I see a growing theme here, where people downplay the need for apps, often citing the web browser as a replacement. I think that's unfortunate, as there are a lot of things you cannot do in a web browser. As an example, here's an app (Theodolite) that I used on my iPhone today while hiking:

There is an iPad version of the app too, but obviously it wouldn't make sense to carry an iPad around while hiking. A PlayBook would work great though, since it's an ideal size to slide in and out of a backpack pocket.

This is a perfect example of an app that would never work in the web browser, since it uses the camera, compass, gyro, GPS, etc, with OpenGL rendering for graphics. But aside from the hardware requirements, it would be stupid to think about needing internet access in the middle of the wilderness in order to load an app in a web browser. Tablets shouldn't have to be online in order to be functional.

I appreciate if people only use their PlayBook for lightweight stuff within wi-fi range and don't have a need for serious apps like Theodolite, but I think we will artificially be restricting the PlayBook to toy status if we don't acknowledge and demand real apps. It's important to understand that the web browser is *not* a general replacement for apps.
    07-15-11 11:59 PM
    it would be a little hard use the app you demoed with a wifi only tablet but that's just me.
    ericlc2 likes this.
    07-16-11 12:01 AM
    it would be a little hard use the app you demoed with a wifi only tablet but that's just me.
    What makes you think that? The PlayBook would be fully capable of it.
    07-16-11 12:06 AM
    So you would take a wifi only ipad hiking with you?
    07-16-11 12:11 AM
    Would it make a diff.? Depending on where you hike, there may be no 3/4G or WiFi anywhere...
    07-16-11 12:13 AM
    Would it make a diff.? Depending on where you hike, there may be no 3/4G or WiFi anywhere...
    Well I'm going to go out on a limb and say 3g/4g is more likely than wifi when you are hiking.

Wait... nevermind with the bridge browser the playbook would be more useful than a wifi only ipad.
    07-16-11 12:18 AM
    Apps are important for some. Others not so much. No conspiracy to down play apps. Just different preferences.
    07-16-11 12:19 AM
    ... "apps are important" - I totally agree... for apps that do only as website shortcut, yeah they are unnecessary... but for those programs or applications that requires more than websurfing, it is mandatory to have apps... without significant and valuable apps, tablets are just the lowered version of laptops...
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    07-16-11 12:20 AM
    To run an app that doesn't need wi-fi -- definitely. Many of the apps/games on my iOS devices that don't need network access to function.
    07-16-11 12:26 AM
    To run an app that doesn't need wi-fi -- definitely. Many of the apps/games on my iOS devices that don't need network access to function.
    so did the one you chose to make an example of playbook require no netwok access?
    07-16-11 12:32 AM
    Were you planing on blowing the mountain up with that thing or what?
    ericlc2 likes this.
    07-16-11 12:32 AM
    The title should read a very small percentage of apps are important. The vast majority of apps are utterly pointless if you have a good browser. Kinda like the PB having a you tube app pre installed. Its redundant, I used the app a few times and it just plain sucks compared to the actual site that loads fine from the browser. Videos actually load a lot faster in the browser. Even in bridge browser.

The only reason at all to have it is because the browser don't have tab multi tasking and now not even that is an issue since I can just open up 3 browsers at once and use each individual browser as a tab. Does anyone with a PB honestly use the you tube app?

Useful apps are great to have. And there are a lot of useful apps out there, But lets be honest here most of them are just web content. I have bookmarks for that. Don't need to download an app to display a web site. At least you shouldn't
    Last edited by Witmen; 07-16-11 at 01:04 AM.
    quellerie and chiefbroski like this.
    07-16-11 12:34 AM
    The title should read a very small percentage of apps are important. The vast majority of apps are utterly pointless if you have a good browser. Kinda like the PB having a you tube app pre installed. Its redundant, I used the app a few times and it just plain sucks compared to the actual site that loads fine from the browser. Videos actually load a lot faster in the browser. Even in bridge browser.

The only reason at all to have it is because the browser don't have tab multi tasking and now not even that is an issue since I can just open up 3 browsers at once and use each individual browser as a tab. Does anyone with a PB honestly use the you tube app?

Useful apps are great to have. And there are a lot of useful apps out there, But lets be honest here most of them are just web content. I have bookmarks for that. Don't need to download an app to display a web site. At least you shouldn't
    see that is the problem, its a ****ty app RIM made real quick to get by and its half baked. If they made the app right and have all the features it could really be nice and replace the web and make it easier to find what you want.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    07-16-11 04:30 AM
    What makes you think that? The PlayBook would be fully capable of it.
    Nope. There is no access to the PB's magnetometer yet . PB is missing a whole range of point-and-view augmented reality apps such as the one the OP posted.

I would love it if my app could compete on a level playing field. If the compass were accessible, it would take less than an hour to turn my "deficient" app into a worthy rival of Google's Sky Map and several remarkable apps available on iPad.

As it is, I can't justify charging more that $0.99 for an app that took months to bring to market. Sad when you consider that I was counting on RIM to deliver fully functional hardware.

I'm a patient person but lack of firmware support is driving me nuts.
    07-16-11 06:43 AM
    Ah, ha, outside Sandy, Utah? Alta. Looks like nice terrain. Without the minus, I found you were somewhere in China!
    Last edited by F2; 07-16-11 at 09:21 AM.
    Gregory Ryan likes this.
    07-16-11 09:19 AM
    Nope. There is no access to the PB's magnetometer yet . PB is missing a whole range of point-and-view augmented reality apps such as the one the OP posted.

I would love it if my app could compete on a level playing field. If the compass were accessible, it would take less than an hour to turn my "deficient" app into a worthy rival of Google's Sky Map and several remarkable apps available on iPad.

As it is, I can't justify charging more that $0.99 for an app that took months to bring to market. Sad when you consider that I was counting on RIM to deliver fully functional hardware.

Off topic, but I love your app and I am looking forward to some sweet updates once RIM makes those APIs available

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    07-16-11 09:26 AM

I am in agreement with you there -- I am a developer myself, and I know the Theodolite developer (met him at a conference recently). We talked about the poor market economics of developing for the PlayBook, but he made the observation that economics are a moot point right now -- developers can't do apps like this even if they wanted to.
    07-16-11 09:55 AM
    so did the one you chose to make an example of playbook require no netwok access?
    Yes, I guess I need to be more explicit about that. I thought it was obvious. That app is all about the sensors, camera, and GPS.
    07-16-11 09:58 AM
    personally i need news apps..from bloomberg to time mobile, fluent, etc. pb has news360. the rest is just google readers (meant for gmail users = android hehe)
    unfortunately the bb news app is still US only?
    07-16-11 10:33 AM
    Oh god, now I know why apps are so important!

They invented the digital compass! Technology like this thats been around for years NEEDS to come to the playbook otherwise stupid devs won't have low value apps to make!

Nice gimmick though.

No one said apps aren't important.
    07-16-11 03:57 PM
    Oh god, now I know why apps are so important!

They invented the digital compass! Technology like this thats been around for years NEEDS to come to the playbook otherwise stupid devs won't have low value apps to make!

Nice gimmick though.
    I can't tell if you're being condescending or you're just ignorant (or maybe both). That app can replace a $5K piece of surveying equipment (and then some). Obviously not everyone can appreciate/understand that, but it's a big deal for those of us who do. RIM courted that developer earlier in the year, so they seem to understand the value too. It would be a huge feather in the PlayBook's cap, especially amongst the pro crowd -- surveyors, architects, construction, first responders, military, etc. This is just one example though; there are many others.
    Last edited by dfg912; 07-16-11 at 04:17 PM.
    07-16-11 04:12 PM
    I'm with the op apps are really important... without apps there would be no motivation for me to buy a tablet at all... I would rather buy a notebook or something like that. Many company's have tried to make tablets in the past it never worked... And I think the applications is one big factor that completely changed the game...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    07-16-11 04:24 PM
    personally i need news apps..from bloomberg to time mobile, fluent, etc. pb has news360. the rest is just google readers (meant for gmail users = android hehe)
    unfortunately the bb news app is still US only?
    Why don't just go straight to the web sites? They work great on the PB.
    ericlc2 likes this.
    07-16-11 04:27 PM
    I believe that web shortcuts are great. For example, on my device, I prefer a web shortcut to Wikipedia. It's safe, and easy to access.

However, there is a valid use of apps that goes beyond aesthetics. I manage social networks for my job, on the go. Do I visit each network to update, or do I just use Seesmic to update all? I rely on Dropbox, HanDBase, Quickoffice and YouVersion as work tools.

For me, apps are indispensable. Each of these (or decent alternatives) are/were available on BlackBerry, but there are a whole lot more that are not, and these do affect purchase decisions.

"Just use the web" doesn't cut it.
    07-16-11 06:48 PM
    Why don't just go straight to the web sites? They work great on the PB.
    news360 aggregates news update from 50 sources. do i have to go to 50 websites? no. and then you got guardian or the independent or time mobile or bloomberg news app. very quick, simple, categorised. easier than browsing, really.
    just like using tapatalk vs using browser for forums.
    the news apps at my torch is good (xprss, social feeds, bloomberg, nytimes mobile, etc) and perfectly happy with it. if only those can be ported to pb
    07-16-11 07:04 PM
108 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD