11 PM
    as a 44 year old male, not married, maybe I should take over on getting her up to speed . . .
    12-19-11 06:21 PM
    as a 44 year old male, not married, maybe I should take over on getting her up to speed . . .
    Lol.
    I think there's another section on CB for that
    12-19-11 07:34 PM
    Is it sad that I am older than his mom?
    12-19-11 10:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD