am i seeing this correctly

technically we have 15.7 GB

1gb is memory and 14.7 is storage

on winmo phones they have RAM the less thats left the slower the phone goes.

is it the same with my PB?

i currently have 552.6m out of 1gb
    and i notice when ever i add an app that number goes lower. basically i cant download a whole bunch of apps. plus if i do, wont it make the pb run slower if that number hits the 100 ?

some one explain it to me please.
    01-11-12 01:05 PM
    01-11-12 01:11 PM
    The ram and storage are 2 different things.
    With a 16g you have about 14.something of storage to yourself and the rest is used by the OS.
    We all have 1g of ram. The OS uses some of that and the rest is used to run apps. That number should go up and down depending on your use. If you see it too low when your not doing anything on the PB restart and you should get it back.
    That's a basic idea.
    Delirious D likes this.
    01-11-12 01:12 PM
    The ram and storage are 2 different things.
    With a 16g you have about 14.something of storage to yourself and the rest is used by the OS.
    We all have 1g of ram. The OS uses some of that and the rest is used to run apps. That number should go up and down depending on your use. If you see it too low when your not doing anything on the PB restart and you should get it back.
    That's a basic idea.
    are the apps taking up ram only when playing. but having them on my pb, its taken by the storage.

for example SCRAPBOOK is 8mb is that coming out of the storage or the ram?
    01-11-12 01:16 PM
    are the apps taking up ram only when playing. but having them on my pb, its taken by the storage.

for example SCRAPBOOK is 8mb is that coming out of the storage or the ram?
    That would be the storage.

The apps should be using memory(ram) when running. Your 500 number seems about right. I don't notice any difference in speed until the ram drops very low. That doesn't happen often. If you open a lot of apps you should see your memory drop a bit but when you close the apps it will go back up.
    Delirious D likes this.
    01-11-12 01:24 PM
    That would be the storage.

The apps should be using memory(ram) when running. Your 500 number seems about right. I don't notice any difference in speed until the ram drops very low. That doesn't happen often. If you open a lot of apps you should see your memory drop a bit but when you close the apps it will go back up.
    ok!! cool.... i would just notice as soon as i downloaded a new app the ram would go down. (even though wasnt open yet)

oooo.. so been deleting apps lol im such a dork lol... thank you
    01-11-12 01:29 PM
    You probably saw the memory go down from the OS working a bit harder to install the app or some other process. If you restart it will all come back.
    Delirious D likes this.
    01-11-12 01:52 PM
    Storage: this is like your filing cabinet/bookshelf where you keep all your files, apps, music, videos. They are kept there until you need them. The storage is 16GB (or 32 or 64, depending on the model). About 1GB of it is taken up by the OS.

RAM: this is like your desk. It's kept clean. Only active apps are there. They are loaded from the bookshelf and put on the desk when you run them, because it's much, much faster. Once you close the app, it's removed from the desk (from RAM). The RAM is 1GB, but the OS uses quite a lot of that. There rest is available for running apps. It doesn't matter how many apps you have installed, just how many (and which) apps you run simultaneously.
    01-11-12 04:57 PM
    Storage: this is like your filing cabinet/bookshelf where you keep all your files, apps, music, videos. They are kept there until you need them. The storage is 16GB (or 32 or 64, depending on the model). About 1GB of it is taken up by the OS.

RAM: this is like your desk. It's kept clean. Only active apps are there. They are loaded from the bookshelf and put on the desk when you run them, because it's much, much faster. Once you close the app, it's removed from the desk (from RAM). The RAM is 1GB, but the OS uses quite a lot of that. There rest is available for running apps. It doesn't matter how many apps you have installed, just how many (and which) apps you run simultaneously.
    nice analogy. love it thank. now i can go "shopping" for apps lol..
    01-11-12 05:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD