Anyone know or think that Applanet will work for the playbook? It was said that Playbook will run Android apps so then Applanet should then work on it right? This would make my day if it did
    04-12-11 12:11 PM
    Anyone know or think that Applanet will work for the playbook? It was said that Playbook will run Android apps so then Applanet should then work on it right? This would make my day if it did
    Android apps have to be submitted and approved by RIM, so it's HIGHLY unlikely. Plus, for the same previously mentioned reason, I doubt it would even work.

A lot of people have the wrong idea. It's not so much that Android apps can just be downloaded onto your Playbook, it's more like the Playbook can run Android apps as a different method of development for the Playbook, but they still have to be approved and distributed through App World.
    04-12-11 12:14 PM
    Yeah and I'm pretty sure they won't allow an app that pirates paid apps either on App World.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-11 12:26 PM
    I was wondering about this... So the deliverance of Android apps will be through the BlackBerry App World?? If this is so, I guess you won't know if you're downloading Android Apps (?). Could it also be safe to assume that the number of Android Apps you see in the Android App store won't necessarily "just add up" with the BlackBerry App world apps?
    04-12-11 12:31 PM
    I was wondering about this... So the deliverance of Android apps will be through the BlackBerry App World?? If this is so, I guess you won't know if you're downloading Android Apps (?). Could it also be safe to assume that the number of Android Apps you see in the Android App store won't necessarily "just add up" with the BlackBerry App world apps?
    I don't know that you'd know or not know. Like I said, I think it's more of a bonus to Android developers to be able to submit their app to RIM and it will run on the Playbook with no porting necessary. It definitely requires a second approval by RIM though, so you won't be able to get just any Android app on your Playbook. If you have an Android app you really like though, I'd drop them an email and ask them if they plan on submitting their app to RIM for the Playbook as well. It takes almost no work on their end and then they have a second release platform, so most decent Android apps will probably be released on the App World as well if their developers are smart.
    04-12-11 12:35 PM
    Android apps have to be submitted and approved by RIM, so it's HIGHLY unlikely. Plus, for the same previously mentioned reason, I doubt it would even work.

A lot of people have the wrong idea. It's not so much that Android apps can just be downloaded onto your Playbook, it's more like the Playbook can run Android apps as a different method of development for the Playbook, but they still have to be approved and distributed through App World.
    Besides, I don't think Android apps on BB is expected at launch. I think that's going to be a few months away. So, you're going to have to wait for that, and for Applanet to submit their app to RIM and lastly, for RIM to approve the app and post to Appworld.
    04-12-11 12:37 PM
    If you have an Android app you really like though,
    I'm more just looking for numbers and options, less so interested in specific applications.
    04-12-11 12:37 PM
    I'm more just looking for numbers and options, less so interested in specific applications.
    You are looking to have 200,000 apps, regardless of what these apps are?
    04-12-11 07:02 PM
    Well, useful apps would be nice. But "useful" really depends on who you talk to.

I know that the more apps that appeal to a greater audience means larger gains...means good news for the average consumer.
    04-12-11 08:13 PM
    Well, useful apps would be nice. But "useful" really depends on who you talk to.

I know that the more apps that appeal to a greater audience means larger gains...means good news for the average consumer.
    More variety is always good, but after the first 20 fart apps the next 80 seem redundant.

Too many apps doing a similar thing drives down prices and also revenues in an app industry that is struggling to find viable monetization strategy. It actually slows the pace of innovation compared to three or four strong vendors competing.
    04-12-11 08:32 PM
    Touch. I agree.

There's a degree of creativity needed; I think the playbook will be a good platform to exercise this creativity.
    04-12-11 09:12 PM

yes it will, this guy got applanet runnning on his playbook check the link

07-03-12 08:16 AM
    Isn't this that 3rd party Android app store that's run by an child, not unlike BGR?

It's all pirated (which you probably already know) and I would put him on blast on Facebook when he would try and farm for more money from people who didn't realize you can just download an Android pack from some torrent site.
    07-03-12 08:39 AM
    Yeah, I've got it running on OS 2.1 beta. Seems to work OK.
    07-03-12 11:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD