I'm sure this question has already been answered, but i couldnt find it anywhere. First off i must say I love the playbook, and I seem to be a lucky one that not having to deal with alot of the issues alot of other people are. I'm able to bridge to my 9700 with no problems, bridge browser works fine, no dead pixels, etc.

What i am wanting to find out, is when bridged you have internet access but when i open app world says there is no internet connection. Can app world only be used while on wifi?

Thanks for all the research, testing, troubleshooting everyone has been helping with in these early days of the PB launch. Its been really helpful to alot of people.

Thanks,
    Scoobs
    04-21-11 08:19 AM
    Yes, basically nothing but the browser works via the bridge at the moment. Everthing else must have a wifi connection. I for one hope they change this...

Guess we wait and see :-)
    ScoobsDM likes this.
    04-21-11 08:26 AM
    I just posted a thread on how I got WiFi + Bridge to work. Check it out, try it and see if it also works for you.
    04-21-11 08:26 AM
    i havent had a problem with that. I have been running wifi + bridge daily, when i discovered app world didnt work i was running directly off my phone in an area where no wifi was present. I was wanting to download a scientific calc for some easy number crunching and couldnt do it. so of course had to bring out the trusty TI 89 to help me along.
    04-21-11 08:34 AM
    I know this is a really old post but I've just got my PlayBook today and wondered if it's the same.

My application world only works on wifi and not when bridged, not too much of a problem really but would be nice to download on the go too lol

Cheers
    05-24-12 01:34 AM
    No change - still need wifi for appworld.
    05-24-12 10:21 AM
    that's weird. I'm at work, not on wifi and I have access to app world. I just tested this out before my 10AM meeting (I was looking up some note apps).

I didn't download anything, but I was able to pull up app world and search / browse applications.
    05-24-12 10:24 AM
    That is strange I will have to investigate a little more

Edit- I've had a look and I can see no problems. I'm using a 9800 and both are fully uptodate software wise every thing elses works as I'm posting this with it bridged now lol and I've got a good 3G signal

Any advice welcome.

Cheers
    Last edited by tubbyandtattooed; 05-24-12 at 12:06 PM. Reason: More info added
    05-24-12 10:31 AM
    For what i know, bridge will not work with AppWorld. To make it work, you can set your phone as a hotspot and then everything will work including AppWorld. But that of course may incur additional charges.

- Charles
    05-24-12 12:15 PM
    For what i know, bridge will not work with AppWorld. To make it work, you can set your phone as a hotspot and then everything will work including AppWorld. But that of course may incur additional charges.

- Charles
    Thx I don't think I need to go to that lengh as I don't think I'll need to do it very often lol I've sideloaded the appear that I really need and the rest ill do at home and work if needed. I just wanted to make sure it was normal as I've only just got the playbook.

Thx guys
    05-24-12 12:22 PM
    It seems BlackBerry News and App World still won't get an internet connection while bridged, even with the latest versions of these apps and the PB OS.

When I use Digital Journal app on my PB (an excellent news app if I may say), it gets a connection no problem and I use it to read all sorts of articles at the coffee shop while bridged. Meanwhile, BlackBerry News app is unable to update subscriptions and is basically useless while bridged. This leads me to believe it is an issue in the way the apps are designed. As far as BlackBerry News goes, I think this app needs an update as I find the smartphone version to be better.
    09-10-12 12:17 AM
    As stated many times, the WiFi PlayBook will not connect to AppWorld without a WiFi connection. While most native PB apps, not all mind you, will work with a Bridged-connection, AppWorld still requires WiFi. If someone on a WiFi-only PlayBook has managed to get AppWorld to work with WiFi turned off and only using the Bridge connection, I would like to see a screenshot.
    09-11-12 10:31 AM
    09-11-12 12:56 PM
    A few months ago with the old os, I was upgrading some apps at home with wifi left for work and didn't turn AppWorld off. Got to work and to my surprise was still able to use AppWorld with no problems. Can't remember if it was for the whole time at work, but it did work for me once.
    09-12-12 07:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD