Hey all,

Is there an app to keep the screen active while in an app that doesn't have this feature? I know Battery Guru has the keep alive feature but it displays a message that Battery Guru has to be active and either maximized or tiled and displayed on the screen. I'm looking for a way to keep Google Maps with Navigation running while in the truck while it's running maximized.

Mike
    04-20-12 10:36 AM
    Hey all,

Is there an app to keep the screen active while in an app that doesn't have this feature? I know Battery Guru has the keep alive feature but it displays a message that Battery Guru has to be active and either maximized or tiled and displayed on the screen. I'm looking for a way to keep Google Maps with Navigation running while in the truck while it's running maximized.

Mike
    You can use : Stay ON
    Or antair nightstand, simplebrowser but those have to be active ( showcase mode )
    04-20-12 10:46 AM
    You can use : Stay ON
    Or antair nightstand, simplebrowser but those have to be active ( showcase mode )
    Thats what I'm asking. I'm looking for an app that will keep another app running and active when the secondary app is maximized. Any of the apps that I have tried all have to be showing on the screen somewhere as in tiled, otherwise the keep alive function doesn't work with an app without the function running full screen.

STAY ON appears to run the same way, has to be at least tiled and showing on the screen somewhere for the keep alive function to work.

Mike
    04-20-12 10:58 AM
    Mike, the reason I wrote that dialog the way I did is because this restriction applies to all apps, with no exceptions. It's an OS limitation.

Therefore the only way to have that app keep the screen on would be to get the developer of that app to add the required support (or get someone to modify it, if that's possible).

Also I'm not even sure an Android app (or WebWorks) has access to the "keep awake" capability the way AIR and Native ones do.
    04-20-12 11:02 AM
    By the way, doesn't Magellan Compass provide the same functionality as you're getting out of Google Maps? Or do you need the upcoming turn-by-turn support for what you need? I know Magellan even in the current version has the Keep Awake functionality designed into it too.
    04-20-12 11:03 AM
    Mike, the reason I wrote that dialog the way I did is because this restriction applies to all apps, with no exceptions. It's an OS limitation.

Therefore the only way to have that app keep the screen on would be to get the developer of that app to add the required support (or get someone to modify it, if that's possible).

Also I'm not even sure an Android app (or WebWorks) has access to the "keep awake" capability the way AIR and Native ones do.
    I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info.

Mike
    04-20-12 11:04 AM
    By the way, doesn't Magellan Compass provide the same functionality as you're getting out of Google Maps? Or do you need the upcoming turn-by-turn support for what you need? I know Magellan even in the current version has the Keep Awake functionality designed into it too.
    Yeah I need the turn by turn, but the other thing I'm concerned about is if I purchase it now, is there going to be another charge because the turn by turn is a major upgrade requiring an additional fee.

Do you know if the current Magellan supports downloading of area maps to run offline in a vehicle?

Mike
    04-20-12 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD