There are a large number of applications in App World now, many of them are garbage, many are not even apps. Over the last few months I have tried a number of them. A small few have become so essential that I use them every day. They include:

Book Reader
    Files and Folders
    BlackBerry News
    Blaq
    Groovy Notes
    Magellan Compass
    Poynt
    Splashtop

And the newest - Pdf Reader

In retrospect wouldn't it have been awesome if PlayBook had come with all these great programs installed. It is also interesting to note that all of these are native apps, in fact the whole android this was a huge disappointment, they are buggy or don't work at all and always seem to be inferior to native apps.

It is also interesting to see how great some of developers have been as members of this community. They go out of their way to address concerns and are very responsive to requests etc.

What apps are essential to you?
    Last edited by BBplaybookJS; 06-13-12 at 06:08 AM.
    Innovatology likes this.
    06-12-12 09:04 PM
    These are a few of my favorite things:

Crackberry
    Geereaderpro
    Splashtop
    Lan file explorer
    Groovynotes
    Smartoffice2
    Bluebox
    Qpdf notes
    Clock xr
    What's up
    Stellarium
    Simple browser
    Weathereye
    Uber iris
    Facebook
    Blaq
    Tweetbook
    Poynt
    Mapsearch for google
    Rebuild (game)
    Stock pulse
    Ottawa citizen
    Globe news
    Kobo books
    Zinio
    Files & folders

I've got a lot of dumb stuff too.
    Innovatology likes this.
    06-12-12 10:33 PM
    Score Mobile
    The Hockey News
    Vancouver Sun
    Globe and Mail
    Wikipedia
    Poynt
    BeWeather
    Stellarium
    Solar Explorer
    Morphwiz
    NodeBeat
    Relaxbook Nature
    CFL Mobile
    Vimeo
    spatialmongrel likes this.
    06-12-12 11:19 PM
    It is also interesting to note that all of these are native apps, in fact the whole android this was a huge disappointment, they are buggy or don't work at all and always seem to be inferior to native apps
    The Androidplayer is and will contribute to the number of apps in Appworld, which is important for RIM to succeed. In addition android apps are just as good (or bad) as native apps. Do you also complain in a forum, about the kiosk around the corner that they sell newspapers you don't wanna read. I guess not, so why complain now. Just share your positive experiences.

Have a nice day
    joski and bitek like this.
    06-13-12 05:28 AM
    The Androidplayer is and will contribute to the number of apps in Appworld, which is important for RIM to succeed. In addition android apps are just as good (or bad) as native apps. Do you also complain in a forum, about the kiosk around the corner that they sell newspapers you don't wanna read. I guess not, so why complain now. Just share your positive experiences.

Have a nice day
    I would have to disagree with you. PlayBook does not need android apps, or the Android player which is also problematic, any more than it needs fart apps or thousands of ebooks masquerading as apps. What it needs is a few quality apps to perform the functions it does not already come equipped to do.
    tour_ism likes this.
    06-13-12 06:27 AM
    I would have to disagree with you. PlayBook does not need android apps, or the Android player which is also problematic, any more than it needs fart apps or thousands of ebooks masquerading as apps. What it needs is a few quality apps to perform the functions it does not already come equipped to do.
    I would disagree with your point of view, everyone has different needs and perspective with apps. You might not be using any android apps but for people like me, I do.

For example, kindle is still my top book reader though the book reader in playbook is good too. I simply prefer kindle's layout and ease of use.

I use tweetcaster for android as my main android app because it has all the functions (like send to Instapaper, retrieve tweetlonger) I need, in which, Blaq and other native twitter apps yet to have. Though I am waiting patiently for Blaq to add in the functions.

Manga watcher, tapatalk too, just to name a few of my favourite android apps running in my playbook.

My most used apps are:
    Tweetcaster for android
    Simple Browser
    GeeReader
    UberIris
    Amazon Kindle
    Tapatalk
    Facebook
    Manga Watcher
    Air Browser
    Flick Note (android, can sync with my simplenote cloud)
    ScoreMobile
    Scramble with friends (android game)
    Radiant Defense by Hexage (native game)
    06-13-12 07:30 AM
    IMHO, your rant is problematic and your argument is neither logical nor convincing. You compare a particular runtime environment with a particular class of applications and come to the conclusion that App World sucks. Similar arguments have been used to "prove" that RIM also made a big mistake in supporting Adobe AIR development.

In order to illustrate my point, I offer an argument which is constructed along the same lines as your post:

"PlayBook does not need AIR apps, or the Adobe AIR cross-platform runtime which is also problematic, any more than it needs fart apps or thousands of ebooks masquerading as apps. What it needs is a few quality apps to perform the functions it does not already come equipped to do."

If your post is accepted as a valid argument, then I would have to agree that my app does not contribute positively to App World's catalog. And I am not prepared to accept any such nonsense.
    joski, sashlon and Sith_Apprentice like this.
    06-13-12 08:02 AM
    Buzz, I thought of you when I read this thread last night - I'm glad you chimed in. I thought of you though because your app is incredible (gets better with every update) and you're from Toronto, I'm from London, so it's nice to know great developers aren't far away. I read the thread though, and I'm not an astronomer by any means but was extremely surprised to not see your app listed, which suggested--to me--that based on the OP, your app was "garbage" which is definitely not the case.

I'll admit, in regular conversation, I have no filter. However, when it comes to saying things like in the OP, those are things better left unsaid because you'll definitely misstep. I understand the Android argument, but the "these are good apps, the rest are garbage" thing wasn't necessary. People have different preferences. There are a lot of developers in this forum that could take offense to what you said. Not even a New York City firefighter deserves to say things like that.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    06-13-12 08:37 AM
    This thread makes me yawn! It's all depending on your personal preference.
    spatialmongrel and rcm1301 like this.
    06-13-12 10:13 AM
    IMHO, your rant is problematic and your argument is neither logical nor convincing. You compare a particular runtime environment with a particular class of applications and come to the conclusion that App World sucks. Similar arguments have been used to "prove" that RIM also made a big mistake in supporting Adobe AIR development.

In order to illustrate my point, I offer an argument which is constructed along the same lines as your post:

"PlayBook does not need AIR apps, or the Adobe AIR cross-platform runtime which is also problematic, any more than it needs fart apps or thousands of ebooks masquerading as apps. What it needs is a few quality apps to perform the functions it does not already come equipped to do."

If your post is accepted as a valid argument, then I would have to agree that my app does not contribute positively to App World's catalog. And I am not prepared to accept any such nonsense.
    I do not see any gaps in my logic. I have not tried every android app available but every one I have has worked very poorly or not at all. I'm sorry if you take offence with this statement or feel it insults your work. Perhaps your application is the exception that works perfectly, but it comes too late for me. I have no need of android apps or Android tablets in fact I wish there was a way to disable android player completely.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-13-12 10:23 AM
    Buzz, I thought of you when I read this thread last night - I'm glad you chimed in. I thought of you though because your app is incredible (gets better with every update) and you're from Toronto, I'm from London, so it's nice to know great developers aren't far away. I read the thread though, and I'm not an astronomer by any means but was extremely surprised to not see your app listed, which suggested--to me--that based on the OP, your app was "garbage" which is definitely not the case.

I'll admit, in regular conversation, I have no filter. However, when it comes to saying things like in the OP, those are things better left unsaid because you'll definitely misstep. I understand the Android argument, but the "these are good apps, the rest are garbage" thing wasn't necessary. People have different preferences. There are a lot of developers in this forum that could take offense to what you said. Not even a New York City firefighter deserves to say things like that.
    In fact I supplied a list of apps that were essential to me and my particular preferences. Regarding the state of App World, well one doesn't need to be a genius to realize the dreck you need to wade through just to try and find a decent application.

In regards to Android apps I stand by my statement, no one can do insist that I try every android app before making a general statement on my experience with them.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-13-12 10:35 AM
    I do not see any gaps in my logic. I have not tried every android app available but every one I have has worked very poorly or not at all. I'm sorry if you take offence with this statement or feel it insults your work. Perhaps your application is the exception that works perfectly, but it comes too late for me. I have no need of android apps or Android tablets in fact I wish there was a way to disable android player completely.
    On the contrary, I respect your opinion regarding the Android player. If I took offence at your post at all, it was because you chose to be inflammatory rather than logical in tone.

The problem is that your logic is flawed (whatever you might think) and you did not provide valid reasons for your opinion. As a result, your post did not add anything to the tenor of this conversation. As a matter of fact, your continuing rants do not even support your original post - which was very clear: you do not think that any apps except "native" ones are acceptable. Your presumption in limiting "worthy" apps to the ones that you personally might have a use for is needlessly inflammatory.

By not being clear on what you mean by "native" and by displaying your narrow-minded perspective with regard to varying needs and interests among PB users, you just muddied the waters and weakened your position.
    06-13-12 10:45 AM
    You compare a particular runtime environment with a particular class of applications and come to the conclusion that App World sucks.
    Where did BBplaybookJS said that App World sucks?
    Don't make accusations or inflammatory remarks which a poster never said.
    06-13-12 01:25 PM
    I read the thread though, and I'm not an astronomer by any means but was extremely surprised to not see your app listed, which suggested--to me--that based on the OP, your app was "garbage" which is definitely not the case.
    Clearly you didn't read the thread carefully.
    BBplaybookJS never said he tested all apps.
    "Over the last few months I have tried a number of them."

and he provided a PERSONAL preference list.
    06-13-12 01:32 PM
    Book Reader
    AIR Browser
    Browser (default)
    Bridge Messages
    Music (terrible but haven't found anything better)
    Pictures

I have a bunch more but haven't used them enough to make my Essential list.
    What's Up
    Stellarium
    Ottawa Trash
    VNC (2 flavours, but my problem is with the server end )
    Bunch of games

I thought I wanted an app to keep track of my gas mileage and expenses but realized that while traveling the phone is much easier to get to
    spatialmongrel likes this.
    06-13-12 02:17 PM
    I did in fact purchase the gentleman's app quite some time ago.(because IIRC it had received positive reviews) I did try it once and do not recall anything negative about the experience, but it just wasn't something I was particularly interested in, hardly some I personally would consider essential.
    06-13-12 07:15 PM
    I have a bunch more but haven't used them enough to make my Essential list.
    What's Up
    Stellarium
    Ottawa Trash
    VNC (2 flavours, but my problem is with the server end )
    Bunch of games
    Yeehaw! Let's hear some love for Ottawa Trash! This app saves my bacon every time we have a stat holiday!
    06-13-12 09:06 PM
    Where did BBplaybookJS said that App World sucks?
    Don't make accusations or inflammatory remarks which a poster never said.
    OMG, you are absolutely right! OP did not say that App World sucks. In fact, he thinks that App World is a real shopper's paradise. No, I'm sorry... I do get carried away... What he actually thinks is along the line of the following direct quote from the man himself.

"Regarding the state of App World, well one doesn't need to be a genius to realize the dreck you need to wade through just to try and find a decent application."

And not one reference to the term "sucks". He thinks that App World is filled with dreck. I admit it - I am no genius and I am so sorry for judging OP so harshly.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-13-12 09:09 PM
    These are my go-to apps on the Playbook:

CrackBerry
    Browser
    RelaxBook Nature
    Mint.com
    Todays Alarm Clock
    APPY Geek
    Files & Folders
    Connect to TVersity (for watching movies on my LAN)
    Splashtop
    Pandora
    ES File Explorer (for accessing my movies via FTP)
    Repligo Reader (for reading PDFs)
    OfficeSuite Pro
    Citrix Receiver
    Poynt
    Video Chat
    Innovatology likes this.
    06-14-12 01:22 PM
    As far as I'm concerned :

I have replaced Files & Folders by PlayCloud

Nicolas
    06-15-12 03:05 AM
    Tons of Android apps run well on playbook. 2.1 beta has made tremendous improvements to android player. I experience no crashes at all nor my PlayBook hangs while running Android apps. Android apps feel as "native" as they can be. I've been using many android based apps for months : tapatalk,twitter,linkedin,realto.ca,documents to go ( I just love this one gives full access to Google docs on pb) etc etc all work perfectly well

My essentials apps are
    Antair nightstand
    Winamp
    Tapatalk
    Files anwd folders
    Documents to go
    Realtor.ca
    Last edited by bitek; 06-15-12 at 06:06 AM.
    Innovatology likes this.
    06-15-12 05:57 AM
    OMG, you are absolutely right! OP did not say that App World sucks. In fact, he thinks that App World is a real shopper's paradise. No, I'm sorry... I do get carried away... What he actually thinks is along the line of the following direct quote from the man himself.

"Regarding the state of App World, well one doesn't need to be a genius to realize the dreck you need to wade through just to try and find a decent application."

And not one reference to the term "sucks". He thinks that App World is filled with dreck. I admit it - I am no genius and I am so sorry for judging OP so harshly.
    Yup that's what I said. Es verdad
    06-16-12 09:12 AM
    Yup that's what I said. Es verdad
    It doesn't take a genius to realize that lots of people are buying apps that you consider to be "dreck". In fact, if what you say "es verdad" then the majority of people who buy non-native apps are just settling for sub-par merchandise. This sort of behaviour has got to be encouraging "bad" developers to continue to clutter the categories in App World with suckage.

You must be really annoyed at all those developers who make it so very difficult for you to find apps that you like. Do you have any general suggestions for developers like me so that we can decide if our apps are worthy of submitting to App World? And specifically, do you think that I should remove my very successful non-native app form sale in order to make it easier for people to find ones that you approve of?
    06-16-12 11:11 AM
    Do you have any general suggestions for developers like me so that we can decide if our apps are worthy of submitting to App World?
    Developers should pay attention to the reviews. There's usually a lot of info.
    And you cannot deny that there are many developers who is just in it for the money.
    Developers like you should give the customer what he wants - not having an attitude to customer to take or leave it.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-16-12 at 12:14 PM.
    06-16-12 12:11 PM
    Developers should pay attention to the reviews. There's usually a lot of info.
    And you cannot deny that there are many developers who is just in it for the money.
    Developers like you should give the customer what he wants - not having an attitude to customer to take or leave it.
    Thanks for the input. Development and marketing are complex issues and I am not certain that any of your three suggestions will help me make the OP any happier. I don't want to bore you by writing a book, but here are some of the thoughts off the top of my headr:

1. Customers often make invalid suggestions and request support in reviews instead of contacting the developer' via the support email address. User error or user inexperience are common reasons why the customer felt an obligation to write a poor review. For this reason, reviews are not a particularly good source of ideas or useful information. Many, if not most, of the ones that criticize performance are misinformed and/or lack an understanding of challenges facing developers. For example, I just got this one: "The compass is not great (slow to orient and sometimes plain wrong. ) but otherwise this is worth every penny." The writer obviously did not read the volumes of troubleshooting information contained within the app and does not know that any other compass app using the sensor at that particular moment would have shown exactly the same symptoms. Such reviews (and a get a lot of them) provide no useful information and actually mislead potential customers that read them. I could cite other problems, but suffice to say you suggestion to always heed reviews and act on the advice, is flawed at its core.

2. Of course developers who charge a fee for their products are in it for the money. It could also be demonstrated beyond a doubt the developers who lack pride in their work and ignore the requirement to respond in full to requests for support, will not do as well as those who do. So while your second suggestion is valid, it is strictly a motherhood statement and therefore does not help me improve my app or determine if the OP would be willing to purchase it.

3. When a customer makes a request, sometimes the response has to be that what the customer is asking for is not practical, is not possible or does not fit into the app's mission. A developer can't possibly be all things to all people and one who attempts to do so will not be able to focus on core competencies and excel in areas where the competition is weaker. There is no such thing as one size fits all when it comes to apps and it would be impractical to comply with every single consumer request.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 06-16-12 at 01:19 PM.
    06-16-12 01:15 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD